IV Tricks

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC+May 16 2005, 08:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 16 2005, 08:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 15 2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm just dumb, but if you bend the cath, you bend the needle, right?  then how do you not get catheter shear when you retract the needle?  Am I not seeing something?
It is doubtful that the material used to make the catheter has changed much in a few years...I have never ever had a problem with this technique and shearing a catheter...it simply did not place that much stress on the catheter material to cause it to shear. I am not saying to put an acute angle in there...make it look like a hockey stick mebbe 120 degrees or so. I would imagine that trying an acute angle (boomerang anyone?) may cause catheter shear...but if you do it right...there should not be any problem...

And no, Cap... AEMT III's are not dumb...a little slow mebbe but certainly not dumb.[/b]

I would think you only have to worry about shear if it is put back on, otherwise it wouldn't matter if you only took the cath. off once in the vein.

<!--QuoteBegin-ECC
@May 16 2005, 08:34 PM
Disclaimer: This is a Ghettomedic procedure...not to be tried to alleviate your boredom but to get the line on a junkie who is in arrest and there aint no other way you are gonna get the meds in! ;) [/quote]

Ok.... where can I get that cert? - Maybe with it I can work for Philly's Medic 8 - they are in the "badlands" and have shirts that label their firehouse (Eng, B/C, Ladder, Medic) "the Narcan Task Force" (Hack on the PD's Narcotic Task Force)

Jon

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 16 2005, 08:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 16 2005, 08:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ECC@May 16 2005, 08:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@May 15 2005, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm just dumb, but if you bend the cath, you bend the needle, right?  then how do you not get catheter shear when you retract the needle?  Am I not seeing something?

It is doubtful that the material used to make the catheter has changed much in a few years...I have never ever had a problem with this technique and shearing a catheter...it simply did not place that much stress on the catheter material to cause it to shear. I am not saying to put an acute angle in there...make it look like a hockey stick mebbe 120 degrees or so. I would imagine that trying an acute angle (boomerang anyone?) may cause catheter shear...but if you do it right...there should not be any problem...

And no, Cap... AEMT III's are not dumb...a little slow mebbe but certainly not dumb.

Disclaimer: This is a Ghettomedic procedure...not to be tried to alleviate your boredom but to get the line on a junkie who is in arrest and there aint no other way you are gonna get the meds in! ;)
I would think you only have to worry about shear if it is put back on, otherwise it wouldn't matter if you only took the cath. off once in the vein. [/b][/quote]
EXACTLY!

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 16 2005, 08:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 16 2005, 08:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ECC@May 16 2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 15 2005, 10:08 PM

And no, Cap... AEMT III's are not dumb...a little slow mebbe but certainly not dumb.

I would think you only have to worry about shear if it is put back on, otherwise it wouldn't matter if you only took the cath. off once in the vein.

<!--QuoteBegin-ECC
@May 16 2005, 08:34 PM
Disclaimer: This is a Ghettomedic procedure...not to be tried to alleviate your boredom  but to get the line on a junkie who is in arrest and there aint no other way you are gonna get the meds in!  ;)

Ok.... where can I get that cert? - Maybe with it I can work for Philly's Medic 8 - they are in the "badlands" and have shirts that label their firehouse (Eng, B/C, Ladder, Medic) "the Narcan Task Force" (Hack on the PD's Narcotic Task Force)

Jon [/b][/quote]
If you work the ghetto, the Ghettomedic cert will be conferred upon you by your much senior partner! ;)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
EMTAl rides the ghetto sled... ;) I've seen pictures of the corner he posts on... not pretty.

ECC

Forum Captain
No more ghetto sleds for me...I am done with that! No need to be running 13+ ALS calls every 8 hours. I am not as young as I look ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 01:39 PM
EMTAl rides the ghetto sled... ;) I've seen pictures of the corner he posts on... not pretty.
I'm sorry... I just LOVE his signature.... espicially since everyone and their brother likes to "talk FDNY" here... the County Field Svcs. department put a memo out about 2 years ago that anyone calling for a "bus" would be asked how many passengers they needed it for..... copy direct, k?

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 01:39 PM
Just another day in good ol' day in Queens.... :D

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by emtal233+May 18 2005, 01:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (emtal233 @ May 18 2005, 01:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@May 17 2005, 01:39 PM
Just another day in good ol' day in Queens.... :D [/b][/quote]
When did Queens get a Ghetto? ;)

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ECC+May 18 2005, 01:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ECC @ May 18 2005, 01:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by emtal233@May 18 2005, 01:16 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt
@May 17 2005, 01:39 PM
EMTAl rides the ghetto sled...  ;)  I've seen pictures of the corner he posts on... not pretty.

Just another day in good ol' day in Queens.... :D
When did Queens get a Ghetto? ;) [/b][/quote]
:lol: LOL :lol:

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
If distal peripheral access fails or is not feasible, go EJ. Our system also has protocols for femoral and subclavian as a last resort.......................

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
i like to draw palpable viens with a betadine stick...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Flight-LP@Jul 2 2005, 10:09 PM
If distal peripheral access fails or is not feasible, go EJ. Our system also has protocols for femoral and subclavian as a last resort.......................
That's cool... Ive ridden along with a resident, who carries a 10-blade and a HUGE 14ga long for subclavians....

rescuecpt

When all else fails... stick by anatomy, easiest place is between the knuckles. :)

911 DJ

Forum Ride Along
Wanna play sewing machine?.... :eek: