Just got laid off!!

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
So I have worked for this little transfer company for over just two months, it's a great job for a lazy man, about an average of four calls a day. Well my boss called me at my house a day before I was scheduled to come in and told me that he has hired an intermediate ( who just got out of jail for welfare fraud) I know this bc I was approached a couple of weeks prior by another supervisor trying to get this guy hired because he's a friend. He told me it was between me and another emt- b and he needs higher certified people... I just passed my paramedic final exam.... So I was like BS... The other emt isn't in any paramedic class and doesnt even want too. Not sure why they laid me off and they won't give me clear reason... Never was written up or anything...I over analyze everything but I guess I got took by the good ole boy system..... Guess more time to finish clinicals:)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You know you're in trouble when...

it's a great job for a lazy man, about an average of four calls a day
Probably paying him less than you, too, you hope.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
In a right to work state there's no need to give a reason. However, ask yourself, did you REALLY want to work there? Remember your reputation is everything.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Haha... Yeah I guess... I know as a basic you really make nothing... If they pay him more then a gas station attendant then he's making more then me:p

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Don't you guys have Employment Contracts when you sign up for jobs over there?
If you are new to a job here (in New Zealand) there is a clause that you have to work for say...
3 months and that gives the Employer time to decide if they want to keep you on or not.
(I know you said you were only there for 2 months).
But they have to give you some reason as to why they are letting you go.

After the appointed time...it's is very very hard for an employer to fire you. There has to be a verbal, then 2 written warnings first. (I think it is)
You can take them to court if they don't follow the letter of the law, for unfair dismissal and most classes are won in favour of the worker.

emt-mike

Forum Crew Member
most states have "at will employment" meaning they can fire and hire when ever they want without reason.
It also means they can't (legally) disclose the reason you were fired if your next employer were to call and ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
most states have "at will employment" meaning they can fire and hire when ever they want without reason.
It also means they can't (legally) disclose the reason you were fired if your next employer were to call and ask.

Sounds like no protection for the worker or the next employer....sad.:sad:

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Don't you guys have Employment Contracts when you sign up for jobs over there?
If you are new to a job here (in New Zealand) there is a clause that you have to work for say...
3 months and that gives the Employer time to decide if they want to keep you on or not.
(I know you said you were only there for 2 months).
But they have to give you some reason as to why they are letting you go.

After the appointed time...it's is very very hard for an employer to fire you. There has to be a verbal, then 2 written warnings first. (I think it is)
You can take them to court if they don't follow the letter of the law, for unfair dismissal and most classes are won in favour of the worker.

It varies greatly based upon the field of work as well as your state laws. I think every state has a 3 month 'trial' period to where they can fire you without any reason. If it's within those 3 months then unemployment can't be collected. Usually there are steps that each company sets in place as far as corrective measures leading to termination. It's more of a kind gesture versus a law in a lot of cases. Like I said before, it varies greatly based upon state and company.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
Well I have worked for a company before that was at will hire/ fire and this company had no such paperwork... Actually it was basically me applying and being hired right on the spot.so hopefully I can collect some unemployment till I find my next better then before job

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For my company we can be fired easily in the first 6 months. Then after that you have 3 warnings and then you go on a contract. If you get in an car accident cause by you while on duty you are put back on a probabition time for 18 months where you can get fired for anything basically.

OP
OP
E

Emt512

Forum Crew Member
I don't know but they also have a guy working there who just got off probation for smoking weed on shift while on an ambulance... How he still have a job is beyond me....

nemedic

Forum Captain
I don't know but they also have a guy working there who just got off probation for smoking weed on shift while on an ambulance... How he still have a job is beyond me....

It's people like that giving EMS a bad name. And people wonder why (aside from the whole education thing) pay is so low in EMS. As long as we tolerate people like this, we are destined to have conditions that require two full time jobs in quite a few areas to have any chance of living "comfortably".

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Haha.. I been told that alot by family in this situation.. So maybe there's some truth in it. Besides I would of quitfor a better job as soon as I Pass the national registry anyways

Thanks .. I feel better

Can you use the time to study more for the National Registry ?

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
It's people like that giving EMS a bad name. And people wonder why (aside from the whole education thing) pay is so low in EMS. As long as we tolerate people like this, we are destined to have conditions that require two full time jobs in quite a few areas to have any chance of living "comfortably".

Education and character are too different things.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/rss/s_505048.html

This MD was educated beyond a 100 hr course....