Junior fire fighter duties.

rsdemt

Forum Crew Member
wHEN i WAS AN emt IN vA.
Our station had junior fiirefighters.
As I remember they were basic "go get stuff" person.
They were not allowed to do live firefighting, were not involved in auto accidents (except traffic control, or other minor duties.)
I have a friend who brags about being a Jr. firefighter, and going into house fires. Helping with extrications, and making him sound like "super firefighter."
In your department, what are the duties of a junior firefighter?
Even as an EMT, I had basic fire fighter training.
Hooking hoses to hydrants, throwing ladders, tying ropes, scba etc.
I did more on a fire scene than junior firefighters. I was in more dangerous, type situations than they were.
I really want to debate with him. But I want to know, exactly want Jr. firefighters can and can not do.

Any one in Va. would be real helpful, but all responses welcome.
Thank you all !
Steve.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I'd post this question on a fire forum site. There are numerous fire haters here, and I'll be surprised if you get an objective answer to your query. But, maybe I'll be proven wrong?

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
The closest we have here in Phoenix is a Cadet program. They are very few in number and very well trained (considering that they're volunteer cadets), and even then they are not allowed to fight fires, extricate, or do anything that requires donning an SCBA.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a junior program but its primarily educational. Our insurance won't allow them to respond to any EMS calls and allows only minimal participation on fire scenes.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My bet is that they is lying. Or that the program they are associated with is very poorly run.

Here is a good forum to look at. and I suggest you do a search first before you ask a question like that or they will jump down your trachea :)P).
http://forums.firehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=320

And I did the same as you when I was an explorer. "fetch" stuff.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Around here, you MIGHT see juniors functioning in a rescue role, like assisting in extrication... they can't run the tools... but they can crib, stage equipment, and help with patient movement if trained.

You don't go into fires until you are 18... per PA Labor and Industry.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Not allowed on scene. They clean the station and attend training.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
When I was an explorer we had to get to level 3, have our hazmat, and MFR and then we could do ride outs. We were allowed to assist in patient care. For fires we stood back and watched but were allowed to help with mop up but only after all the dangers were gone.