is it possible to postpone starting the academy?

FireRed

Forum Ride Along
hello everyone, I recently just took my physical agility test and was a little concerned because there was mentioning of the process going quite fast and a class starting come September. Normally I would be excited about that but that's too soon for me. I have my own business I run among a few other things and would need more time than two months (provided thats when it actually starts) I'm only going by what I was told when I was there. Is it possible for me to push it back if I needed and be able to join at a later time
(for example next year)

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
hello everyone, I recently just took my physical agility test and was a little concerned because there was mentioning of the process going quite fast and a class starting come September. Normally I would be excited about that but that's too soon for me. I have my own business I run among a few other things and would need more time than two months (provided thats when it actually starts) I'm only going by what I was told when I was there. Is it possible for me to push it back if I needed and be able to join at a later time
(for example next year)

Sure. Maybe. Maybe not. No one can tell you without knowing the specific agency/company, and even then it will be difficult to give a specific answer. Try calling agency/company you tested with? I'd imagine they could provide a better answer...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Why not get your business squared away and then reapply next year? Honestly getting two months notice that you're hired and are starting the academy is one of the longest notices I've heard of

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It is entirely 100% dependent on whice agency/department/company you're talking about. Did you get hired by a small little ambulance company in southern California that simply calls their new hire orientation an "Academy"? A bigger ambulance company like one of the innumerable AMR operations spread all over the country? A County run third service agency somewhere in Texas or Carolina? What a a City run third service like New Orleans or Indianapolis? A city fire departments single role EMS bureau like San Francisco FD or FDNY? Or a bit department dual role Firefighter EMT or Firefighter Paramedic going to Los Angeles City or LA County Fire Department's next upcoming Academy?

Pretty much all of those options will have different answers so you have to give us more detail OP. Just remember this forum is full of people from pretty much every corner of this country, plus a fair number of international posters so we can't just assume you're in X area.