I've Been Served!!!!

OP
OP
C

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Update

As of today the suit has officially been dropped. I had the opportunity to speak with the PT and her husband. I explained my actions and the respect I have for all of my patients. Seems the husband had been convinced I stripped his wife naked in the middle of the street and let everyone see her and maybe take pictures. After showing him policy, explaining what actually happened they both apologized and agreed to drop the suit. Sorry for the delay but i had to wait until we knew for certain the suit was officially dropped. On a side note the attorney had convinced the PT that it was a bad idea to speak to me in the beginning as she had requested. Go figure.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
As of today the suit has officially been dropped. I had the opportunity to speak with the PT and her husband. I explained my actions and the respect I have for all of my patients. Seems the husband had been convinced I stripped his wife naked in the middle of the street and let everyone see her and maybe take pictures. After showing him policy, explaining what actually happened they both apologized and agreed to drop the suit. Sorry for the delay but i had to wait until we knew for certain the suit was officially dropped. On a side note the attorney had convinced the PT that it was a bad idea to speak to me in the beginning as she had requested. Go figure.

Congrats I didn't know anything about the suit till I read this but I'm glad it was resolved.

OP
OP
C

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Congrats I didn't know anything about the suit till I read this but I'm glad it was resolved.

Thanks. Had me upset for a while but all is good now.

nwhitney

Forum Captain

Congrats! That's great you were able to sit down with the pt & the husband to explain the situation. Imagine the stress, time, & money that could have been avoided if you had the chance to talk with the pt as she had originally wanted.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
glad to hear the suit was dropped.

just as a side note, anyone can sue anyone else for almost anything. it can be stupid, absurd, and make no sense, but they can still sue you.

now winning is a completely different story

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
glad to hear the suit was dropped.

just as a side note, anyone can sue anyone else for almost anything. it can be stupid, absurd, and make no sense, but they can still sue you.

now winning is a completely different story

Yet another reason to carry your own professional liability insurance. Just saying.

AmeriMedic21

Forum Crew Member
Common knowledge? That's BS, I don't know crap about what muslim people believe in. I also don't expect them to know crap about christianity! I guarantee you if you called medical control they would have instructed you to do exactly what you did. You acted in the best interest of the patient! You would have been in more trouble if you didn't do what you did! I honestly don't believe that this argument will hold up in court, but I'm neither a lawyer nor have I taken any formal legal classes so that is an Opinon.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
On a side note the attorney had convinced the PT that it was a bad idea to speak to me in the beginning as she had requested. Go figure.

Of course the attorney would say it was a bad idea......he/she/they had the patient convinced it was a perfectly good lawsuit and there was money to be had.

I know attorneys get a bad rap.....but there are those that defend/prosecute (which we need) and then there are those who are out for the almighty dollar (which give the good attorneys a bad rep).

njemtbvol

Forum Probie
As someone who has dealt with people of different faiths, and an orthodox Jew myself, I see this lawsuit as nothing more than malicious prosecution.
I've dealt with people with modesty issues, and I'm pretty sure than in most faiths preserving life trumps all.
If the county attorney doens't defend you, sue him/her for malpractice. This is a sad unfortunate aspect of ems, but just a reminder of how crazy the world is.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
and an orthodox Jew myself
Same here (I'm frum).

I agree, this is an attempt to extort money.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Indignation for some folks is a baseline

Add worry, and looking down the barrel of ruinous medical bills, and a suit seems like the only thing to do.

You know, sounds like someone sterotyped YOU.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
Best of luck to you. People like your plaintiff should be publicly beaten and thrown to the wolves for showing such disrespect and ill will towards the same people that put themselves in danger trying to save their dumb ***.

OP
OP
C

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Best of luck to you. People like your plaintiff should be publicly beaten and thrown to the wolves for showing such disrespect and ill will towards the same people that put themselves in danger trying to save their dumb ***.

I don't blame the PT. I blame the attorney. The PT was just misinformed. The attorney knew better and only seen dollar signs. I think he figured he could easily get the county to settle w/o making it a big public thing. He didn't realize we wouldn't back down that easy.