Io

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ditto... kinda like I tell my patients when I start IV's; "I've done this all day, and it is as of yet, hurt me!"...

Love the EZ I/O's.. I used FAST, on the helicopter when they first came out. They were okay, but not as good as EZ's. I have started EZ on conscious patients and they rated the pain as about the same as peripheral sticks.

EZ I/O web site even has a video of a physician establishing one on another physician. Not even a flinch...

paramediclori, since you do not use EZ, what do you use on adult I/O's ?

R/r 911

paramediclori

Forum Probie
Hmm,.. I guess I am not sure of the type we use, .... as I didn't realize there were a few different ones, I will have to look into it and find out, or do you have a website that shows the different types, and I could find out that way too?

OP
OP
babygirl2882

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
what does IO stand for?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
what does IO stand for?
Intraosseous infusion- which is an specific needle (bone marrow, spinal needle, I/O needle) that goes into the bone for an I.V. It was used in the early 40's until plastic caths were invented, then became popular again for use in pediatrics in the late 80's and now have returned to adults in the past five-ten years. AHA now recommends adult I/O in lieu of placing medications through the Endotracheal tube. So basically, if one cannot obtain an IV, a I/O is warranted.

Hmm,.. I guess I am not sure of the type we use, .... as I didn't realize there were a few different ones, I will have to look into it and find out, or do you have a website that shows the different types, and I could find out that way too?

Please, don't take offense; but you are a Paramedic but don't know what type of device you use? hmmmm... ?

As well where have you been? I/O placement in adults have been taught and required in ACLS for the past two years and as well been popular topic in EMS discussions for the past 5-7 years.

There is the traditions shank type for adults (upper tibia, like ped.'s), then there is the B-I-G gun for tibia (ped & adult), as well as FAST that is strictly sternal as well, and of course EZ-I/O which is tibia, and upper humerus (which also can be used in pediatric tibia)

http://www.waismed.com/

http://www.pyng.com/

http://www.vidacare.com/

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

paramediclori

Forum Probie
Please, don't take offense; but you are a Paramedic but don't know what type of device you use? hmmmm... ?

As well where have you been? I/O placement in adults have been taught and required in ACLS for the past two years and as well been popular topic in EMS discussions for the past 5-7 years.

There is the traditions shank type for adults (upper tibia, like ped.'s), then there is the B-I-G gun for tibia (ped & adult), as well as FAST that is strictly sternal as well, and of course EZ-I/O which is tibia, and upper humerus (which also can be used in pediatric tibia)

R/r 911

I know how to use and where an IO goes thank you. I was just confused on which "brand" if you will you were talking about. I looked at those links and those are not what we use here, hence my confusion. I have always been around the same brand of IO's, there for that is what I know, I am not sure which kind it is. I can assure you it is an older style. Please remember, I hate it here in Michigan, they are A LOT further behind in technology then most other states. Example, most places around here have just switched to 12 leads this year :( Please don't take that out on me, I am looking to move out of state to learn more and better myself. I will ask at work tomorrow which IO it is that we carry, and get back with you.