Im losing my love for the job

JAMedic

Forum Probie
So ive been losing my love for my job lately. I don't know why it happened, it just did. I have been in ems for 3 years. Basic for 2 medic for 1. I used to work all the time, as much overtime as I wanted. Now I just work my schedule as is cause I have a family now. I just don't get excited to come to work or go to a call anymore. I've had many bad calls and it never affected me. I was just wondering if anyone had advice to either recapture the excitement and love, or if I should go back to college for another career...

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Ive been in the same boat. I figured out that it wasn't the job that was the issue, because I love it, it is the people I was working with. I was able to change shifts and get a great partner. Now I love going to work, the other shift I was on was just negative and lazy, and I believe no matter how hard you try, eventually it will rub off on you. I mean you do spend 1/3 of the month with these people haha. Maybe for you it's not the job, perhaps the people you work with? Just trying to problem solve. Maybe take a few days off and come back refreshed.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe it is a good thing?

Not being "excited" to go see people in their worst moments for little pay is probably a maturing process to some degree. People who get inappropriately chirpy at the scene bother me. I prefer folks who exit the vehicle looking bored and exude a sense of "nothing to get excited about, we're going to get on with this". Also, yelling "wahoo!" during code three response is a little unsettling!

If you could be a bug on the wall of the dressing room of your favorite band, you would hear them complaining about the lights or discussing the sound system, not carrying on about how excited they are to be performing once again. Detachment is good as it frees intellect.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Maybe or maybe not

I was just wondering if anyone had advice to either recapture the excitement and love, or if I should go back to college for another career...

Why did you get in to it in the first place?

Where did your relationship with that motivation change? When?

I hear a glimmer of love remains and you lament the loss of its bulk.

If you choose, you can fan that flame, but don't forget, this is a burnout job that can have negative consequences for your patients if you go beyond your tolerance. There's no wrong here, and ask yourself has the job been taking away from your ability to connect with family? You know the stuff; holding out on speaking because your life is filled with unspeakable things, finding it hard to remove layers of protection once you get home, stuff like that. If that is true, then the job is less important...much less than your family.

Maybe you have come to the end of your rope.

But then again, maybe you're just losing perspective which may just need to be tweaked a little.

Personally, once I stepped back and started looking at the Big Picture I was able to better understand myself as a healer and recognize how important every moment was to the people I served. Once I better understood why I was there, it made it worthwhile. In my case I chose to stick out a couple years to finish something that I started -- union organizing. That's what burned me out, yet my love for the not-quite profession and the medics I worked with made the last push worthwhile.

At the same time, don't kid yourself. If worries over future security of your family (physical or emotional) are cropping up, the lack of stability of the industry may necessitate you accepting this as a learning experience and prompt you to move into something with more of a future.

At any rate, there are a lot of perspectives here to look at. Notice those who really get off on the job still and see if their attitudes fit for you.

Good Fortune, and keep coming back!

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
So I posted this before in another thread, but no one responded to it. It is however an effective way in re-evaluating what you are doing.

"I think it is important to continually discern what you do in life. I think a great way is asking three general questions: whats brings you joy in life, what are you good at in life, and what do you think the world needs you to do? These questions aren't answered with a sentence, in fact it is probably good if you can't concisely answer these questions right away. A "vocation" that is supported by these answers is likely to bring genuine happiness."

Spend hours, days, or weeks with those three questions to get a true answer for each one. Think about it in context of EMS too.

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
I think Mycrofft really hit the nail on the head when mentioning the maturity level aspect. To expand on that I would also say that part of the newness has worn off, plus the addition of other priorities in your life, both of which foster a bit of growing up so to speak.

I have been off and on in the industry for years. Currently I find myself back in the business after a long hiatus, partly due to being burnt out, and tired of the same ol thing. After being away I realized I missed that good feeling I got when we actually helped someone.... that feeling is what made me get into the business to begin with way back in 1987.

I think it is normal to feel that way. I would suggest trying something new for awhile... either in the field, or something that will add to your skill set outside of EMS.

Often times we never realize how green the grass is where we are standing, until we make a move, and jump over the fence. Then we get a good look at where we were at, and why we were there.

Follow your gut instinct, it will steer you straight.

W

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I used to work all the time, as much overtime as I wanted. Now I just work my schedule as is cause I have a family now.
omg, you have a family and you don't want to work as much so you can spend time with them? how unreasonable is that, to want to spend time with your spouse and child instead of at work? you should definitely speak to someone about that.
I just don't get excited to come to work or go to a call anymore. I've had many bad calls and it never affected me. I was just wondering if anyone had advice to either recapture the excitement and love, or if I should go back to college for another career...
first off all priorities change. wanting to spend time with your family instead of work is normal.

remember, you have a life outside of work. the job isn't about the excitement, it's about putting food on the table an paying the bills. sometimes a change of venue can help, but the reality is you need to do what is best for you.

I made a change of venue, to see if the grass was greener. everyone says it isn't, but for me, it definitely was. but i know others (from my former employer) who did the same thing and went back after less than a year. it all depends on how you perceive the change.

btw, I have been doing this for 10 years, and still like the occasionally major trauma or really sick medical patient. but that's just me, and I have found a break from the ambulance too.

mycrofft

Welcome to Grownupsville.

Archetypical EMT's:censored:used to be either part-timers who were full time students (usually pre-med), or divorced middle-aged men with frustrated dreams about self-employment and spending a lot of time with younger EMT's and in bars. I gather that isn't as common as before.

One bad lift and EMS is through with you. Your family is another matter, not to mention your obligations to them.

mycrofft

Wha'd I say?

:unsure:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
remember, you have a life outside of work. the job isn't about the excitement, it's about putting food on the table an paying the bills. sometimes a change of venue can help, but the reality is you need to do what is best for you.

Agreed. However enjoying your job is important as well. Otherwise you will just drive yourself bonkers.