Iphone Medical ID - Do you guys use it?

aspiringemt

Forum Ride Along
Posting both out of curiosity from the point of view of a certified EMT (hoping to work someday) and someone who needs a medical ID. If you hit the emergency button on a locked Iphone, it'll lead you to another screen with the option of clicking "medical ID" if it's filled out. I'm not sure how many laypeople know about it nor EMTs/medics. So what do you think - phones, wallets, or bracelets?

You can get a lot of info out of these electronic medical IDs and they're super easy to access, just not very mainstream. Just putting it out there.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nope. It's very rare that I come across a totally unconscious person. Usually they can answer some questions or, if they totally out, I'm too busy trying to manage what's currently killing them to start flipping through their phone. I'm sure it would be handy for the hospital though.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Nope. It's very rare that I come across a totally unconscious person. Usually they can answer some questions or, if they totally out, I'm too busy trying to manage what's currently killing them to start flipping through their phone. I'm sure it would be handy for the hospital though.
This. If the patient is not able to provide me with information then I am probably going to be a little to busy to get on their phone. I'll leave it for the hospital when there are plenty of providers on scene to treat the patient and go thru the phone.

I've accessed a patients phone on 2 different occasions. I was for an underaged girl who was ALOC due to drugs. Called dad and let him know that we were taking her to the hospital.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I have used it twice. Both times it was on geriatric patients who were not great historians, on non-acute calls. Having the known drug allergies, medication list, and medical history available on the phone was convenient.