IFT vs 911 Pay

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Man the small amount of money they pay you guys in the states should be a crime. Is it diff. if you get on as a fire medic? I know here where I live paramedics start at around 30. Still think there should be wage parity with nurses, but untill we get better unions.. what can ya do :) btw im in Canada

I have yet to see anyone explain what makes emt so special that their wage should on parity with nurses. EMT are nothing special and as such do not make much money as anyone can easily become emt in very short period.

Probi

Forum Probie
im refering to paramedics, I mean I may be wrong cause im pretty noobie but paramedics where im from have a much larger scope to deal with cardiac issues. Im pretty sure nurses cant even intubate, unless that just because they can but a collective agreement for Respiratory Therapists prevents them from this. hmm.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
im refering to paramedics, I mean I may be wrong cause im pretty noobie but paramedics where im from have a much larger scope to deal with cardiac issues. Im pretty sure nurses cant even intubate, unless that just because they can but a collective agreement for Respiratory Therapists prevents them from this. hmm.

This is an IFT vs 911 thread, so scope of practice should hardly be a part of the discussion. Worry not, there are lots of other threads to argue over scope.

Probi

Forum Probie
lool sorry for hi jacking ur thread O.P. anyways id try 9/11 thats where you'll likely gain most of your skills

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
I have another question relating to employment. In LA-county, to be a paramedic you must also be a firefighter. Is this true for all of California or just LA? Say if I go to San Francisco, am I able to try to become a paramedic w/o becoming a firefighter?

Its true mainly for Metropolitan areas in CA.. I know San Fran is Firebased EMS.. Same with LA County, Orange County, and maybe San Deigo county?

There are a few Counties in CA that have Private Company Medics run the calls (eg:AMR,Hall Ambulance) in Riverside,Kern,Alameda,San Bernadino counties..

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Man the small amount of money they pay you guys in the states should be a crime. Is it diff. if you get on as a fire medic? I know here where I live paramedics start at around 30. Still think there should be wage parity with nurses, but untill we get better unions.. what can ya do :) btw im in Canada

in Orange County (So Cal) Fire Medics make around 80k-100k a year
Fire Medics make considerably more amount of money here than private medics..

private company medics make anywhere from $14-20/hr