Just One Piece of Advice

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We don't run

Winner. You can have a sense of urgency but please don't run on scene. It brings the stress level of bystanders, family members, the patient and co-responders up. Walk briskly like an ER doc to a code blue on the other side of freakin campus today, even if it turned out to be a vasovagal syncope while she was getting blood drawn in the clinic...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
"don't be a toolbag"

This one is my favorite, along with "don't be a sh!thead."

Think about why before doing something. Always have a reason to do something that you can defend.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Maintain your composure. Treat every patient with respect, courtesy and professionalism regardless of their circumstances or why they have called

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
You are there for your patient; not family, not bystanders. THE PATIENT.

Don't be worried about things like "addicting your patient to pain meds" if they hurt stop the pain.
If a patient tells you something listen to them. They know themselves better than you; doesn't matter if they are telling you where the best vein is for an IV or that they feel like they are going to have a seizure.
My wife has one good vein, doesn't matter that a few look good or even better than the one she tells them to use. One good vein. Don't stick a patient 10 times because you think you know them better than they know themselves.

EMTHokie

Forum Probie
We don't run

Winner. You can have a sense of urgency but please don't run on scene. It brings the stress level of bystanders, family members, the patient and co-responders up. Walk briskly like an ER doc to a code blue on the other side of freakin campus today, even if it turned out to be a vasovagal syncope while she was getting blood drawn in the clinic...

This goes contrary to what I was told on a call. Called to a nursing home go in asses and the medic told me to run (and he emphasized the word run) back out to the medic and get the Life Pack... So are there certain situations where you should or is it pretty much a blanket "don't run" policy?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
This goes contrary to what I was told on a call. Called to a nursing home go in asses and the medic told me to run (and he emphasized the word run) back out to the medic and get the Life Pack... So are there certain situations where you should or is it pretty much a blanket "don't run" policy?

That falls under "don't be a tool bag and take your equipment to bedside"

There's no excuse for not being prepared to treat your patient.

EMTHokie

Forum Probie
That falls under "don't be a tool bag and take your equipment to bedside"

There's no excuse for not being prepared to treat your patient.

I was wondering why we didn't take it in in the first place but wasn't really in a position to ask at that point

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"We don't run"= the time saved is often miniscule, you ought to be prepared, and running just stirs you and the bystanders up. Plus the decision to run is offten rooted in panic, or the need to look dynamic, or use some nervous energy up.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
As long as you believe EMS is your 'calling', you will hinder it's progression as a profession.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Go home safely. Don't get hurt. Don't get stuck. Don't get exposed. Don't bring anything home to your family.

Sasha

Forum Chief
"We don't run"= the time saved is often miniscule, you ought to be prepared, and running just stirs you and the bystanders up. Plus the decision to run is offten rooted in panic, or the need to look dynamic, or use some nervous energy up.

I'm really clumsy. I don't think it would instill confidence to run.... And trip.

Although I have managed to ninja roll back on to my feet twice. That looks kinda cool.

Sasha the EMS Ninja.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have two.

Don't be a jerk face

And

Brush your teeth.

No one wants to talk to you if your breath stinks.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
My advice would probably be:

Fight for your "profession", because you will never get good pay, benefits, and a career ladder if all you do is complain about not having good pay, benefits, and a career ladder. (And don't expect to get any respect if you sell out your profession to another.)