Is CA EMT-P training effective?

bcemr

Forum Crew Member
All states seem to train differently and everywhere has different rules and standards. Is CA a goo state to train in to be sufficiently (preferably exceedingly) trained to pass all aspects of nremt?

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
NREMT IS the standard. Then all other states do their own thing with different protocols and such.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
NREMT IS the standard. Then all other states do their own thing with different protocols and such.

Actually, US DOT is the standard curriculum. CAAHEP/CoAMPSP is the national accrediting body that the NR now uses to ensure consistency in quality and curriculum. CA just has absolutely screwed up SOP and protocols for paramedics. Wherever you go to school, you'll get the same basic education, theoretically transferable anywhere.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
All states seem to train differently and everywhere has different rules and standards. Is CA a goo state to train in to be sufficiently (preferably exceedingly) trained to pass all aspects of nremt?

I thought you were going to take it in PA.

Are you planning on working in the USA or Canada? If Canada why not take a Canadian program?

OP
OP
bcemr

bcemr

Forum Crew Member
I was going to go to PA but it appears CA has the same standard of training. I am looking for NREMT-P not state.

terrible one

Always wandering
I think I'd recommend everywhere except CA. Go to PA, you learn a lot more than how to follow cook-book style paramedicine performed in the majority of CA.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
With ANY program, you get out of it what you put it. I went to a program in CA with an over 95% first time national registry paramedic pass rate and did not learn cookbook medicine. CA is like any other state. Some programs are better than others. Some students are better than others. It is impossible to declare an entire state a good or bad place to go to school.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Also all CA paramedic programs are required to be nationally accredited. As with so many other things, California has a pretty good system... except when it comes to treatment protocols and scope of practice.

With ANY program, you get out of it what you put it. I went to a program in CA with an over 95% first time national registry paramedic pass rate and did not learn cookbook medicine. CA is like any other state. Some programs are better than others. Some students are better than others. It is impossible to declare an entire state a good or bad place to go to school.

What paramedic program did you go through?

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Went to a very good program in SoCal where many graduated as very good paramedics, some who I wouldn't want responding on my family. Everybody is different and as stated, you get what you put in to it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Also all CA paramedic programs are required to be nationally accredited. As with so many other things, California has a pretty good system... except when it comes to treatment protocols and scope of practice.

And nationally accredited proves nothing except they had the material and money to get accredited as many shady programs are accredited.

I went through Bakersfield College

That's good to know, I plan on applying to Hall as one of the many EMS companies I am going to apply to upon completion of my bachelors degree.