Is money this tight?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dan, what airbag?

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Relatively irrelevant. I've been on units that had issues in the 100k range and my favorite all time unit was over 300k when they got rid of it.

Don't worry, I have a great appreciation for high mileage vehicles. I was just curious whether or not it would be legal or not to operate here, as I've told that MA forces trucks to be retired at 300,000.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Don't worry, I have a great appreciation for high mileage vehicles. I was just curious whether or not it would be legal or not to operate here, as I've told that MA forces trucks to be retired at 300,000.
I wish ours did. we have some backup critical care trucks with 300,000+ miles on them. many many many/most trucks with greater than 100,000 trucks on them. we do have some new ones with less than 100k (usually less than 5 years old), but many that have been run into the ground and should be retired, but haven't due to budgetary restrictions preventing us from purchasing new trucks.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
The majority of my company's fleet has 100k+, and some have 300k+. They're well taken care of, and I've yet to have a problem.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I loved those old style fords, double tanker with the toggle switch and the two man stretchers.

We had the old diesels, they were sweet, our trucks have a miledge cap, once they hit 250,000 they can only be used as spares per the state.

A I agree if that thing could talk the stories it would tell.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
we have a couple 700 and 800k... "punishment rigs"

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
After reading all this I feel lucky that ours get pulled between 250k and 275k. Only the non-maintenance nightmare trucks are allowed to get close to 300k.

The majority of ours are less than 3 years old. The trucks that are older than that have under 125k miles and are backups.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I loved those old style fords, double tanker with the toggle switch and the two man stretchers.

We had the old diesels, they were sweet, our trucks have a miledge cap, once they hit 250,000 they can only be used as spares per the state.

A I agree if that thing could talk the stories it would tell.

I stand corrected this is a service requirement, not a state mandate

I was just informed.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
my truck today had 473,000 miles on it. and i like it better than the new ford gassers. i love that thing.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Ours are retired or rechassied around 250k. Our previous mechanic did a little study and found that 250 for most trucks was the economical breaking point where maintenance became more expensive than a new truck.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I am going to leave the service name out of this discussion, but at my very first service (a very poorly run ift service.......) I got stuck driving a 1982 Ford Vanbulance (not sure who made it) between Chattanooga and Nashville one day. On the way back to Chattanooga, the A/C quit working, the one headlight kept flicking on and off, the tranny started slipping, and the dashlights went out. This is to add to the fact the steering wheel felt like it was going to fall apart and the muffler didn't "muffle" anything lol. Needless to say, I parked it when I got back to chattanooga and immediately hopped in the good truck for the rest of the shift. A week later, they placed the truck back with us again. arrrrgghhh.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I just rode in a brand spanking new, first day on the road, never carried a patient, didn't even smell like pee rig.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Oh and did I mention it had a rumbler!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn bro that thing is gangsta ancient .... grow an afro and dress in a blue jumpsuit with "PARAMEDIC" written on the back in yellow letters, throw on a few gold chains and carry glass IV bottles ..... funky

small-town-EMT

Forum Ride Along
Damn bro that thing is gangsta ancient .... grow an afro and dress in a blue jumpsuit with "PARAMEDIC" written on the back in yellow letters, throw on a few gold chains and carry glass IV bottles ..... funky

Thats true ems right there! i dont think it gets much better than that! but on a side note my dept is looking at lifeline ambulances for a new squad, does anyone run these or can give me some input?? thanks!:p

Sasha

Forum Chief
I just rode in a brand spanking new, first day on the road, never carried a patient, didn't even smell like pee rig.

You mean ambulances aren't supposed to smell like pee?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow; and our trucks are 12 years old with less than 40,000 miles on them.

and we have a 45 mile one way to closest hospital. course we do less than 100 runs a year, split between 8 trucks