Ics 300?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The classes aren't THAT bad. They take time yes, but with a little dedication you will get them.

Yeah, but they largely serve no real purpose other than justifying someone's position at FEMA writing the material.

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
LOL I dont post that much. Im kind of intimidated with all the other people here :unsure:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
ICS 300 & 400 are good if you have a good instructor. We spend most of ICS 400 outside at a sandtable actually drawing incidents and discussing how we would handle them.

while they are kinda tedious, the nature of the business has made it so if you expect to lead at a scene, unless you have advanced leadership classes you will get tossed

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
To be NIMS compliant, all front-line first responders are required to have ICS-100 and NIMS-700. 200 is required if you will be in command of a single resource (which covers most EMTs, who will be in 'command' of their ambulance). First-line supervisors are required to have ICS-300, and Chief Officers require ICS-400. I don't know where 800 comes in, though I have it and found it to be an enormous waste of my time.

Incidentally, ICS-300 is 24 hours of death by powerpoint, and I would rather have a root canal than sit through it again. That was one of the (several) times I have questioned my sanity for becoming an EMS officer.

If nothing else, you learn interesting things. For example, don't request a 'tanker' for a fire while out west, or a large plane will fly overhead and soak you in red stuff. Also, if you ask for 'six buses' for your MCI patients, don't be shocked when school buses pull up, since you should be asking for an ambulance if that's what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I was talking to some police officers this evening about the ICS system and said how ICS 300 is "death by Powerpoint". They all agreed and all said it taught them absolutely nothing.