Initial application "approved"?

ESRyan91

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone! So last week I finally went to take my NR exam and found out I passed the next day. So when I found out I immediately went and paid my texas application fees. So I submitted but hadn't paid for my application back in May because I wasn't able to take my NR exam until now for unavoidable reasons. I'm going to have my finger prints done tomorrow but on my texas initial application it says approved but I cant find my name when I search. So does that mean my application has been approved to be reviewed or does it mean my application has been approved and I should be receiving my certification in 4 to 6 weeks? Thanks for the help and answers!!

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If only there was a phone number(let's just say (800)232-3162 as an example), or an email address(oh, I don't know, lsw@dshs.texas.gov maybe) you could reach out to and get the exact answer you seek from somebody who wouldn't be guessing, or making up an answer.

Gee willikers would I really love to live in that world....

OP
OP
ESRyan91

ESRyan91

Forum Ride Along
The sarcasm is always appreciated

OP
OP
ESRyan91

ESRyan91

Forum Ride Along
Fair answer to the question for an anonymous forum. How would we know the answer to a question that a regulatory agency is in charge of.

Fair enough. I was just hoping maybe someone has had experience with that particular situation in the past or if it says approved to everyone who has submitted their application.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The sarcasm is always appreciated
and completely appropriate in this situation.

Contacting the proper authority is often a much better action than asking a question on an international EMS forum...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you haven't done your fingerprinting, then there's no way you can be approved as an EMT in the state of Texas. Your initial application is approved, but if you're not showing up on search then you're not certified.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Why is it that this simple concept is so hard to grasp?
Why is it so hard to realize that we (emtlife.com) is a resource that people go to to seek questions to answers? While sarcasm has its place every now and then, why not guide them on the path to an answer?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Why is it so hard to realize that we (emtlife.com) is a resource that people go to to seek questions to answers? While sarcasm has its place every now and then, why not guide them on the path to an answer?

I gave him both the phone number and e.ail address to solve his problem. Can you suggest any more "guidance" I could have provided, short of calling myself?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

While you have a valid point on SOME topics, as experienced EMS people, older and/or wiser folk in all things EMS and in life general...do we not owe a duty to the younger crew of occasionally steering them in the right direction but then standing back and letting them complete the race on their own?

Or in more direct terms, at what point do we stop handing every little thing to them and instead encourage them to seek stuff on their own?

I am not that old for crying out loud, however it absolutely amazes me repeatedly at how many people find this forum through google searches and pose a question here, as opposed to googling the agency their question is about and directing it there...what are they wasting their time for to gain answers which are possibly quite wrong? Why does this mindset exist?

If I have a question on NR, I will call or email NR. Same with any state. Now I may circle back and share info or experiences, I would never seek answers from people on a forum when it involved licensing, processes to follow, etc. I would always go to THE source. I then would present/share findings and ask for more input.

(Rant almost over)

What are the long term ramifications of "us" continuously enabling a generation who does nothing more than a few finger strokes in the wrong direction?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
While you have a valid point on SOME topics, as experienced EMS people, older and/or wiser folk in all things EMS and in life general...do we not owe a duty to the younger crew of occasionally steering them in the right direction but then standing back and letting them complete the race on their own?

Or in more direct terms, at what point do we stop handing every little thing to them and instead encourage them to seek stuff on their own?

I am not that old for crying out loud, however it absolutely amazes me repeatedly at how many people find this forum through google searches and pose a question here, as opposed to googling the agency their question is about and directing it there...what are they wasting their time for to gain answers which are possibly quite wrong? Why does this mindset exist?

If I have a question on NR, I will call or email NR. Same with any state. Now I may circle back and share info or experiences, I would never seek answers from people on a forum when it involved licensing, processes to follow, etc. I would always go to THE source. I then would present/share findings and ask for more input.

(Rant almost over)

What are the long term ramifications of "us" continuously enabling a generation who does nothing more than a few finger strokes in the wrong direction?

This. Every word of this, in this order, forever.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I agree. Giving a person simple answers shows them that if they don't know something, they should just ask a random person for the answer. And the next time they don't know something, guess what they will do? Isn't it better to get them to start searching for their answers on their own, but either calling an authoritative source, or doing some of their own research, until they find the solution they are looking for?

I think this sums up many people's opinions on this topic:
maimonides1.jpg

and then of course you get this inspirational meme....

Teach-A-Man.jpeg

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Millennial here (born in 94). When I got my NR and was applying for state I didn't find my way here to post a redundant question. I used google to find my ems agency thus fininding the initial certification process policy. I also found the phone number to call if I had further questions. Took 5 minutes and I had all the information I needed vs a unknown amount of time posting a question on here waiting for someone to reply when you can take 5 minutes and find it for yourself.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I gave him both the phone number and e.ail address to solve his problem. Can you suggest any more "guidance" I could have provided, short of calling myself?

No, what you did was perfect. Spot on.

do we not owe a duty to the younger crew of occasionally steering them in the right direction but then standing back and letting them complete the race on their own?

No, that's absolutely what I think you should do.

There are multiple ways for people to seek answers to questions. One of those ways is by asking their peers. That's why forums (still) exist.

I completely agree with the both of you that the OP needs to contact the state directly. The suggestion to do so, minus the sarcasm, was in my opinion the best answer. However, the responses above essentially saying "why ask here" tends to scare off those who might needs a little guidance.