Is there anything else I can do?

JoeBlack

Forum Ride Along
I work for a transport company in Florida at the moment. Never planned on staying long but this is ridiculous.

They have a medic who can’t read a rhythm. He’s almost dropped two patients in one shift. A previous service he worked at never actually allowed him to practice as a medic, only an EMT. He’s afraid of critical transports which is our whole thing. He’s going to kill someone. None of the other EMTs will work with him. They won’t fire him because he’s a patch and a pulse. No matter how little he actually does, how bad he is at charting, or how much he pisses everyone (including management) off.

Is there any recourse for some sort of audit in Florida if this guy is so skill deficient he’s going to kill a patient? The company clearly doesn’t care.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If your agency hasn’t looked into patients being dropped, the state or licensing body will definitely want to.

OP
OP
JoeBlack

JoeBlack

Forum Ride Along
If your agency hasn’t looked into patients being dropped, the state or licensing body will definitely want to.
Well like I said. I don’t know that he’s actually dropped anyone yet. I know there have been near misses. Seen them myself. If it hasn’t happened yet it’s a matter of time.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP, everything you say may be true, but I think the next step for you, if you want to work toward a solution, would require something more than repeating unsupported accusations to strangers on an anonymous forum.

As an EMT, how do you see addressing the clinical performance of a paramedic? Are you planning to pursue it locally? I see MMiz posted a link for that.

OP
OP
JoeBlack

JoeBlack

Forum Ride Along
Then it’s a TRAINING issue, not a termination issue.
That’s not for me to decide. I don’t really care if he gets terminated or not as long as he fixes himself. I’m not optimistic that it’s possible, but who knows.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
That’s not for me to decide. I don’t really care if he gets terminated or not as long as he fixes himself. I’m not optimistic that it’s possible, but who knows.
It’s a good thing you aren’t the deciding factor. Perhaps you need to step back and self evaluate.

How good are YOU?

OP
OP
JoeBlack

JoeBlack

Forum Ride Along
To the OP, everything you say may be true, but I think the next step for you, if you want to work toward a solution, would require something more than repeating unsupported accusations to strangers on an anonymous forum.

As an EMT, how do you see addressing the clinical performance of a paramedic? Are you planning to pursue it locally? I see MMiz posted a link for that.
Yes he did reply with info. After I initially asked the question. I asked it here because I don’t trust the leadership or even other medics at my company to deal with the situation because it threatens their status quo. Because the internet
It’s a good thing you aren’t the deciding factor. Perhaps you need to step back and self evaluate.

How good are YOU?
I was asking for information regarding an authority to report to, not a bunch of opinions on whether I should or not.

You’re seriously suggesting we should just let people who lack the necessary skills walk around and hand out meds manually defibrillate people? No. Sorry you’re wrong. How many near misses do I need to be part (and be the reason they were near) of and document for it to be objectively his problem? Why are you defending garbage? 🤨

Let’s self assess, I’ve always exceeded my education hours for recertification, I took a refresher course when I didn’t need it, I’ve traveled to take courses in other states and countries. I’ve never done something that lead to a patient being harmed, and if it’s in my scope of practice I can do it with confidence. I even hold a FREC-3 from the UK. So you tell me. Am I the same as the guy who can’t even function?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes he did reply with info. After I initially asked the question. I asked it here because I don’t trust the leadership or even other medics at my company to deal with the situation because it threatens their status quo. Because the internet

I was asking for information regarding an authority to report to, not a bunch of opinions on whether I should or not.

You’re seriously suggesting we should just let people who lack the necessary skills walk around and hand out meds manually defibrillate people? No. Sorry you’re wrong. How many near misses do I need to be part (and be the reason they were near) of and document for it to be objectively his problem? Why are you defending garbage? 🤨

Let’s self assess, I’ve always exceeded my education hours for recertification, I took a refresher course when I didn’t need it, I’ve traveled to take courses in other states and countries. I’ve never done something that lead to a patient being harmed, and if it’s in my scope of practice I can do it with confidence. I even hold a FREC-3 from the UK. So you tell me. Am I the same as the guy who can’t even function?
Yes. Yes you are. You are an EMT. That’s it. You seem to be the only one with this issue. Your company is aware and they are responsible, not you.

You don’t get to dictate the responses you receive.

How “good” are YOUR skills..? US NREMT standards, not foreign.

OP
OP
JoeBlack

JoeBlack

Forum Ride Along
Yes. Yes you are. You are an EMT. That’s it. You seem to be the only one with this issue. Your company is aware and they are responsible, not you.

If you read my previous comment you would’ve seen where I said “nobody else wants to work with him,” and “he’s pissing off everyone including management”. I am by far not the only one with this problem. I’m just the only one willing to do something.

I mentioned my NREMT refresher I took because I wanted to refresh my skills; I mentioned concurrent training because looking at things from a different perspective makes you better. You’re never good enough but this trash medic just doesn’t care to get better.

As for you, can you tell me where we are right now? What year is it? Who’s the president?

OP
OP
JoeBlack

JoeBlack

Forum Ride Along

If you read my previous comment you would’ve seen where I said “nobody else wants to work with him,” and “he’s pissing off everyone including management”. I am by far not the only one with this problem. I’m just the only one willing to do something.

I mentioned my NREMT refresher I took because I wanted to refresh my skills; I mentioned concurrent training because looking at things from a different perspective makes you better. You’re never good enough but this trash medic just doesn’t care to get better.

As for you, can you tell me where we are right now? What year is it?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
You got the advice you asked for and some you didn't. Consider the latter a bonus rather than an inconvenience. Feedback about how your arguments sound could be valuable if you pursue the matter you posted.