Incomplete spinal cord injury OR...

Veneficus

Forum Chief

M3dicDO

Forum Crew Member
Just a EMT-B volunteer. I enjoy reading the in depth explanations. Thanks a bunch! We never got in to nerves really in EMT, hence my diagnosis of the Brown Sequard. Just going off what I personally knew in my mind. Thanks a bunch for the insight!

No problem! You had the right idea when you thought about Brown-Sequard indeed. I left out a few details here and there, so let me know if you want me to elaborate any of it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just a EMT-B volunteer. I enjoy reading the in depth explanations. Thanks a bunch! We never got in to nerves really in EMT, hence my diagnosis of the Brown Sequard. Just going off what I personally knew in my mind. Thanks a bunch for the insight!

Here's everything you're missing... :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bygOaphU4o&feature=related[/youtube]

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I suspected an incomplete spinal cord injury known as brown-sequared syndrome

To the OP, don't take this personally but I have a good point to make.

USAFMEDIC45's Rule #28 of EMS: If they can't spell the name of the condition, chances are their diagnosis of it is questionable at best.

This goes for every level of provider, be they an EMT-B, EMT-P, RN, RT or DO/MD.

However, it does sound like there was something going on with this case. That said, you should follow up with your medical director to see what the true answer to the question of diagnosis is.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I know this doesn't help at all with the case but damn, I have to say that reading through the posts on this thread has left me feeling stupid. I have six tabs open to different sites thanks a few of the posts on here haha...here comes some serious reading.

I was just going to say something like that.

Neuro is where I really get lost at the moment. I am studying it still, but sheesh....you would have to be a genius to figure this all out in the first place. :rolleyes:

JPINFV

Gadfly
12+medical+specialty+stereotypes+full.jpg

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
There were only four specialties I ever seriously considered for any length of time:
-Pathology (specifically forensic pathology)
-Radiology
-Neurosurgery
-Anesthesiology

I keep trying to tell the director of one of the public health programs that I am seriously considering that I don't want to do an MD/PhD program. It would be funny to have the MD so that when someone pulls the "You're not an MD" card on me, I have a rebuttal that'll shut them up. However, I think 4 years of hell is excessive to simply have a really good smartass comment.

M3dicDO

Forum Crew Member
USAFMEDIC45's Rule #28 of EMS: If they can't spell the name of the condition, chances are their diagnosis of it is questionable at best.

Amen! :)

However, it does sound like there was something going on with this case. That said, you should follow up with your medical director to see what the true answer to the question of diagnosis is.

Absolutely. There's never anything wrong with coming up with a good list of differentials and then coming up with the best possible diagnosis after further testing. What I offered was a possible diagnosis based on the limited information provided. If possible I too would highly recommend following up with the receiving hospital and see what the outcome of the patient was. It is a great way to learn, and more importantly makes you a better clinician.

you would have to be a genius to figure this all out in the first place. :rolleyes:

Nope, doesn't take a genius to come up with something like this. Only 4 years of med school.......

I am seriously considering that I don't want to do an MD/PhD program. It would be funny to have the MD so that when someone pulls the "You're not an MD" card on me, I have a rebuttal that'll shut them up. However, I think 4 years of hell is excessive to simply have a really good smartass comment.

Go for it!!!!! I'm not sure how old you are but have you looked at recent stats? The median age of incoming classes seems to get older every year. I am a non-traditional student myself, and there are a dozen other students in my class that come from other full-time careers to become physicians. Some have families, even little children. I know of a fellow classmate with two small kids and a wife who's a stay-at-home mom. He takes out loans not only for tuition but for his entire family's expenses! And I thought I had it rough being in debt for $50,000 each year :glare:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Amen! :)

Absolutely. There's never anything wrong with coming up with a good list of differentials and then coming up with the best possible diagnosis after further testing. What I offered was a possible diagnosis based on the limited information provided. If possible I too would highly recommend following up with the receiving hospital and see what the outcome of the patient was. It is a great way to learn, and more importantly makes you a better clinician.

Nope, doesn't take a genius to come up with something like this. Only 4 years of med school.......

Go for it!!!!! I'm not sure how old you are but have you looked at recent stats? The median age of incoming classes seems to get older every year. I am a non-traditional student myself, and there are a dozen other students in my class that come from other full-time careers to become physicians. Some have families, even little children. I know of a fellow classmate with two small kids and a wife who's a stay-at-home mom. He takes out loans not only for tuition but for his entire family's expenses! And I thought I had it rough being in debt for $50,000 each year :glare:
I'm 30, still have two to three years left on undergrad, then have to do my masters. I'm lucky in that I'm a non-custodial parent and have had a vasectomy so no more kids for me. However, I just generally don't have that much interest in dealing with patients again unless it's on my terms. I think the clinical rotations (especially primary care and obstetrics) would likely push me completely over the edge.