Is it fine to eat in the back of the ambulance

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Off topic but this thread reminds me of a war story of mine.

I was on a day shift and it was late afternoon. We had been running all day long with no break. Finally got a few minutes and went through the Wendy's drive through. Sure enough we get tossed just as they are handing us our food. Chest pain at a factory just a few minutes away. We responded to the call and I walked in with the bag over my shoulder and the LP-10 in my left hand.......and my Baconator in my right hand. I finished the burger as I interviewed the patient.

No one on scene seemed to mind, but a day or two later I was notified that the fire captain on scene was unhappy about my lack of professionalism.

Easy to say for a guy who'd probably been sitting in a recliner in air conditioned quarters all day long.

And yeah, I'll eat pretty much anywhere.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've got one similar. When doing BLS in south King County, we were running our butts off. My partner and I finally got a break to pick up some chicken at Ezells. (if you're not from the Seattle area, Ezells chicken is the bomb… Let me just say, it's amazing. Oprah has it flown to Chicago. It's that good)

Anyway, just as I'm handed my chicken, we get a call for a sick person. My partner and I head over, get the patient loaded and start heading to the hospital. As were driving, the smell of the fried chicken is filling the ambulance. I mean, it was thick.

Suddenly, the patient perked up and started sniffing. "That smells like fried chicken. I sure would like some fried chicken. Can you help me out with some fried chicken?"

Uhh no.

She later complained about the fried chicken (and the lack of my administering any to her) to my supervisor. He laughed and said, "if you gave her a drumstick, you wouldn't be getting written up right now."

Last edited:

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
So, here's a Big Bad Wolf, who just happens to be an EMT, and who's freaked out he'll get sick. Hilarious, isn't it ?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Being that I am merely a lowly student, I eat in the back all the time. Just this past Saturday I had just gotten back in the truck when we got called for an overdose. You think I let him spoil my meal? Hell no. I cracked open my honey mustard and went to town on some delicious Arby's curly fries. Then once we dropped this dummy off, I finished off my chicken sandwhich which was still warm thanks to a 2 mile transport to the ER. Seriously though, I eat in the back on a weekly basis thanks to EMS break rooms and their (sometimes) bountiful plunders. It hasn't killed me yet.

Oh and you are going to get sick. Accept it. Just don't get the bad kind of sick because you were lazy and got some patients funk (Yay for hepatitis?) in your mouth, eyes, open cut or whatever.
20197821.jpg

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The front is just as bad as the back. Probably worse actually considering the back generally gets cleaned more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk