Just Because

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I'll listen to a medic if they give a good reason. Even if they're just covering all the bases, they should have a better reason than "just because."

I will listen to a medic because they are they are a higher license level. They do not need to give a good reason. For crying out loud, it is not like he was asking the basic to do something above their license level.

Maybe here on the internet world you can just challenge every little thing a medic tells you to do, but in my state and on my service if you have a higher license level you are in charge of the patient.

The medic was transferring care to the basic with the instructions to put the patient on o2... once in the rig if the basic wanted to discontinue o2 therapy after the assessment... then so be it. At that point it is their call... dont get so butt hurt just because someone told you to do something.

I have used the term "just because" with a smile and a wink in front of a patient before because sometimes it is more relaxing for the patient to think that the care and steps being taken are precautionary instead of giving specific clinical reasons.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You project a sheep mentality.

No medic or basic should ever use "just because" as an excuse. It doesnt show youre precautionary, it shows that you are uneducated and feel like you have got to do SOMETHING even though nothing is indicated.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I will listen to a medic because they are they are a higher license level. They do not need to give a good reason. For crying out loud, it is not like he was asking the basic to do something above their license level.

Maybe here on the internet world you can just challenge every little thing a medic tells you to do, but in my state and on my service if you have a higher license level you are in charge of the patient.

The medic was transferring care to the basic with the instructions to put the patient on o2... once in the rig if the basic wanted to discontinue o2 therapy after the assessment... then so be it. At that point it is their call... dont get so butt hurt just because someone told you to do something.

I have used the term "just because" with a smile and a wink in front of a patient before because sometimes it is more relaxing for the patient to think that the care and steps being taken are precautionary instead of giving specific clinical reasons.

It's not challenging anyone to ask why in a polite manner out of earshot of the partner. It's not like anyone has a problem actually putting the o2 on, but if a medic says "why don't you put her on it," don't you think it might be prudent to ask why she needs the oxygen?

Nothing wrong with being honest with patient either, many of the people we treat do want to know what is wrong with them and what we are doing for them. Mitigating circumstances (ie anxiety) aside, we need to be honest with our patients like every other healthcare provider is.

Sent from my out of area communications device.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I once used "protocol" to justify to the ED nurse why the patient was on a NRB. I don't think I've ever felt dirtier after a call than after that call.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
It was wrong for the medic to use "just because" as a reason. It would also be just as wrong to "call out" another provider on scene. The right thing to do would be to realize that it's not worth picking a fight over, continue the medic's treatment until you do your own assessment, and get on with life.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
You project a sheep mentality.

No medic or basic should ever use "just because" as an excuse. It doesnt show youre precautionary, it shows that you are uneducated and feel like you have got to do SOMETHING even though nothing is indicated.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha, your inconsiderate and out of line comments like calling me, someone you do not even know uneducated is why your opinions are largely ignored.

Just because, is not always an excuse. If your personality you put across on here is the same that yuo share with your patients then well... you just would not understand what my post was saying.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Sasha, your inconsiderate and out of line comments like calling me, someone you do not even know uneducated is why your opinions are largely ignored.

Just because, is not always an excuse. If your personality you put across on here is the same that yuo share with your patients then well... you just would not understand what my post was saying.

I'm not sure where you are being called uneducated. I take this as directed to the medic that gave his reasoning for O2 as "just because".

---
- Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I'm just going to stand here and put one thing into the conversation that, I believe, has been said before, but I'm going to say it again.

This whole confusion could have been ended with a SIMPLE "May I ask for reasoning behind the oxygen? Is she having any chest pain/difficulty breathing/indications O2 will make her transport a bit easier?"

It seems like many people seem to have some communication problems with other departments and other medics/ems providers, if something as simple as "I'm going to put her on O2 just because" turns into such a heated debate, bordering an argument.

Sasha

Forum Chief

It was a general you, not you personally. I don't know you and don't care if you ignore my opinion or not. Honestly, you're just another person on a message board.

My personality here is largely the same. I'm a patient advocate, I will always advocate FOR MY PATIENTS. Putting them on O2 will show up on their bill, and if they DO NOT need o2, why would I consent to administer a treatment that in my opinion is not clinically indicated and the person who is requesting said treatment is not able to provide me with a reason beyond "just 'cause you know."

It doesn't show anyone that "Just cause you know" you (general) are being proactive or percautionary. It just shows that you (again, a general you) are not educated or comfortable enough to know when not doing something is completely fine, thus must always DO something, therefore you (general) put them on O2 so YOU (general) feel like you've "done something".

If we are going to do stuff just to show the patient we are doing something, why don't we put every patient on high flow o2, monitor, IV of NS at TKO with a lights and sirens transport to the hospital.

After all, wont they feel better knowing that you(general) are taking percautions that are not clinically indicated?

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Sorry Sasha... that was a douch thing to say. I didnt mean it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I think maybe i'll give the patient some cardizem...just cause you know.

Had a call working convalescence recently to discharge a patient, and when I went in the room I found them on a mag drip. Diabetic with wildly fluctuating sugar and just finishing a mag drip. Do I have the right to ask why and inquire about the patients recent treatments, or is "just because" good enough for me?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Is the medic not coming with you? Then ill do my own assessment, thank you very much. I dont think its too much to ask. Would the medic do any different if i was transfering care to him? i doubt it