Is there room for a 19 year old in the EMT world?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Good post JP

I think I have read that thread before

I basically post that and link to that thread in every "EMT and premed" thread that pops up. It's something that premeds need to understand, especially since premed advisers aren't necessarily known for their knowledge of the system. Similarly, EMS providers understandably aren't necessarily the most knowledgeable about the admissions game and it helps temper the "Go for it, it can only help" mentality that often pops up.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'll be in a similar situation soon. But my dilema is that I am pretty sure I am more interested in EMS than becoming a physician (not because of school, because of the nature of the job) and if there wasn't such a money difference, I would not even think about med school. There are a few problems though. My parents, who are far from rich, already pay 10grand a year for me to be in one of the best high schools in the state. If I went and took EMT-Basic and Paramedic courses right out of high school, I would be the first graduate from my school not to go on to a formal college course in many years. So I have been wondering a lot.

I thought about going to the general four year college course (whatever thats called), then certifying, then working in EMS for like a year then med school. But there are some problems with that too. For one, this is what my cousin did. He is now in his mid thirties and just starting med school. I'm not sure if that's for me. Also, I am pretty confident that I wouldn't be able to do EMS for just a year, and would wind up staying for a while.

I then thought about getting EMT-B certified in my senior year-summer of senior year (which is what will most likely happen regardless) and taking my medic class in college (ehich I hear is overwhelming)but then when would I go into med school? I run into the same problem here. I guess I could work EMS and go through med school at the same time but that sounds like a task for a superhuman, and I'm not a total genius anyway, it takes a lot of studying for me to do good on any test.

So I guess I run into deciding if I want to do what I want and make less money, or do something that I can tolerate so I can have a lot of money. Or if I want to end up not letting my life kick off until I'm thirty. But I know for sure that I want to at least get to paramedic certification some day.

And then I realized I didn't want to think about any of this for a few more years.

Because advice from random internet strangers is always totally worth reading:

Have you had a chance to shadow any EM doctors? Might be worth trying if you haven't already, if you know you like EMS and haven't ruled out becoming a physician.

I'd recommend getting the basic cert, if you can without risking your college plans. If you go to a college with a squad of its own or a nearby fire department that will take you as a volunteer, it can be a very rewarding experience. I've also known college students who worked as basics for private companies during college. Depending on the company and your life, that might also be an option.

I'd also recommend going for the BS, if it's within your means. Outside of EMS, you really can't go anywhere in life without it, at least easily. Take all the chem and bio and other premed stuff. Then, when you're done, you have a lot more options than you would as a medic with four years of experience. Even in EMS, I think. Instead of becoming a medic, you could go on to an ABSN and become something like a flight nurse, which lets you do more awesome stuff in EMS. Taking the RN route gives you the option of going on to things like NP, too. Or you could go on to medschool, if that's what you want. In the meantime, you'll have had a few more years to figure everything out.

You probably won't succeed by then... most of us don't, or do only to realize we're totally wrong a few years later... but you'll find yourself in a much better position.

JP: Thanks for continually posting that. It's some really good advice.

EricCSU

Forum Ride Along
I was pre-med and became an EMT for clinical experience. Then after becoming a volunteer firefighter/EMT I decided to become a paramedic rather than a doctor. I still graduated however. I still maintained a high gpa as well. There were several activities at school that I was unable to participate in because of my course load and desire for a high gpa (and the medical schools which require it).

School came first every time. If you can get great grades and be an EMT, more power to you. If you can't, pick which one you want to do. Remember, you have the rest of your life to work. Being a young, unattached college student is usually a once in a lifetime experience.

Eric

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I was just up at BU for Frozen Fenway. Awesome place, cold as all getout.

GO TERRIERS!!