Ick factors

Epi-do

I see dead people
disregard...posted to wrong thread.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I would have to say there isn't enough vicks in the world to mask the smell of decomposing flesh.

And you know it is going to be a bad day, when you respond to a 60 unit apartment building, during the winter, for a man down, and when you get there, the other people that live in the building, are outside vomiting. Then finding out that, "mandown" meant dead for 12 days.

One more...
The sound of flies, lots of flies, on a dead, for a long time, body.

Ok, just one more, did I mention the smell of decaying bodies make me gag.
Know of a crew that responded to an apartment building because the people in the apartment below them had a "really" dead body seeping into/onto their dinner table, while they were eating. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hope I didn't gross anyone out. ;)

Tux

Forum Ride Along
As far as alcohol vomit,
woken up at 3am to "help" a budy of mine deal with another one of our buddies who was outside face down in a nice little lake of his own. Managed to wake him up, but he came up swinging. So Ten minutes later Im locked out of my room, in my underwear, with a black eye and covered in what was unmistakingly super nachos and a lot of alcohol of choice. And hes fast asleep again only this time on his side in his room.
I still cant eat super nachos, and my buddy still hasnt made that night up to me.

Nimrod_BasketCase

Forum Probie
Vomit and maggots. I hate seeing that commercial for Untold Stories of the ER and the person is just letting those maggots crawl all over them :unsure: .

CombatCasualtyCare21

Forum Probie
I would have to say there isn't enough vicks in the world to mask the smell of decomposing flesh.

And you know it is going to be a bad day, when you respond to a 60 unit apartment building, during the winter, for a man down, and when you get there, the other people that live in the building, are outside vomiting. Then finding out that, "mandown" meant dead for 12 days.

One more...
The sound of flies, lots of flies, on a dead, for a long time, body.

Ok, just one more, did I mention the smell of decaying bodies make me gag.
Know of a crew that responded to an apartment building because the people in the apartment below them had a "really" dead body seeping into/onto their dinner table, while they were eating. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hope I didn't gross anyone out. ;)

This reply in particular, and pretty much every other one on this thread, make the smell of blood seem rather refreshing.... :)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Almost forgot...

Suctioning out the mouth of a head injury and finding Gray Matter in the muck.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Dental injuries do it for me, mostly because it's like I can imagine what it feels like that creeps me out. Other than that, I might gag at some smells, but then I just kind of get used to them.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
eyeball injuries

and usually im good with DB's but on got me, hung in the shed for 4 days in august. guy baked in 100 degree heat. i puked

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Had my first hands-on/lab class today. We had to dip our gloved hands into bowls of "mystery goo" and then de-glove. I gagged a couple times. But I kept my dinner safely where it belonged! Gum will be my new best friend. One of my classmates mentioned that swallowing can help suppress the gag reflex. Gum and peppermint candies. My newest BFFs.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Had my first hands-on/lab class today. We had to dip our gloved hands into bowls of "mystery goo" and then de-glove. I gagged a couple times. But I kept my dinner safely where it belonged! Gum will be my new best friend. One of my classmates mentioned that swallowing can help suppress the gag reflex. Gum and peppermint candies. My newest BFFs.

..... Just putting your hands in something made you gag? lol

Oh...you are going to have an interesting time.

WoodyPN

Forum Crew Member
..... Just putting your hands in something made you gag? lol

Oh...you are going to have an interesting time.

Agreed.

Mine is suctioning. When I first started, just the sound could make me gag. Not so bad now but still gets to me.

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
Actually, I gagged before I put my hands in. Mostly because almost everyone else was making faces. Once I got to the bowl, I had stopped gagging.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
-Vomit (the sound, not the actual vomit)
-Colostomy bags
-Mucus (10 years as an RT and it still makes me uneasy)
-Eye injuries
-Child birth. That's my big one. 3 out of 4 deliveries so far, I've thrown up afterwards.
-Severe burns

Gray matter, decomp, etc do not phase me.

WoodyPN

Forum Crew Member
Havent done either, but im dreading Trach work and and catheterization work.

cath insertion, in my opinion of course, is really not that bad. Granted, every situation is different, but I really feel its relatively easy. I've only dropped five or so, 3 female, 2 male. Taken out well over 20, and that can be nasty. One time the balloon wouldn't deflate(back in school) so myself and instructor actually had to put some lubricant instead the woman and pull it out...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
How did lubrication help it get past the fact that it's physically sitting inside the bladder with a balloon to keep it in place?