IV Certification for Colorado EMTs

LeAnn M

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone taken an IV course in Colorado? If so, who did you go through?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
A while ago I took one at Colorado College. Also in Colorado Springs are Pikes Peak Community College and Memorial Hospital EMS.

I am sure there are dozens in CO.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Seems like there is a state curriculum...

Only 21.5 hours!?
There is indeed a state curriculum which is being "updated." Also that hour guide is a recommendation only.

It will also prevent us from ever getting AEMT as the base scope as a significant majority of CO EMTs have IV endorsements and the functional differences between the two are pretty negligible. In January, the only difference will be benadryl and glucagon. Draw up epi and IO access will go into the state rules and no longer require a waiver.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
There is indeed a state curriculum which is being "updated." Also that hour guide is a recommendation only.

It will also prevent us from ever getting AEMT as the base scope as a significant majority of CO EMTs have IV endorsements and the functional differences between the two are pretty negligible. In January, the only difference will be benadryl and glucagon. Draw up epi and IO access will go into the state rules and no longer require a waiver.
Craziness...

May as well just not have an AEMT level, at this point. (I mean, really, EMT should be AEMT, but, you know, different topic.)

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
If you're in the Denver area, Denver Health, Red Rocks Community College, Community College of Aurora, Centura, and HealthONE all offer courses.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Craziness...

May as well just not have an AEMT level, at this point. (I mean, really, EMT should be AEMT, but, you know, different topic.)
Who needs education.

Summit

Critical Crazy
The program I've seen is about 24 hours of classroom (which includes practicing on IV arms and fellow students) then you go get 10 sticks in an ER.