Input on partners?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Lol ah got it. I also didn't read yhe whole thread either lol

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
No problem. My wife wanted me to point out she hasn't married any of her other EMS partners :)

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
I think there's a subtle advantage to patients when crews are mixed gender, just because there are presenting problems better understood by one versus the other. Also, I wouldn't go out of my way to have a romantic relationship with a partner, and that's certainly not the best reason for getting into EMS, but romantic relationships between partners happen a lot and occasionally work out.
Everybody keep talking about the sex, I'm 18 year old girl that wasn't even on my mind. I meant friendship wise

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why can't you keep it professional?
That's just not who I am.

Everybody keep talking about the sex, I'm 18 year old girl that wasn't even on my mind. I meant friendship wise
The issue is when a male and female work together for 12 or more hours a day they start to build a close bond. For some partners that leads to sex, or dating, or even affairs.

I am a male paramedic with a female EMT partner. I see her more than her own husband does per week. Luckily, while I do get along with her most of the time there are huge issues that prevent me from wanting any sort of relationship with her.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It is not just the TIME spent together, it is how the time is spent together as well. Take it to a chemical level (any biochemistry experts here?)

You have hours of mundane taskings or nothing at all punctuated by intense short bursts of high adrenaline activity which causes you to work close together and to form a trust bond with one another. In short, it is a recipe for fondness. Add in the fact already mentioned above that you on average will spend more time with your regular EMS partner than you will with your "normal" life partner and again, we have the ingredients for "love".

Is it an all out love fest with everyone looking to score? No, not at all. Does the job create more than average opportunity for the feelings of "love"? Absolutely.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

You quoted me, so let me ask if you actually read my remark about why I think there's a subtle advantage to mixed-gender crews -- the part about presenting problems being better understood by one gender than another? If you read that and found it offensive, sorry.

To answer your latest question, I don't think sex is always compatible with friendship. It might be better to start with sex -- lots of it, preferably -- then progress to friendship. Or maybe just keep having sex without friendship.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I'm 18 year old girl that wasn't even on my mind. I meant friendship wise

Sorry for being blunt, but friendship (as in, a purely platonic relationship) between a male and a female, is only possible when both are already in non-platonic relationships they have no desire to end. There is absolutely zero chance that two single people of different genders and same sexual orientation, could become and remain friends, without at least one of them developing romantic feelings. So, if I were you, I'd listen to @mgr22 - especially at your particular age and everything that comes with it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Maybe not on yours, but its on EVERY 18 year old male's mind

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I work with a girl who had never met a gay person before...that went over real well. She's from a real strict Hmong family and she had never been around anyone who was gay. We kind of bounded over that first awkward conversation and we have been really good friends ever since.

Friendships are great in EMS, especially when it really is just a good strong friendship. My partner is a SO and she is treated like one of the guys at work. She jokes that she talks to her "work husband" more than she talks to me and its true but there is no worry there.