Ideas for EMT hire with disability

PA or bust

Forum Ride Along
I’m a new EMT with epilepsy. My seizures are few and far between, but I realize that the possibility of getting hired on a ambulance is minimal - and I doubt they’d make sure extra personnel are on the ambulance to make sure .

So I’m thinking the hospital is the perfect place for me, if anything happens to me OR the patient we’re already at the place to be! I’m also thinking about doctors offices and walk in clinics.

Wondering if there is anything else experienced medics/emts could provide information on? I really want hands on patient experience for my next goal.

I lived an a rural area with volunteer EMS and they kept begging me to join. I guess because they always had enough personal and they felt like the chance was so minimal . Now living in a more congested area I realize that’s not practical and safe.
Any information is appreciated:)

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Your avatar says PA or bust so I'm guessing the idea is to just break out into the healthcare field on your way to more advanced practice? Have you considered anesthesia technician? Less hands on care than an EMT (generally speaking) but your exposure to more advanced medical situation/concepts and practitioners (surgeons, anesthesia folks etc.) might lend itself to more hospital based stuff going forward...just a thought.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Unless there is a seizure in the middle of a procedure In the OR.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Unless there is a seizure in the middle of a procedure In the OR.
eh...I've seen scrubs pass out and a surgeon with the flu break out to barf in the kick bucket. Stuff happens...life goes on....

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked with an epileptic EMT for 2+ years. I worried about what would happen if she seized during a call, but that didn't happen. She did have an absence sz once on the way back from a call. She was much less of a problem than partners who were drunk, distraught, insensitive or incompetent.

I'd say I was a bit preoccupied with her condition, which wasn't good. On the positive side, no one was better at dealing with postictal patients than she was. I accepted the former in return for the latter plus her above-average street skills.

I suppose the bottom line is how well you can control your condition while working.

OP
OP
P

PA or bust

Forum Ride Along
just a little about me since I know epilepsy is different with everyone

I take my medication as directed, I go to my neurologist and have any test he recommends.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy over 20 years ago, and have a history of grand mal and petite mal seizures. My seizures are pretty infrequent ( I’m very lucky!) maybe every year or so. Currently my last documented is about 4 years ago! :)

I only have one documented seizure where I experienced an aura and they have occurred at any time of day.

I will say I am more susceptible if I amVERY tired or stressed, but I can’t even blame those factors entirely because I’ve graduated from college and of course I had all nighters and was stressed.

I appreciate all the information you all are giving me. when I completed my class, I got the feeling they would like me on their Fire crew but I don’t think a ambulance service would hire me because of it , and I understand. There is already 1 patient in the back the the ambulance, you don’t need another

OP
OP
P

PA or bust

Forum Ride Along
I worked with an epileptic EMT for 2+ years. I worried about what would happen if she seized during a call, but that didn't happen. She did have an absence sz once on the way back from a call. She was much less of a problem than partners who were drunk, distraught, insensitive or incompetent.

I'd say I was a bit preoccupied with her condition, which wasn't good. On the positive side, no one was better at dealing with postictal patients than she was. I accepted the former in return for the latter plus her above-average street skills.

I suppose the bottom line is how well you can control your condition while working.

Wow! Where you located in a larger or smaller area? Did the employer know? Did she share with you what type of epilepsy she had? If so, what type?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow! Where you located in a larger or smaller area? Did the employer know? Did she share with you what type of epilepsy she had? If so, what type?

Large suburban system. Everyone knew. She had occasional tonic/clonic seizures, but never on the job. I don't know the specific etiology. She tried all of the anticonvulsants popular in the late '90s -- e.g. Neurontin, Topomax, Klonopin, Tegretol, Lamictal -- then had surgery that pretty much eliminated the problem.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Unfortunately IDLH environments are a bad mix with seizures, I wouldn’t risk working fire.

