Interesting little conversation I had at work today...

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
So as some of you know, I have moved back to Jersey to gain employment as a Paramedic. While I am waiting to take my NREMT-P exam to start, I have been working as an EMT for a company that does transport, prehospital backup, special ops, event services, and other misc. EMS activities. Some of the people they hired are, well, charachters.

While working a Triathalon today (talk about some hotties there! :p ), we got into a discussion about education for EMS, the NJ First Grade Council, and EMTs.

Many of them stated that EMT was just a job for them, and if up to them and their "squad" that they would never move to EMT, and several "squads" have slogans on their doors, such as "We do it our way", referencing that there are no EMTs on them. At all.

Since NJ First Grade "Squads" are not regulated by the state, they can get away with this kind of shenanigans.

I though I had NJ EMS pegged already, but this fact today has blown me away. :wacko:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Another reason to avoid that state. Shame Reader's Digest or another cannot perform an article describing the poor systems in EMS.

R/r 911

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Since NJ First Grade "Squads" are not regulated by the state, they can get away with this kind of shenanigans.
What are these squads? Are they allowed to transport or only to treat on scene? Are they staffed with CFRs?

OP
OP
BLSBoy

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Oh they transport. NO EMTs.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Oh they transport. NO EMTs.

And they're probably billing at an ALS rate...
comando.gif

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
BLSBoy (Or is it ALSBoy now? :p). I was under the impression that the First Aid Council rules called for an EMT on the ambulance, but no need for more than 1... unlike a paid ambulance, which needs 2 EMT's. That said, I'm not shocked.

BLS - as for where you were working. I worked a Woman's triathalon last year. Sounds cool, right? WRONG. EVERYONE was in Spandex. Some people shouldn't be allowed to wear Spandex. Ever. Arrest them for "risking a catastrophe" or something!

Jon

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
BLSBoy (Or is it ALSBoy now? :p). I was under the impression that the First Aid Council rules called for an EMT on the ambulance, but no need for more than 1... unlike a paid ambulance, which needs 2 EMT's. That said, I'm not shocked.

The NJ State First Aid Council (NJSFAC) predates EMT's and it predates the NJ Dept of Health Office of EMS (OEMS). At the time the OEMS was formed the state and the council agreed to a power sharing agreement. Contrary to popular belief, the vollies are regulated. The state regulates all paid EMS entities and any volly entities that are not in the FAC. The council regulates all other vollies. Over the years the level of regulation by both the state and the council has increased over their respective groups. The council has often had to drag squads kicking and screaming into current practices. The council has yearly inspections of vehicles and audits training records. All EMT's in the state are certified by OEMS so they all follow the same training and recertification standards. In the past EMT's were optional on volly units. The policy was updated quite a few years ago to require at least 1 EMT, preferably more. It is expected that within the next few months that 2 EMT's will be required statewide, paid and volly. The FAC has made many strides but is still influenced by the old "that's not the way we did it in 1965" crowd.

As far as the squads BLSBoy referenced, if they are running without EMT's they are violating council regulations. The only way they can do it is by falsifying records. If they get caught, they get thrown out of the council and then get a call from OEMS saying "you belong to us now, BWAAHAHAAAA!" BTW, I've never heard of a paid service violating regulations, have you?<_<

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MAC4NH... Thanks for the history lesson for those here who don't know how messed up Jersey is.

...BTW, I've never heard of a paid service violating regulations, have you?<_<
Tell me about it. I've worked for more than one company on Jersey's List of Shame. One had different owners and still rolled the dice and tried to pull stuff in Jersey (Transports In and OUT of the state - roundtrip, with no Jersey License). I declined to play those games, and stayed on the ALS rig, so we stayed out of Jersey anyway.

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
The First Aid Council is FINALLY (within the past 5 years or so) trying to improve the professionalism in the volunteer ranks. Some squads are fighting change. Some are embracing it and exceeding the requirements.

Either way, I believe that that the days of volunteer EMS in this state are numbered. Each year a couple of more towns go paid. Eventually the ranks will dwindle to the point that the FAC will lose influence and relevance. Whether that is a good thing or not is a discussion for another thread. Each system of EMS (Private, Hospital, Municipal, Fire, Volunteer) has its plusses and minuses and each can work well IF the providers AND their management work for the good of the patients and the community. Unfortunately, that's a big "IF" as we've seen in this and other threads.