Io

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
So I'm not sure if this is a ALS thing but I'm pretty sure it is. IO's do you do them or not? And if you do, do you use the EZ IO?

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
IO's are strictly ALS. Our company has been using the EZ IO for a few months now.

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
Have them and do them regularly. We have the EZ-IO for adult and pediatrics. And if an IO is used, it without question should be being performed by a paramedic.

Shane
NREMT-P

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
our chair van drivers do ez-io's here.

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
We have been utilizing the EZ-IO for a bout two years now. We evaluated all three IO devices and even though the cost for the EZ-IO is a bit more than the other devices there is simply no substitute for contol of the needle. And with the FDA recently adding the humerus as an approved site there is no other device that is as versatile either.

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
I work for AMR SA and we have had the EZ IO for awhile. Our protocalls say we are to use the EZ IO on adults only. The pedi needles still have to be put in manually.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
My company uses the EZ-IO, and have found that the Pedi use is sensitive to dislodging on slight vibration. They're working on an improved stabilizing unit.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
The private service I work with (along with Katgirl); uses EZ IO for adults and manual for peds.
the 911 service I work for uses the 'BIG' IO for both, different strenght for peds of course.

I have used both and like both. haven't decided which is my favorite yet.

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
My fire department has the EZ-IO for peds and adults with the manual as a backup plan. The flight program I work for has the manual needles for when things really go wrong, the sternal as an option, and EZ-IO as the prefered method for both peds and adults.

Having used all three, my opinion is that the EZ-IO is the far superior tool.

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
I work for AMR SA and we have had the EZ IO for awhile. Our protocalls say we are to use the EZ IO on adults only. The pedi needles still have to be put in manually.

Just out of curiosity, why would you not use the EZ-IO for peds. I would think the speed of insertion, and the lack of lateral movement sometimes found with manual insertion would make the drill the first choice for peds.

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
Here in this state pedi IO is an EMT-I skill after 90 seconds of searching for IV sites or 2 failed IV attempts. Intermediates are not allowed to do adult IO.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
the service I work at that uses the EZ hasn't bought the Pedi needles. I am considering buying them for me to use there, if they arent too expensive.

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
the service I work at that uses the EZ hasn't bought the Pedi needles. I am considering buying them for me to use there, if they arent too expensive.

The replacement needles typically run between $90-110.00 ea and typically only come 5 in a box. Some places will sell them individually though. But be careful, taking matters into your own hands without a written protocol can potentially set you up for liability issues. Make sure it's identified in your protocols that you can indeed use the EZ-IO insertion device for placement of the peds IO before you make the purchase.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does anyone here use the BIG (Bone Injection Gun)? As I was stocking the Natan this morning I saw them-- what are the differences v. EZ-IO, other then not needing to check the battery? One of the paramedics told me that MDA did an internal study of BIG v. EZ-IO, and found that the BIG was more precise (not quite sure what that means), as well as cheaper.

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
Never used the BIG on an actual patient.....barbaric. Nothing beats the EZ-IO: ease of insertion, pretty darn precise as long as your hand doesn't slip, and can flow as much as a central line. Check the webpage for links to clinical studies: http://www.vidacare.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone here use the BIG (Bone Injection Gun)? As I was stocking the Natan this morning I saw them-- what are the differences v. EZ-IO, other then not needing to check the battery? One of the paramedics told me that MDA did an internal study of BIG v. EZ-IO, and found that the BIG was more precise (not quite sure what that means), as well as cheaper.

Not sure how they justify the device as being more precise. While the BIG is cheaper than the EZ it doesn't afford you the ability to "feel" the needle enter the Intraosseous space when inserting it. It's simply a matter of placing the device on the patient and pulling the trigger hoping that it went through but not too far. My concern would also be with the velocity of the needle and if it glances off the bone it could potentially splinter it as well. From a pt. transfer standpoint the receiving facility would also need the removal device for the BIG if you choose to go that direction. Just my .02 but while the EZ is a bit more expensive it is more versatile and IMO the more precise device with more FDA approved insertion sites.

paramediclori

Forum Probie
our chair van drivers do ez-io's here.

What the hell? I guess I am not sure what an EZ IO is, but yes, all IO's are to be done by paramedics, and I don't know about all of you guys, but I HATE the feeling of doing an IO.

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
I don't feel a thing when I do them. We use the IO drill so it takes only a second to have an IO placed in an adult or a pedi. We use them from line in cardiac arrest, and we can use them after two or three failed attempts in a critical patient.

Shane
NREMT-P