Just Graduate EMT Basic

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
hey guys,

well today i graduated and I'm overly excited and eager to begin working in the field so I have started my search looking for EMT or ERT positions using hospital websites and I am basically coming up with nothing I don't know maybe I am not putting int the rite keywords. So I was wondering if you guys have any tips on how I should begin my employment search??? HELP!!!!

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Location?

And by graduated do you mean you also obtained your NR and/or state license?

If so, congratulations! In hospitals I found that keyboards (searching entire posts, not just titles) were tech, PCT, and EMT (found in requirements). Just googling doesn't hurt either, though mind where you end up. If you want to work with the city services then you'll have to go through their website, of course, and if you wanted to work for a private service you are best off just googling "(city) (state) ambulance". I assure you they are out there.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Location?

And by graduated do you mean you also obtained your NR and/or state license?

If so, congratulations! In hospitals I found that keyboards (searching entire posts, not just titles) were tech, PCT, and EMT (found in requirements). Just googling doesn't hurt either, though mind where you end up. If you want to work with the city services then you'll have to go through their website, of course, and if you wanted to work for a private service you are best off just googling "(city) (state) ambulance". I assure you they are out there.
Just state I'm holding off on NR because I plan to move to florida and even with NR I was told I would have to take there state equivalency exam

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
NR is all that is needed here in Florida (for EMT-B), last I checked.
We take our state exam on the last day of class, then have to pass the NREMT before we can apply for our state cert and start working.

Either way, you need to get your NREMT (which is more difficult than the state test).

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
NR is all that is needed here in Florida (for EMT-B), last I checked.
that's what I thought but when I call fl ems bureau i was informed other wise, i will call again tomorrow to confirm information but since your in Florida maybe you could let me know how the ems job market it down there

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
Well ive called fl state ems bureau again and was told that i was told wrong information and no longer need national registry to take fl state assessment just to pay the application fee

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
On NR- It is much easier to get early and maintain than to get later.

On JOBS- Get a coffee and park yourself across from the local ED and see who is dropping off patients. Then call/visit the stations of the companies you see.

OP
OP
B

BriaWright01

Forum Crew Member
That's a great idea and with the nr things there telling me a bunch of bs and sending me back and forth so im going to put nr off for now

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Well ive called fl state ems bureau again and was told that i was told wrong information and no longer need national registry to take fl state assessment just to pay the application fee

Correct. But you will still need to pass the NREMT before you can work.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Correct. But you will still need to pass the NREMT before you can work.

The major players over there are AMR and Americare. I believe both do auxiliary 911 for the FD's in Hillsborough County. There are also a few small BLS IFT companies. My friend works for one, and they start at $10/h.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is much better to take the NR exam soon after finishing your class. Why study twice?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Do it now while the info is fresh in your brain. You will feel better after passing it and not be stressing out trying to study and get ready for it while doing the holidaysholidays