I’m surprised someone didn’t say something sooner. It’s not just a matter of having a second patient, if you seize you are no longer able to provide them care, essentially unintentionally abandoning them.

OP
OP
P

PA or bust

Forum Ride Along
Your avatar says PA or bust so I'm guessing the idea is to just break out into the healthcare field on your way to more advanced practice? Have you considered anesthesia technician? Less hands on care than an EMT (generally speaking) but your exposure to more advanced medical situation/concepts and practitioners (surgeons, anesthesia folks etc.) might lend itself to more hospital based stuff going forward...just a thought.
I’ve thought about other things. PA schools don’t consider that and other alike hands on patient care. I’m currently a pharmacy technician and I was far ahead of my classmates in medications, side effects, etc but again not classified as hands on patient care. EMS is not only hands on , but highly sought after since they are trained to think more on their feet and critically.

They also really appreciate CNA work, but I tried that and let’s just say that’s not for me.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
If you want to be a PA, go get a bachelor’s degree, work in a hospital for a bit, apply to PA school and work as a PA. Working in a non-emergency office setting, would be fantastic for someone with epilepsy.

That being said, I have a severe heart condition (have been in cardiac arrest and have a pacemaker). I was already in EMS when first diagnosed, so everyone in EMS knows about that. But...when I went into nursing, I just never, ever told anyone about it. While it is responsible to share your disability with your partners in case you become a liability, it is still your right to keep your disability private.

OP
OP
P

PA or bust

Forum Ride Along
If you want to be a PA, go get a bachelor’s degree, work in a hospital for a bit, apply to PA school and work as a PA. Working in a non-emergency office setting, would be fantastic for someone with epilepsy.

That being said, I have a severe heart condition (have been in cardiac arrest and have a pacemaker). I was already in EMS when first diagnosed, so everyone in EMS knows about that. But...when I went into nursing, I just never, ever told anyone about it. While it is responsible to share your disability with your partners in case you become a liability, it is still your right to keep your disability private.

Could you elaborate what you mean “get a bachelors degree and work in a hospital “.

I’m not sure if you mean get a degree any degree and work in admin or get a degree like a nursing degree and work as a nurse.

There are many types of degrees and every position has requirements , many don’t even require a bachelors.
Looking at your title, i know you’re much more familiar than I, I’m genuinely misunderstanding how and what positions one can hold if one had just a bachelors in a hospital ex:biology

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Could you elaborate what you mean “get a bachelors degree and work in a hospital “.

I’m not sure if you mean get a degree any degree and work in admin or get a degree like a nursing degree and work as a nurse.

There are many types of degrees and every position has requirements , many don’t even require a bachelors.
Looking at your title, i know you’re much more familiar than I, I’m genuinely misunderstanding how and what positions one can hold if one had just a bachelors in a hospital ex:biology
I believe he is referring the the fact that most PA (physician assistant) programs require a bachelors degree. it doesn't matter what the bachelors is in, as long as it's a bachelors degree and you have the required coursework.

So you can get a degree in underwater basket weaving and it will satisfy the requirements, provided you have the course work in chem, bio, orgo, micro, etc. PA programs also require patient care experience, hence the healthcare job.

OP
OP
P

PA or bust

Forum Ride Along
I believe he is referring the the fact that most PA (physician assistant) programs require a bachelors degree. it doesn't matter what the bachelors is in, as long as it's a bachelors degree and you have the required coursework.

So you can get a degree in underwater basket weaving and it will satisfy the requirements, provided you have the course work in chem, bio, orgo, micro, etc. PA programs also require patient care experience, hence the healthcare job.
I’m familiar with that.
Yes, they definitely require patient care experience. Thank you. ☺️

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN

Degree: Get a degree in Biology, PreMed, Biomedical Engineering...whatever will help toward your future ambitions of being a PA.

Working in a hospital: get a job as a PCA, PCT or CNA. Most hospital jobs require no experience for these positions and most provide the training.