Iowa State university paramedic program

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Hello everyone, I just have a quick question. One of my buddies came up to me and asked what I thought of ISUs paramedic program, I really didn't know what to tell him. I know a few people that have gone through their medic program and have been picked up quite quickly by FDs and such. I told him how they run it with 15 weeks, 8-5 didactic then move into clinicals and ride times. That's really all I know.

I was wondering if anyone here has gone through their schooling and what your thoughts were on this? I asked one of my buddies that graduated from their if I could pass his number along, just waiting to hear back from him and figured I would poke your brains about it. I couldn't find anything with the search feature. Anyways, thanks in advance!

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Awesome program.

Fantastic hospital where you receive your training (only level 1 for hundreds of miles), fantastic instructors (many specialty instructors come in and give lectures), you get to ride in a heli. Very high first time pass rates of the NREMT (ask them- they know all their numbers).

I recommend it to anybody and everybody.

(The UIHC's program) No idea about ISU- didn't think they had one.

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
It is awesome compared to what?

It is only 1,160-hours which includes 260 hours of hospital clinical time and of 360 hours of field time.

The only entrance requirements up to now has been a high school diploma and EMT cert.

They are just now requiring an Anatomy and Physiology class which may be done entirely online with no lab and can be a pass/fail type. Previously it was only recommended but not required.

The guy on the website as the model for the program is clearly over weight.

Essentially this is the same style and price tag (almost $10,000) of the 8 month program that UCLA has.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

I'm sorry what does this have to do with the quality of any program? Think carefully before answering please.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
I'm sorry what does this have to do with the quality of any program? Think carefully before answering please.

Physical fitness should be emphasized for the job and should include having a decent body weight proportionate to height. Promoting obesity or lax standards should also be thought through carefully.

OP
OP
R

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Physical fitness should be emphasized for the job and should include having a decent body weight proportionate to height. Promoting obesity or lax standards should also be thought through carefully.

And what if this gentlemen was able to pass the cpat and perform duties just fine? Passing judgment based on a picture is retarded.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Becuase fat people are slow and would be the first to die during a Zombie apocalypse. Therefore the quality of the program is obviously horrible.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
Becuase fat people are slow and would be the first to die during a Zombie apocalypse. Therefore the quality of the program is obviously horrible.

I wouldn't exactly use the Zombie thing as an example. Many of the LODDs among EMS personnel are from heart attacks and strokes. Looking at their photos, some are what might be considered to be even morbidly obese. There is a direct correlation between obesity and cardiovascular diseases. Couple that with stress and a physically demanding job, you have a higher risk. When a young person is obese going into the profession, the chances of them changing their lifestyle are even less once they feel they are secure in employment. Instead of promoting that as the image just to make those who are overweight feel better, it is time to promote the physicial fitness requirement which is about as overlooked as the education.

bigbaldguy

I wouldn't exactly use the Zombie thing as an example. Many of the LODDs among EMS personnel are from heart attacks and strokes. Looking at their photos, some are what might be considered to be even morbidly obese. There is a direct correlation between obesity and cardiovascular diseases. Couple that with stress and a physically demanding job, you have a higher risk. When a young person is obese going into the profession, the chances of them changing their lifestyle are even less once they feel they are secure in employment. Instead of promoting that as the image just to make those who are overweight feel better, it is time to promote the physicial fitness requirement which is about as overlooked as the education.

Very pretty answer and completely irrelevant to the question I asked.
My question was how does having an overweight instructor affect the quality of the program? Does being overweight affect the information he is imparting to his students? Should they fire an excellent instructor who is obese and replace him with a skinny one? Perhaps they should use models for their ads so that the wrong sort of body types don't "get ideas" about going into a profession as physically demanding as pushing a stretcher?

You looked at a picture of an instructor and based your opinion of the entire program at least partially on his physical appearance.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

There are plenty of fat firefighters and fat police officers. I agree we need to promote physical fitness but judging a program by a picture on their website is ridiculous. I don't know your definition of morbidly obese but if I'm looking at the same picture that definitely isn't it.

Some people naturally have a higher BMI and are in just as good if not better shape than skinny :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s like me.

Hate to break it to you but you aren't always right. In fact some of the stuff that you post is downright ridiculous.

The hours of this program are more than what is required by the DOT and more than some schools provide. Everyone agrees that the program should be longer in general but until that happens you have to take what you can get. Multiple people have said it's a good program yet because "they have a fat person on their website! OMG" you say it's not without bringing anything relevant to the table.

I didn't go through their program so I wont comment on if it's good or bad.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
Very pretty answer and completely irrelevant to the question I asked.
My question was how does having an overweight instructor affect the quality of the program? Does being overweight affect the information he is imparting to his students? Should they fire an excellent instructor who is obese and replace him with a skinny one? Perhaps they should use models for their ads so that the wrong sort of body types don't "get ideas" about going into a profession as physically demanding as pushing a stretcher?

You looked at a picture of an instructor and based your opinion of the entire program at least partially on his physical appearance.

You are totally focused on just the over weight remark. That was only one comment out of 5 statements I made about this program.

Nobody said anything about firing the guy either.

It is only 1,160-hours which includes 260 hours of hospital clinical time and of 360 hours of field time.

The only entrance requirements up to now has been a high school diploma and EMT cert.

They are just now requiring an Anatomy and Physiology class which may be done entirely online with no lab and can be a pass/fail type. Previously it was only recommended but not required.

Essentially this is the same style and price tag (almost $10,000) of the 8 month program that UCLA has.

