Just one more thing to think about when it comes to scene safety!!

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
So I had an e-mail forward to me (from an LEO) about another weapon that is now on the market that you need to keep in mind when it comes to scene safety. I have seen canes that have swords in them, but it takes a few seconds to take it out and you have some time (not much, a few seconds) to see what is going on to run. But now they have canes out there that has stun guns built into the end of it. If you don't know what to look for you will over look it.

Here is the link so you know what to look for

http://budk.com/Self-Defense/ZAP-Cane-With-Flashlight

I do not have any documentation of this item being used on any LEO and or EMS personal, if I did, I would post it. I think that IA found this weapon and forwarded it on to keep everyone safe.

Please keep your eyes open and your heads up while on scene to stay safe out there

EDIT: No I am not posting this to help sell this item. I did not want to step on any toes, so I asked a MOD (Chimpie)if it was ok to post this since you are able to buy it from this site and I was gavethe ok since it has to do with scene safety.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Try this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd1SRtkhh-U[/YOUTUBE]

.22 Cell Phone Gun

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I have not seen the .22 cellphone gun before. I will be passing this on to my LEO buddy. Lets keep this going, there is more harm in out there that we do not know about. If you know of any weapon that can compromise scene safety, post it here so we can learn and be safe out there.

Thank you medicRob for the posting.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'd so carry a 0.22 cell phone gun if it was legal in California.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you know of any weapon that can compromise scene safety

Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

Of course ANY weapon CAN compromise scene safety, as can a lot of NON-weapons.

I understand the point you are making but no amount of exposure to "known weapons" will ever make a scene safe. What makes a scene safe is maintaining a high index of suspicion (not just for MOI), constantly reevaluating the scene, and observing for any potential weapons. A phone book or a glass of ice tea sitting beside a patient can be just as harmful as any stun gun or .22 cell phone when in right hands, with right force or projection on an unsuspecting medical professional.

In theory, this thread to me is not overly helpful as it may tunnel vision some people to look for certain types of weapons instead of being in the mindset of EVERYTHING is a weapon.

Harvey

Forum Lieutenant
Who and there right mind would even own a cell phone gun. what do people do with cell phones put them up to their heads. Im not a gun control advocate but that is just begging to create an accident. sry to be off topic

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Agree with AK.

My best advice is not to be on the lookout for any particular weapon, just to be perceptive. I know a guy who was a Paramedic Police Officer in New Orleans several years ago (pre-Katrina), and he was on a GSW call in the projects. He and his partner were canvassing the neighborhood looking for witnesses while another pair were working the victim, who was hit but hanging on, while a group of people who "saw nothin" milled around. The pair working the pt were so focused on what they were doing that neither of them noticed when all the bystanders disappeared, and the shooter stepped up right behind the lead medic and put two more shots in the pt before running off. The PO/Ps were lucky that the guy didn't want to take any cops out while he was there.

The point is that almost anything can be used as a weapon on-scene, and patients who are completely unarmed are still extremely dangerous if they want to be. The best thing is to be perceptive and have an understanding with your partner about monitoring everything. My PO/P friend heard the "silence" from halfway across the projects and started coming back to check, but the guys working were too tunnel-visioned to hear or see the danger.

edit: @Harvey - I didn't watch the video, but I doubt the cell phone gun is actually a functioning cell phone - it's probably just a zip-gun made to look roughly like a cell phone. If it is actually capable of making phone calls I'd be fairly surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Who and there right mind would even own a cell phone gun. what do people do with cell phones put them up to their heads. Im not a gun control advocate but that is just begging to create an accident. sry to be off topic

How about cartel members who choose to fly in large airlines but still pack heat?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

Of course ANY weapon CAN compromise scene safety, as can a lot of NON-weapons.

Nothing is either a weapon or non-weapon, but thinking makes it so. For example, my shotgun is no more a weapon and no less a toy than a baseball bat. Both can cause catastrophic damage if used incorrectly and both are used primarily for my enjoyment. Hence, my shotgun is not a weapon, but a toy. A toy that can be dangerous and needs to be used and stored cautiously (similar, but much more so, than a baseball bat), but the intent of ownership is not one that it is used as a weapon.