Infection Protection

reneew10

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
EMT workers routinely treat patients that carry infections. There is no way of predicting what germs you may encounter when treating a patient or what illness they will have. What precautions are you taking to protect yourself from the unknowns of your everyday job?

You want to stick with the basics to begin with, proper BSI along with hand washing and general good hygiene. If your patient has a bad cough or you don't feel comfortable breathing the same air as they do put a mask on you or them whether it be a N-95 or a surgical mask. A non rebreather can't hurt! Keep up on vaccinations and your health.

- HAZMAT

I generally wear a HAZMAT suit, I get some stange looks from people. However, I look important.

I generally wear a HAZMAT suit, I get some stange looks from people. However, I look important.

If you really want to look important, make sure it says "EMS" on it in at least 5 places, and make sure you also wear a belt with at least 5 items on it as well :P

If you really want to look important, make sure it says "EMS" on it in at least 5 places, and make sure you also wear a belt with at least 5 items on it as well :P

5? Amateur!

As for me, I generally try to avoid licking the patients. Mostly I am successful, sometimes I am not.

As for me, I generally try to avoid licking the patients. Mostly I am successful, sometimes I am not.

I hate it when that happens. Things are going fine, you relax and start your paperwork...next thing you know, you're licking the patient again.

5? Amateur!

5 is just the number to start at. That way, when you see more stuff you might need, you have plenty of room to add it!

I really like to get my hands good and gooed up with their spit and rub my fingers in my eye.

I once managed to pick up lice from a particularly filthy pt. i dont know how. i kept my hair short and wear a hat.but i now eliminate the possibility of it ever happening again by shaving my head. well... i also didn't think i could rock out with the ben franklin hair...

I'm dreading the day when i get sent to a house w/ active TB for a chief complaint of "feels sick". I also dread doing CPR on a pt, bringing them back... only they've really only become re-animated as a zombie and will now proceed to eat my brains. watch zombie movies... it totally counts as a transmittable disease.

"dissppaaatcchheerrrsss...--- er... I mean... brraaaaaainnnsss"

I'm dreading the day when i get sent to a house w/ active TB for a chief complaint of "feels sick". I also dread doing CPR on a pt, bringing them back... only they've really only become re-animated as a zombie and will now proceed to eat my brains. watch zombie movies... it totally counts as a transmittable disease.

Don't forget about rule # 4: Double tap. Don't be stingy with ammo.

Dude, I got a polarized visor(with my company's logo on it), American flag on one shoulder, county EMS logo on the other, "EMT" on the back, company logo left chest, County EMS logo on my gloves, and top of the line scissor holster.

Dude, I got a polarized visor(with my company's logo on it),

estrada.jpg

5? Amateur!

I actually once had a whac... a more socially-inclined EMT tell me that I should "wipe the person and lick it to tell if they're sweaty or clammy."

You can't see me, but I'm giggling right now. -_-

To keep my post on topic, I recommend against wiping and licking your patients.

I actually once had a whac... a more socially-inclined EMT tell me that I should "wipe the person and lick it to tell if they're sweaty or clammy."

You can't see me, but I'm giggling right now. -_-

To keep my post on topic, I recommend against wiping and licking your patients.

Actually, the lick test is used for swine flu. If the patient tastes like bacon, then the patient has swine flu.

actually, the lick test is used for swine flu. If the patient tastes like bacon, then the patient has swine flu.

booooo!!

Dude, I got a polarized visor(with my company's logo on it), American flag on one shoulder, county EMS logo on the other, "EMT" on the back, company logo left chest, County EMS logo on my gloves, and top of the line scissor holster.

Woah. Nice setup! Can you send me links? :P

No but in all seriousness, I think 2 (maybe 3) of those things are actually legitimate or not "whackerish." Who wants to guess which ones? B)

Actually, the lick test is used for swine flu. If the patient tastes like bacon, then the patient has swine flu.

If they are large enough, it is sometimes possible to look for grease drippings. These also indicate swine flu.

If they are large enough, it is sometimes possible to look for grease drippings. These also indicate swine flu.

Why not just go the whole way?

Cut them up into strips, and cook them like you would bacon. If they taste good, they had swine flu. If not, they didn't.

:PB)

Back