Being an EMT or Paramedic is a little more than just pushing the stretcher. You may have to climb stairs, carry a stretcher over a sandy beach or up a steep area. Not all surfaces are flat.

The hours alone are stressful on the body. The 24 hour shifts will remain as the standard just because that is the way it has been done.

Why should EMS use someone who is over weight to be the image they want to be known for? No one can tell he is the best instructor they have by just the picture. I know there are laws out there protecting the obese from discrimination but sometimes there has to be a line drawn to where a certain level of fitness and a weight requirement to be maintained. A few pounds overweight is one thing but when you start getting labeled as obese by the scales used by medical professionals, it might be time to start thinking about your health and if you will be a help or a hindrance to your partner and the patient. I can not promote obesity if it is not right for certain professions.

Now try to get past the over weight comments and evaluate the rest of the program. It seems you are very sensitive about this subject even though you were not singled out as being overweight.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
There are plenty of fat firefighters and fat police officers. I agree we need to promote physical fitness but judging a program by a picture on their website is ridiculous. I don't know your definition of morbidly obese but if I'm looking at the same picture that definitely isn't it.

Some people naturally have a higher BMI and are in just as good if not better shape than skinny :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s like me.

Hate to break it to you but you aren't always right. In fact some of the stuff that you post is downright ridiculous.

The hours of this program are more than what is required by the DOT and more than some schools provide. Everyone agrees that the program should be longer in general but until that happens you have to take what you can get. Multiple people have said it's a good program yet because "they have a fat person on their website! OMG" you say it's not without bringing anything relevant to the table.

I didn't go through their program so I wont comment on if it's good or bad.

There is a medical definition for obese and I am pretty sure the guy in the picture would fit that.

Does this mean we have to promote obesity as being right in EMS, Fire or Police? Should all fitness standards just be ignored because they are too hard to achieve? Should all EMS programs be rated as outstanding because the meet the minimum? Those are some sad summations about where EMS is going when we choose to ignor the rationale for our own health and the advancement of EMS. But then fighting for the lowest standard and seeing it is a protected right to do just the minimum seems to be the way to go.

My original post was directed at Maine who said the program was "awesome". I wanted to know what made a program awesome that just met the minimal standards and carried a hefty price tag. I was hoping for something more than a helicopter ride. 1000 hours are not that many and it is too bad that some have accepted this as being the standard for the outstanding programs.

bigbaldguy

You are totally focused on just the over weight remark. That was only one comment out of 5 statements I made about this program.

Nobody said anything about firing the guy either.

Being an EMT or Paramedic is a little more than just pushing the stretcher. You may have to climb stairs, carry a stretcher over a sandy beach or up a steep area. Not all surfaces are flat.

The hours alone are stressful on the body. The 24 hour shifts will remain as the standard just because that is the way it has been done.

Why should EMS use someone who is over weight to be the image they want to be known for? No one can tell he is the best instructor they have by just the picture. I know there are laws out there protecting the obese from discrimination but sometimes there has to be a line drawn to where a certain level of fitness and a weight requirement to be maintained. A few pounds overweight is one thing but when you start getting labeled as obese by the scales used by medical professionals, it might be time to start thinking about your health and if you will be a help or a hindrance to your partner and the patient. I can not promote obesity if it is not right for certain professions.

Now try to get past the over weight comments and evaluate the rest of the program. It seems you are very sensitive about this subject even though you were not singled out as being overweight.

I am very sensitive to poorly thought out comments and assumptions made on faulty logic and personal biases.

Again in what way does an instructor being overweight affect the information he imparts and the quality of the program.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
I am very sensitive to poorly thought out comments and assumptions made on faulty logic and personal biases.

Again in what way does an instructor being overweight affect the information he imparts and the quality of the program.

Again look at the other reasons. The overweight guy was just one reason.

You are just too sensitive to discuss this logically especially when you can not get past the over weight part. You would find fault with anything I post now because you seem to have taken this very personally as an attack on you.

Also the guy in the photo appears to be a young student and not an instructor.

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
I don't know what you tried to prove here by your comments since I just wanted to know why a program is considered awesome when its overall description is not much more than other minimum standard programs with a huge tuition attached to them. I also don't know why you took this discussion as a personal attack and even included a picture of yourself to prove some point which is not clear. As a community leader you should have better judgement than to attack members for having an opinion about physical fitness and asking a question about this program's academic standards.

Now, if anyone who supports this program can answer the academic questions as to what makes a program "awesome' and to what they compare it to, that would be greatly appreciated.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Again look at the other reasons. The overweight guy was just one reason.

You are just too sensitive to discuss this logically especially when you can not get past the over weight part. You would find fault with anything I post now because you seem to have taken this very personally as an attack on you.

Also the guy in the photo appears to be a young student and not an instructor.

And you are just too condescending to discuss anything with. You made an irrelevant, judgmental comment and you got called out on it. Suck it up and deal with it.

The fact is the program meets or exceeds the DOT standards. If you don't like the standards, take it up with the DOT. The entrance requirements also are not that far off from industry standards. Again, if you don't like it write a letter to JEMS. Unless you have personal knowledge of the quality of the instruction at the program your opinions are useless to this thread.

OP
OP
R

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
I know exactly of the photo being discussed, why do you assume I was talking of BBG? I was not. I was talking about the picture on their page, and as I said before, you are just passing judgment on him. You are just guessing about his abilities, if he is able to for fill his job duties who cares how big he is? If he is able to do the job, there's nothing to argue about. And I was using a descriptive word of the actions you were presenting, that is not name calling. That would be against the rules and I would never do that. .