Input on partners?

Hill

Forum Crew Member
Hi, I am hopefully going to be a feature EMS worker.... I would like to know about partners. From your personal experience, do you switch a lot. Have the same partner til one leaves? Form a great relationship. Women women partners, male male partners, male women partners. I just want to know your experience!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's going to vary tremendously based on the system you work for. I've worked for systems that schedule you with different partners every shift. I've worked for a system that would have you rotate partners once a month. And I currently work somewhere where I could keep the same partner for 30 years if I wanted. As to how well you get along and form relationships- that's an interpersonal interaction just like anywhere else. Some will end up being your best friends, while others you hope get hit by a bus.

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
It's going to vary tremendously based on the system you work for. I've worked for systems that schedule you with different partners every shift. I've worked for a system that would have you rotate partners once a month. And I currently work somewhere where I could keep the same partner for 30 years if I wanted. As to how well you get along and form relationships- that's an interpersonal interaction just like anywhere else. Some will end up being your best friends, while others you hope get hit by a bus.
Well I hope I get the one for 30 years part. It would seem you should work with someone you can work efficiently with. But hey? Thanks!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Just don't sleep with them...made that mistake too many times. :)

You will get close with some, you will share many intimate stories, you will emotionally bond....the physicality follows the mental. And despite a few success stories, the overwhelming majority just do not end well. Avoid office relationships!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I think there's a subtle advantage to patients when crews are mixed gender, just because there are presenting problems better understood by one versus the other. Also, I wouldn't go out of my way to have a romantic relationship with a partner, and that's certainly not the best reason for getting into EMS, but romantic relationships between partners happen a lot and occasionally work out.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Also, I wouldn't go out of my way to have a romantic relationship with a partner, and that's certainly not the best reason for getting into EMS, but romantic relationships between partners happen a lot and occasionally work out.

I'd say you're new at this, but you've been around long enough to know that last part is a terrible idea.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Don't fish of the company pier.
Don't dip your pen in the companies ink.

... Or, my favorite...

Don't poop where you eat.

Hooking up with a coworker is almost always a truly not good, very bad idea.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Fixed it for ya.

but romantic relationships between partners happen a lot and occasionally work out.....until they don't.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a married couple in our system where one had an affair... Also company ink. #drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
We have a married couple in our system where one had an affair... Also company ink. #drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might work for the same company lol!

I have the same partner per day of the week. Example: Jack (made up name) is my Thursday partner. I work with him every Thursday. Jill (made up) is my Friday partner. I work with her every Friday. And so on. I work with both women and men. And my company sends out crews with every combination of genders lol.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
We have new shift bids every 4 months.

I was with the same guy for a long time, but I wanted to change hours and work with my friend, so now I'm on a female/female bus. I'm a creature of habit (I like having the same partner/hours every week) so it works out well.

And don't sleep with co-workers. Likewise, don't get someone you are sleeping with a job where you work. It's incredibly awkward when it doesn't work out.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I worked with a variety of different people all the time. Maybe 20 different partners. Now I am mid-level management, and I work with about 45 different people.

I've enjoyed working with about 30 of those people, been indifferent with about 12 of those people, and strongly disliked about 3.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd say you're new at this, but you've been around long enough to know that last part is a terrible idea.

Try suggesting that to my wife (of 11 years) and ex-partner. Too bad we didn't have you around to tell us what a terrible idea it was.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Twas fun....

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Try suggesting that to my wife (of 11 years) and ex-partner. Too bad we didn't have you around to tell us what a terrible idea it was.
Been there. My ex partner and ex fiance are happily married. They started sleeping together when we were engaged, she was a dispatcher, and he was my partner.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Been there. My ex partner and ex fiance are happily married. They started sleeping together when we were engaged, she was a dispatcher, and he was my partner.
Uh...that's not what I meant, but I see how you got that from my post. I definitely should have just let this whole topic scroll away :) I meant my wife was my EMS partner, and we're happily married, so it is possible, although not common. Now maybe I'll try explaining all this to my wife :)