Is nremt as hard as people act like it is?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I took and passed the NREMT-P on the first shot back in the summer of 2007, two years after graduating from my EMT-P course. I didn't find it particularly difficult. There were a fair amount of questions pertaining to chemistry, A&P, and such. Having already taken college level A&P and pharm, you should be well prepared for those type of questions. If you just took an in-program watered down, two week "A&P for EMS," or a one week "Pharm for EMS," then you probably won't do so well. Matter of fact, every single person I've spoken to that took both a human biology/A&P course and pharmacology passed the NR-P or NR-I on the first shot. Every single person I've spoken to that failed the registry lacked these college classes, and had instead received the crash course cliff's notes version of these classes.

If you haven't completed these college level courses and end up failing the NR, I recommend taking the above into serious consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

blukaman

Forum Probie
One of my instructors ran into me at my work a few weeks ago and told me that it all depends on how good your instructors were for your EMT course. He said that the ones I had had very high standards compared to a lot of other programs in the state. According to him, the school I went to had among the highest reputation for EMT training in the state... so hopefully he's right and I nail it without a sweat.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
In my humble opinion, I don't think it is hard as long as you had a good program. I think the thing that gets most people is the utilization of computer adaptive testing. The NCLEX that we use in nursing is computer adaptive and it usually has 2 right answers, 1 correct answer. It involves more critical thinking than your standard recognition recall test and relies on understanding of processes rather than memorization of figures and facts to test knowledge. In my opinion, I feel that it is just as important for an instructor of Emergency Medical Technology or Nursing to teach the skill of test-taking as it is for them to teach the actual medicine.

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
If you know the material, its not difficult. If you dont know the material. . .