Interview!

gmartin0814

Forum Probie
Hey everyone! I had a couple questions about an interview I have tomorrow morning. It is for physicians ambulance in cleveland ohio. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas on what kind of questions they may ask. I just want to be prepared and not sit there with a dumb look on my face while im trying to think of answers. also, shirt/tie, blazer jacket/khaki pants sound ok? Thanks!!B)

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
They're usually the same as any other interview, they are looking at your personality and professionalism during the interview. Every company I've worked for has done a separate skills and written test if they were planning on hiring you after the interview.

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
Usually EMT interviews are "BUSINESS PROFESSIONAL."

Good luck!

They're usually the same as any other interview, they are looking at your personality and professionalism during the interview. Every company I've worked for has done a separate skills and written test if they were planning on hiring you after the interview.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
I've only done one formal interview so far (the other one I wouldn't even consider an interview) and they asked me these questions:

Tell us about yourself.

What would you do if one of your coworkers was doing something that directly violated company policy?

Was there a time when you were dealing with a dissatisfied customer and were able to turn their opinion around for the better?

Was there a time when you were able to interfere in a life-threatening emergency or to deter someone from engaging in life-threatening activities?

How would handle a situation in which a nurse kept rudely insisting that you were not handling a patient correctly, but you believed that you were acting appropriately?

Do you have any questions about the company (DON'T SAY NO!!! Prepare questions beforehand and do some research on the company so you seem more informed and that much more eager than the average applicant.)

Is there anything you would like to add? (again, DON'T SAY NO!)

--All I can think of for now. Best of luck! :D

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
...the questions I was asked...

I just had my interview yesterday. They asked me:

* Tell me about yourself

* What would you do if you didn't like one of your co-workers?

* What would you do if you didn't like a policy or a rule?

* What do you know about (agency)?

* Do you have any questions for us?

I was really surprised that I didn't even get asked if there was anything I'd like to add...like make a closing...but when I asked the two people who interviewed me if I may, they were like "By all means."

They took me early since I arrived early, was in the interview for 30 minutes, and then left. I shook both of their hands & stating their name individually, and thanked them for the privilege to come interview.

I'll find out soon *crosses fingers* by the postal mail.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I just had my interview yesterday. They asked me:

* Tell me about yourself

* What would you do if you didn't like one of your co-workers?

* What would you do if you didn't like a policy or a rule?

* What do you know about (agency)?

* Do you have any questions for us?

I was really surprised that I didn't even get asked if there was anything I'd like to add...like make a closing...but when I asked the two people who interviewed me if I may, they were like "By all means."

They took me early since I arrived early, was in the interview for 30 minutes, and then left. I shook both of their hands & stating their name individually, and thanked them for the privilege to come interview.

I'll find out soon *crosses fingers* by the postal mail.

You may want to send them a professional looking thank-you note. It can go a long way, and shows that you really care.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Woo-hoo! I just got a call back from the place where I applied and I got the job! :D

I sent a thank-you note (although I got one of the guys names wrong, very embarrassing). I agree about that, probably only about 10% of applicants would go so far as to send the thank you note, so it does set you apart from the others.

Hope you get the job too!

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
That's fantastic, Maya! Congrats!

I'm curious..if I had two people on the panel...do I address it to one, or both, or to H.R. that's in a different county??

Woo-hoo! I just got a call back from the place where I applied and I got the job! :D

I sent a thank-you note (although I got one of the guys names wrong, very embarrassing). I agree about that, probably only about 10% of applicants would go so far as to send the thank you note, so it does set you apart from the others.

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
I would address it to both, but not if you don't remember the names and guess like I did (doh!).. I think that adds a more personal touch, plus they're the ones who interviewed you, so they're likely to remember who you are. Try to send it to the address you went to for the interview.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Congrats! Where at, and what's the job description?

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
It's at Royal Ambulance in San Leandro (Alameda County). I just heard back from AMR too, but I don't know if I want to wait for them cause I'm not sure how long the hiring process'll actually take and I don't want to lose this job in the meantime. Well, still excited :D

This is what they say on the website:
"More than half of our calls are BLS emergencies, not just prescheduled doctor's appointments like you get with other medical transport providers."

Also, they said they'd give me full-time hours and they don't mind paying overtime, so I'm pretty happy!

gmartin and highvelocity, let us know how the interviews went!

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
I definitely will keep everyone posted.

I actually just sent 1 card to both people. I put it to their ATTENTION. I put both of their names in the card.

I wrote "Thank you for the opportunity to partcipate in the interviewing process for the position of EMT. I am very excited at the possibility of working at your agency. Look forward to hearing from you. Regards, _____"

It's not going to get there til this weekend since my card didn't make the mail out time yesterday....urgh...but everyone is tellin me I will be fine.

I'm going to be stuck going to the mailbox everyday 'til who knows when!

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
If you're just waiting to hear back and not doing anything else in the meantime, you may want to find out which ICS certs your county requires and start working on them. You probably don't need them right away upon getting hired, but might as well get them out of the way. Usually ICS-100, 200, and 700. They're 3-4 hours each and you do them online at www.training.fema.gov (there are other post on here about NIMS/ ICS)

It sounds like you liked the place where you interviewed. If you're really that keen, I think you have a good shot at the job, because that positive attitude will only reflect well on you :)

highvelocity84

Forum Crew Member
I just got a conditional offer with Medic Ambulance for a full time EMT position. Yay!!!! Thought I'd let you know, Maya. :)

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
Congratulations! That's great news! Especially in California, in this economic climate, it's no small feat to find a job when most places aren't hiring. :)