Is EMS Medicine or Public Safety or both

Is EMS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
CPR can be done just as effectively utilizing repeated headbutts to the chest. Plus, it would be three times cooler to watch. I vote for unarmed.

Man talk about a killer headache

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As I explained in my previous threads, there are PSOB benefits for survivors of LODD and some states have taken to defining it as it pertains to their own state. I've already explained Florida and the national stance, now here is Missouri. However, the term Public Safety may still differ for other things within a state such as duty to act.

Missouri Passes Responder Benefits Bill
Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Standing inside a Kansas City fire station, Gov. Jay Nixon today signed a bill to benefit the families of Missouri emergency personnel killed in the line of duty. House Bill 580, which establishes the Line of Duty Compensation Act, allows a claim to be filed with the Division of Workers' Compensation on behalf of a law enforcement officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician, air ambulance pilot or air ambulance registered nurse for a benefit of $25,000.

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/article.jsp?id=9759&siteSection=1

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I might of voted medicine only if the uniform were scrubs as opposed to what is currently worn by a majority of EMS worker which is a public safety type uniform. If our uniform were scrubs with a duty belt to hold our radio in place without causing the pants to fall down. Since our current uniforms make us look like public safety the we are part public safety. If we want to be considered medicine then change the uniform to a medical looking one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I might of voted medicine only if the uniform were scrubs as opposed to what is currently worn by a majority of EMS worker which is a public safety type uniform. If our uniform were scrubs with a duty belt to hold our radio in place without causing the pants to fall down. Since our current uniforms make us look like public safety the we are part public safety. If we want to be considered medicine then change the uniform to a medical looking one.

So if you wore a lab coat you be?... Your going to classify a profession by what they wear? So you do know, that the sanitation department wears reflective vest and uniforms similar to EMS, so we are sanitation too?

How about those in medicine that don't wear scrubs? I suppose their not in medicine... C'mon.

R/r 911

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
It's more about public perception of EMS dress like public safety and the public assumes public safety. Dress in scrubs then the public perceives us to be medical one thing I thing EMS should lose are the breast badges worn by EMS.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
I technically work for the State of New Jersey when I am deployed with the state EMS Task Force. I am assigned to Staging Branch.
I have NO patient contact.
What am I?

paramedicmike

Forum Probie
I technically work for the State of New Jersey...

I think the first part of your sentence describes the problem. No one *works* for the State of New Jersey. They just sit around, collect a paycheck while nothing gets done, the State falls deeper into debt and falls apart around them.

Too bad PA and NY can't just pull the pins on the bridges and just let NJ float off and sink into the Atlantic.

It's interesting, though. I've not seen a single valid argument as to how or why we should be considered public safety. And this conversation has been going on for how many pages now?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I would vote for whatever benefits the profession as a whole. Im not too interested with titles or perception of others.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I've not seen a single valid argument as to how or why we should be considered public safety.

You did not see the posts about PSOB for the provider and the family especially for LODD or workman's comp?

It is because of that inclusion of EMS providers to the Public Safety title that have benefited the families of those kill in the LODD. So, for this purpose, EMS providers are considered "Public Safety".

This is recent but not all the other mandates/regulations for someone working under a Public Safety title applies to everyone in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So... when it comes to pandemics, or other viral outbreaks such as bio terrorism, are we still JUST medicine, no matter the preventative measures we do?

You CAN be both safety and medicine. If you keep the public safe in one form or another, guess what? You're public safety.

It's not a degradation to be considered public safety. I can't think of a single person who would look down on someone considered a "public safety" worker, and anyone that actually does is not someone who I care about their opinion.

paramedicmike

Forum Probie
So... when it comes to pandemics, or other viral outbreaks such as bio terrorism, are we still JUST medicine, no matter the preventative measures we do?

Yes. We are still just medicine. We are responding after the fact to provide emergency interventional health care. We are not affecting safety.

You CAN be both safety and medicine. If you keep the public safe in one form or another, guess what? You're public safety.

From what are we keeping the public safe?

Vent: I missed that post. But I'm inclined to think that the inclusion of EMS in LODD benefits is more a political maneuver.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
We have worked through city and state government to be included as public safety, for the benefits associated with it. The fact that I can go to a call for a building collapse, crawl through a pile of rubble to care for a patient, a firefighter slips and breaks his leg, a cop cuts his head and go out on 100% pay, and up to a few years ago, I could expect 60% pay. Also, if I get killed in said action, the cop and firefighter's family would recieve compensation for their LODD, and I, as an EMS paramedic, killed in the same event, would recieve less. I don't care what they call us at the end of the day, but if I am to respond to, and perhaps die at the same incident as the other two, the least I should be able to expect is equal compensation for my family. At least that is how I see it.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

It's not a degradation to be considered public safety. I can't think of a single person who would look down on someone considered a "public safety" worker, and anyone that actually does is not someone who I care about their opinion.

Actually that would not be Public Safety, rather Public Health. Two totally different professions.

I am definitely not demeaning Public Safety by far, quite the opposite. EMT are not trained adequately or receive any training per safety, within their studies. Might as well call them rocket scientist too.....

R/r 911

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
From what are we keeping the public safe?

Injuries? Illness? It doesn't have to be a human opponent.

I am definitely not demeaning Public Safety by far, quite the opposite. EMT are not trained adequately or receive any training per safety, within their studies. Might as well call them rocket scientist too.....R/r 911

Oh, so this whole argument you're throwing out that we are medicine and not public safety, is to make sure public safety is not smeared by EMT's and their lack of edumakation?

paramedicmike

Forum Probie
Injuries? Illness? It doesn't have to be a human opponent.

Then wouldn't we be engaging in preventative medicine? Sounds like health care to me.

Oh, so this whole argument you're throwing out that we are medicine and not public safety, is to make sure public safety is not smeared by EMT's and their lack of edumakation?

I hope you're being sarcastic. It's hard to tell in this type media.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Then wouldn't we be engaging in preventative medicine? Sounds like health care to me.

Which is why it can be both.

Police officers are law and public safety.

Firefighters are fire and public safety.

Why can EMS not be medicine and public safety? Some agencies DO do public safety functions. Just because yours doesn't, doesn't instantly mean yours is the model we should base EMS off of.

I hope you're being sarcastic. It's hard to tell in this type media.
Couldn't tell by my spelling of education? :p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Again, I ask what formal training do you have in safety? What codes or laws are enforced by EMS?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Again, I ask what formal training do you have in safety? What codes or laws are enforced by EMS?

Safety =/= law.

And again I ask you, what does it matter if we get considered part of public safety?

Are you offended as such? Can you not still practice medicine while people think you are part of public safety?

What would you consider the CDC and the WHO? They are medicine, which also has a place in public safety, yet neither makes / enforces laws.

What about SAR teams? They make or enforce no laws, provide medicinal services, and are still considered part of public safety.

paramedicmike

Forum Probie
Ok. Let's try this.

What public safety functions do you see EMS providers routinely performing? What formal training have they had in order to engage in these public safety measures? From what, exactly, are they protecting the public?

And in a very real sense, safety does, in fact, equal law. Public safety as enforced by the FD includes inspections and code enforcement. Those codes are laws.

BTW, Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization are both medical organizations. They work in the field of health care. Disease control and world health, I think, are the give aways.