Increasing my chances (Boston EMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I never heard anything about that. I sent away for a brochure, so I guess that will tell me if the rumor is correct.

medichopeful

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well it would be news to me, but i havent been involved in the neu paramedic program in about a year so im not the best source for that info

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Might be having a tough time competing with all the medic mill programs out there. Why pay 15K for an Associates when you can pay 3k for a certificate when thats really all the fire departments care about? I haven't been around the program in ages, not since before Janet left....:blush:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Might be having a tough time competing with all the medic mill programs out there. Why pay 15K for an Associates when you can pay 3k for a certificate when thats really all the fire departments care about? I haven't been around the program in ages, not since before Janet left....:blush:

15 sir? 18,240 just in base tuition and book and thats just for paramedic tech. it actually ended up being around 22 for the folks that made it all the way through when i was there, again paramedic tech only. i dont remember how much the rest of the courses to round out the as were, but iirc it rounded it out to somewhere in the 30 range.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
It's been a while, but it has never been a cheap place to go to school (GI Bill helps:p). I can imagine that with the huge difference in cost between NEU and the various part time short money programs they might have trouble filling spots. I don't know. It would be nice if Mass would go the way of Oregon, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
my class started at 22 and graduated 18 i think.

its definatley ridiculously expensive, but that doesnt mean it isnt worth it. we had toys very few other schools can afford. we had six of the full size sim man manikins that you can do just about anything to(defib/pace, iv's, bp's, pulse, respirations, airway. the whole deal). other schools have em, but one maybe two. we had six. you know those airman mannequins with the controls to simultae trismus, anterior airway, angioedema etc? we had three. still not a good as real flesh, but a damn sight better than your standard airway mannequins. 3 brand new lp12's with all the toys. m series, e series, and enough old lp's to go around.

we had enough gear to break the whole class down into 4 or 5 person groups and nobody was fighting over stuff to play with. sure, 22 grand is a whole boat load of money to get a medics ticket. but theres two sides to ever story and the toys we had available to us were pretty cool.

if for 22 grand, there was some soft of mechanism in place whereby somebody followed me home every day and put a pistol to my head to make me study the minutiae, id be writing this post as a medic............

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You can always come down here and get your degree in EMS all for the whopping costs of about $4-5K total. This also is one of the top ten Paramedic schools in the U.S. They also just opened a 5 million dollar health education center.

R/r911

John E

Forum Captain
Rid...

is that for an AS or a BS degree?

Sounds high for an AS and low for a BS.

John E.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
If only OK had an ocean...Thats actually a good idea for someone looking to be a medic, even if OK isn't were they plan on staying, get your education for cheap, and then go were you like.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I would inform anyone that is applying to an EMS not to inform them that their plans are to leave them i.e. nursing, firefighting (of course unless its through a FD). Employers are not wanting to place money and time into someone that have already plans in place to leave.

Good luck,

R/r 911

I told my company up front that I want to work there because the flexibility of their shifts will make it easier to go to nursing school in a year. I still got the job. And the hiring lady and I even sat and talked about the bridge program awhile. :p

ruprgnant

Forum Ride Along
boston ems

due to the hiring rate in boston, your best bet at getting onto a paramedic bus may just being jumping in the middle of the road and getting hit... you're chances of getting onto a P-B truck will increase 10 fold within minutes!!!:ph34r:

threesevenkilo

Forum Probie
due to the hiring rate in boston, your best bet at getting onto a paramedic bus may just being jumping in the middle of the road and getting hit... you're chances of getting onto a P-B truck will increase 10 fold within minutes!!!:ph34r:

I do not advise this if you are pregnant:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.