Integrated Flowmeter- JEMS Magazine

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

I wanted to inform you that there will be a product review for the Integrated Flowmeter in February 2009 issue of JEMS Magazine.

Your feedback and comment are appreciated.

intfmequals.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I like modular stuff so I can fix part of it instead of total replacement.

The Bourdon type gauge is better than the pitot floating ball sort though.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
So if this thing breaks, I have to replace it...........

Lets see..........

1. Part replacement = $$
2. Labor to remove piece that is permanantly mounted to truck = $$$
3. Labor to re-install piece that will be permanantly mounted to truck = $$$
4. Finding a qualified technician to do #2 and #3 = Time and $$$
5. Having completed project inspected and verified = Time and $$$

vs.

1. twisting flowmeter off and replacing = 5 seconds and minimal $.

Granted, not everyone has regulations that require a qualified tech and a completion inspection, but those that do are not going to be fond of this idea. I would also believe that any manufacturer who factory installs this device would probably require you to see their techs which they will charge $$$ for. I would also suspect that many not required will avoid it just for the fact that you would have to disconnect this equipment directly off of the main O2 line vs. a preattached quick connect. There are hazards when accessing the main line and having no clue what you are doing, not to mention the likelyhood that you will void your unit's warranty.

Sorry, but i'm not sold on it..............Innovation is great and I certainly welcome it, but sometimes the wheel just doesn't need to be re-invented.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member

Lets see..........

1. Part replacement = $$

vs.

Granted, not everyone has regulations that require a qualified tech and a completion inspection, but those that do are not going to be fond of this idea. I would also believe that any manufacturer who factory installs this device would probably require you to see their techs which they will charge $$$ for. I would also suspect that many not required will avoid it just for the fact that you would have to disconnect this equipment directly off of the main O2 line vs. a preattached quick connect. There are hazards when accessing the main line and having no clue what you are doing, not to mention the likelyhood that you will void your unit's warranty.

Sorry, but i'm not sold on it..............Innovation is great and I certainly welcome it, but sometimes the wheel just doesn't need to be re-invented.

These are some good points and I wanted to address some of them.

1. Parts replacement: there is a 5 year warranty on this product (which is prob the life of a vehicle- give or take a few years). There are no moving parts so there is less of a chance for breaks/damage. Each unit is tested for leaks and defects. The only thing that i can see being replaced is the swivel/christmas tree (which costs no more that $1.00)

2. Labor to remove piece: when designing this product our engineers took a look at making this unit easy to install/uninstall- and all it is is taking two screws off and pulling the face off. We have different styles to retrofit into any exisiting ambulance.

3./4./5. If you were looking to add this to your current unit, I do see the costs involved in getting this unit on your rig. Fortunately I have been working with all the major ambulance manufacturers- which means that next time you are ordering a new vehicle you can request this item and it will be installed and certified just like any other outlet on a rig that you recieve.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

Lets see..........

1. Part replacement = $$

vs.

I agree with Flight. What is wrong or inconvenient about the meter we use now that needs replacing? Its just one of those things that does not need re-invention.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I can see where the fewer moving parts you have the better. So, I kinda like it. There is one thing I do not like at all with just about each and every flowmeter. I do not like plastic nipple adaptors. I think every floweter's should be metal.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Whats the advantage to something like this?

resize.php

This is a dial style flowmeter. The functionality is pretty much the same as a Thorpe (tube) style flowmeter it regulates the flow of the gas being used.

FLOW:
Dial style has fixed orfaces that you click into- meaning that you get more accurate flow (if you click into 4LPM you recieve 4LPM). The thorpe style you will need to turn the knob and follow the ball to see the amount of flow.

DURABILITY:
I would say the dial style has a longer life as its more compact and sturdier than the thorpe style.

COST:
They are pretty much the same (+/- a few dollars)

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not an expert in pneumatics and am just thinking off the top of my head here, but if you used a quick disconnect (similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/9mcrbn) to connect the device into the main O2 line, wouldn't replacing it be as simple as removing the unit from the wall and disconnecting it via the quick disconnect? It wouldn't really be all that much different from changing the current devices.

I agree with Flight. What is wrong or inconvenient about the meter we use now that needs replacing? Its just one of those things that does not need re-invention.

Less hardware jutting out from the wall means less chance to knock your head into something. It would be interesting to see if there was anyway to replace the metal adapter on this style of regulator with something softer? Maybe a reinforced rubber tube with a plastic end piece that the tree attaches to?

Scout

Para-Noid
No the product i posted has been used here for a number of years.

It plugs into the existing flow outlet and requires no instulation into the wall, no screws, no recessing.

And appears to have all the advantages you claim for your product.

Why should i invest in your product when there are simular, less hasselsome, time proven alteritives?

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
No the product i posted has been used here for a number of years.

It plugs into the existing flow outlet and requires no instulation into the wall, no screws, no recessing.

And appears to have all the advantages you claim for your product.

Why should i invest in your product when there are simular, less hasselsome, time proven alteritives?

Scout- good point. The product you showed is basically integrated into a wall outlet of the Integrated Flowmeter.

Some of the advantages of this unit is that its more compact in you area. Also with a built in flowmeter there is always one when you need it at your fingertips.

Have you ever seen two oxygen outlets (side by side) in any rigs? The Integrated Flowmeter takes the place of the dual gang outlets you are used to seeing in ambulances. One port is designated for a flowmeter and the other you can use to hook up a ventilator, a CPAP machine or even another flowmeter. This is convenient and saves space in an already resticted area.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Meh, I am with the others... I really see no point to this, sorry seshan :D

I will stick with what we have now, there is nothing wrong with them. They don't take up much space at all and they get the job done.

Take Care,

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Meh, I am with the others... I really see no point to this, sorry seshan :D

I will stick with what we have now, there is nothing wrong with them. They don't take up much space at all and they get the job done.

Take Care,

Our intentions were not for EMT's to go running to buy this product for their current rigs (which can be done if you like). Our intentions were to make EMT's aware of this product as many of the ambulance manufacturers are equipt with this product and can offer it. This is the future of the oxygen supply for ambulances.

Fran Hildwine (BS, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P) was interested in this product and wrote the review for JEMS.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
MSDelta, replace the plastic christmas tree with metal! Are you crazy!!! The tree brings vibrant color and energy to my life!!!!!

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Here is the article written by Fran Hildwine (BS, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P). If anyone has a copy of this months JEMS, you can read it on page 72.

IntJEMS.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yes, on just about every ambulance and helicopter I've been on over the last decade.
We've had them for a while... because we used to have a preconnected demand valve.

It isn't standard in all vehicles... especially the transport type II's.

Now we've got ports on the curbside wall, the ceiling above the patient, and at the back door (for the multi-lator)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Simple=Better. My company has had terrible luck testing equipment-- especially O2 Flow meters-- and we have seen some pretty bad ones.

Sedan-- do you have an idea of how long these last with daily abuse? How long is the warranty? How easy are they to swap out?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Admin..... this guy is a sales rep and is posting about his products... shouldn't this be in the advertising section?