I Think I'm Giving Up On My EMS Goals ( Kern County )

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
You probably come off as too aspiring and educated for an EMT position with the post-grad talk. They just want a warm body that will work there diligently for 25 years, not somebody that will get bored in a year and go to grad school. I'm sure that many of us have had to downplay our career ambitions a bit to get hired (I did).

Also, many companies want to hire EMTs that are already in medic school, so that they can be moved up quickly to a medic position at no cost to the agency once they've proven themselves competent in the field.
Everybody in my EMT hiring class was already a medic or in medic school, so you probably just got edged out by those guys.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Let me see if I have this right: 1) your SoCal, an area so oversaturated with EMS providers that paramedics have trouble finding jobs 2) you are a recent grad, with 0 experience working as an EMT 3) you feel like you deserve a job because you aced your EMT class, but weren't able to pass the NREMT on your first attempt and 4) you think: "Relocating isn't really an option at this point. And frankly, I shouldn't have to. The community I want to serve is right here, my home town. It would be utterly ridiculous for me to leave school, friends, family for an EMT wage elsewhere." I'm pretty sure I know why you weren't hired, and it had nothing to do with you having to commute for the job.

I got news for your buttercup: 1) no one cares about your commute, as long as you can do the job, and will show up on time for your shift. I used to cross 2 county lines to get from my house to my job; after I relocated, I had to do the same thing after my first job fell through. 2) people ***** all the time about being unable to find EMS jobs in SoCal, and these are paramedics.... what makes you think you are any different? 3) you are three years into your bachelors, and you stopped.... finish your degree, it shows you can actually complete something, instead of walking out after 75%. You mentioned you could get into a post grad program, or breeze your way through nursing school..... you should do both of those things, finish your degree and get into post grad, or get into nursing school and actually earn your nursing license. You'll make more money than you would ever make in EMS, and if after you decide you still want to be in EMS, you will at least you can say you finished what you started. 4) Grow up. you are brand new to this industry (or any industry really), in an entry level position where there are between 10 and 100 applications for every spot, and you don't think you should have to do anything and everything possible to get a job that you say you want? You're coming in at the bottom of the food chain, and expecting the world to accommodate your wishes. If I was a potential employer, that alone with scream "don't let this guy within 50 miles of the company, he will be nothing but headaches."

Best of luck with your search, if you really want to succeed, follow the advice that has been given to others, and move out of SoCal

To the OP... I'm working your said "dream job" at Hall, as it was my "dream job" to land as well. It took me three attempts to even get an interview before getting hired... But guess what, I eventually got hired. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't give up, and also, loose the self entitled attitude... It won't get you very far.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Self entitlement attitude is not gonna get you anywhere unless your name is Harvey. Be honest with yourself is Bakersfeild where you see yourself in 20 years? I would recommend you just give up now and move.