Just Failed

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
As mentioned before, there should be some practice books in your local library. I'm in Canada, and even in my local library there is a book of NREMT questions. I have been studying everything I can get my hands on these days (classic presentation of the over-eager rookie :p) and passed all three practice tests (with atleast 80%). I'm not sure if all practice tests are created equal, but studying should definately improve your outcome next time. Good luck!

John E

Forum Captain
In addition to what Ridryder wrote, I seem to recall signing an agreement in which I agreed to not disclose any of the NREMT questions or answers after taking the test. That's probably at least one reason why there aren't more direct study guides out there, that and the fact that they claim to use well over a thousand questions in some sort of random pattern.

So far as EMT students and their study habits. Given the complexity of the EMT curriculum, if a student has only a competent teacher along with the current edition of the AAOS textbook, anyone who needs to study more than a few hours per day in order to get a passing grade is, in my opinion only, not suited for becoming an EMT. The textbook material is just not that hard.

Passing the NREMT shouldn't be difficult for anyone who's passes an EMT class and who does a minimum of advance preparation before taking the exam.

John E.

MikeTheBlade

Forum Probie
yeah i passed my NREMT on the first try a month after my class ended and did not open my book at all after the class ended!

work hard in class and you will be good. so many people half fast the emt class and edge by with a passing grade and get DOMINATED by the NREMT

put your work in the class and the test is cake

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I think out of the 25 who started in my Intermediate class 9 of us (maybe less?) passed and were allowed to take NREMT. Of course we all had to retake NREMT cause they taught us wrong for Advanced Level Trauma Patient Assessment, but I owned it next time I took it. Tho I taught it to myself. Hah.

I also studied every single day and on class days I got there 2 hours early and reviewed, studied, made hundreds of flash cards, always met with the instructor before class and asked dozens of questions. I also tutored my classmates. Yes, I overachieved, but I didn't gun. Too much. I think.

piranah

Forum Captain
idk

i went in and i studied so damn hard for a month, but hey when your sitting there and your PT codes and you cant remember what your next step is....i dont know what to say to ya man...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
i went in and i studied so damn hard for a month, but hey when your sitting there and your PT codes and you cant remember what your next step is....i dont know what to say to ya man...

What is " physical therapy codes" is that like Range of Motion (ROM) 455.99? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

piranah

Forum Captain
no no... by PT i mean patient and code i mean cardiac arrest...:)

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
always, always study for a test. even if you think you know it all and are ready still study anyhow, it never hurts :) personally the thing i found most helpful was studying with my partner from class and going through scenarios. facts are easy to memorize but the critical thinking can take a bit to get used to.