Joining Volunteer EMS?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm now living in North Carolina, and they require that non-affiliated EMS folks pay quite a bit of money for CEUs. If I was affiliated with an EMS/Fire agency, the state would cover it.

I don't see myself as the volunteer FF/EMS type, but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share your experiences in volunteer agencies. Would I be able to make it a minimal part of my life and still be seen as a good volunteer? What about just EMS instead of FF too?

Thanks,

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I'm now living in North Carolina, and they require that non-affiliated EMS folks pay quite a bit of money for CEUs. If I was affiliated with an EMS/Fire agency, the state would cover it.

I don't see myself as the volunteer FF/EMS type, but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share your experiences in volunteer agencies. Would I be able to make it a minimal part of my life and still be seen as a good volunteer? What about just EMS instead of FF too?

Thanks,

anyone who volunteers any amount of time is good. I only volunteer ambulance but thats how its done around here. Usually you do 1 or the other as they are 2 different organizations in NY.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Thanks,

I just posted about this on another topic-- and I am running out the door now.

I am in the process of joining a volunteer Ambulance company-- because I have a lot of time over the summer, but nothing after September. Their immediate response is that they would love any help they can get...
In the community where I am volunteering, they are a merely seasonal town-- they get about 400 calls a year (3-4/day during the summer). If they can get crew that know their policies, know their ambulance and know the community, they are very happy. I advise you to contact the coordinator and explain your situation-- I am sure you can work something out.

Good Luck!!
DES

emtbuff

Forum Captain
I do my EMS as a volley. Here we are able to do both ff and ems if your voted on in both areas but is mostly one or the other. I know some other communities only allow one or the other also. As for Requirments we prefer to have everyone run at least one 12 hour shift a month or cover people for that equivalient. we have 2 shifts that are 12 hours i know one community close by does 4 hour shifts and you sign up for what you want if you wanna run 24 hours you can or if you want an 8 hour, etc... There are also the departments that mass respond if you are available and take the first few people that are availble to go depending on the call. I agree that most of the time the departments are happy with what ever you can help with. And for the most part you can find someone to cover if something comes up and you can't take the shift. Also here most departments offer training that you need to have at the meeting nights or have 2 meetings one for regular business and one for training more of a fun night. Plus then there are the events that you get the chance to stand by at or do demos, or explain what exactly it is you do. And depending on their rules and ability they do sometimes reimburse you for time away from family etc. But isn't always common. As always if you have more questions you can let me know.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I love volunteering. In a small volunteer rescue squad (like I’m guessing they have in NC) or combination fire/ems department, you can do just ems. It’s a great way to meet the locals and can give your life a little more excitement. I highly recommend it.

As far as time commitment, that varies depending on the agency. You are going to be given a pager and respond to calls from home and/or come in and work a shift. These rural agencies don’t run many calls so you’ll have plenty of time to grade papers at the station or whatever. Hopefully the station will have high speed internet and other essentials. Just give them a call and ask if you can ride along. Most of these places are having trouble recruiting and would absolutely love to hear from you.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it would be a great idea! Go for it! B):)B)

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant

Thanks,

I use to be on a volunteer service back in 03 and some of the calls I heard where the kind that no 2 were the same,every call was different in some way,shape,or form. The call that sticks out in my head the most is the drownings in July of 2003,4th of July to be exact. 7 people drowned in 1 day due to the amount of undertows that day after a storm had past but the thing was that normally the lake is choppy afterwards and it was nice and calm,talk about strange. Our service transported 2 juveniles with severe exhaustion cuz 1 of them got caught in a rip current and the other went out to get him. Our service was 3rd in on the call cuz it was in the neighboring service's area. Talk about a helltic day!

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
The service I worked for was Weesaw Twp Ambulance and it is a volunteer service,mostly made up of EMTs,there were also 4 MFRs. Our shifts ran anywhere from 12 hours to 72 hours,it just depended on what you could work and what you are scheduled for. The service use to be part of the fire department when the service was first started. We only got paid $1.75 an hour when we were just sittin around and $10 an hour for MFRs and $12.50 an hour for EMTs when we were on a call. Our call times lasted anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours,depending on what type of call it was.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I would recommend that if you are joining a volunteer agency with the intent of getting something you need from it, you should be very upfront in the beginning with the administration of that agency.

Many volunteer agencies require more than just EMS response from their volunteers. A committment towards community events, fund raisers, mowing the lawn at the station, cleaning the toilets, and generally pitching in wherev er help is needed. This investment of time varies wildly depending on the make up of the station so I think its important to be clear what your expectations are from the agency as well as what they are going to expect from you.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Many volunteer agencies require more than just EMS response from their volunteers. A committment towards community events, fund raisers, mowing the lawn at the station, cleaning the toilets, and generally pitching in wherev er help is needed.

A good point, but if you are active answering calls the slackers that don't go on calls can clean the toilets, etc.