I START MY EMT CLASS IN 1 WEEK!!! any advice?

kkhartzog

Forum Probie
just take in all the knowledge you can. When I went through my class i studied the book and learned alot from it. But I also learned alot from my teachers. Most teachers have had their own experience so ask them about it. And when it comes to doing the hands on and your not understanding it ask your teachers to show you how they would do it. ^_^ i hope i helped

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Everyone pukes, just dont puke on me............or the patient. :)

Heh, only time I puked, was because I was working with the flu... :p

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
thanks for the advice guys. I thought about the other students and decided that if they would want to be decent and maybe develop a friendship or two then I'd be sociable. But, if they start crap and give me problems then the heck with them; I'm here to learn how to care for the pt., not argue and worry about what other ppl think. But, I will give them a fair chance, because that's how I am. by the way, I went and purchased myself a little celebratory gift yesterday: they said we would be responsible for supplies and equip. if we didn't like what they gave us, and they gave me a crappy stethescope, so at the advice of my aunt I went and got me a Littmann! And, they said that the scope around the neck is a strangulation hazard, so I got myself one of the holders that you can wear that holds it at your side.

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Think of the other students as a crappy partner on your rig. You have to work things out with them for your job. Make it work.

Don't go too crazy on the equipment front. You're more than set now for the entire course.

Hockey

Quackers
thanks for the advice guys. I thought about the other students and decided that if they would want to be decent and maybe develop a friendship or two then I'd be sociable. But, if they start crap and give me problems then the heck with them; I'm here to learn how to care for the pt., not argue and worry about what other ppl think. But, I will give them a fair chance, because that's how I am. by the way, I went and purchased myself a little celebratory gift yesterday: they said we would be responsible for supplies and equip. if we didn't like what they gave us, and they gave me a crappy stethescope, so at the advice of my aunt I went and got me a Littmann! And, they said that the scope around the neck is a strangulation hazard, so I got myself one of the holders that you can wear that holds it at your side.

No they didn't

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I went and purchased myself a little celebratory gift yesterday: they said we would be responsible for supplies and equip. if we didn't like what they gave us, and they gave me a crappy stethescope, so at the advice of my aunt I went and got me a Littmann!

Oh boy..
*facepalm*

It doesn't matter what stethoscope you have, if you don't know how to use it.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant

seriously thats what the cargo pocket is for and I after I pull it out of my pocket on a call it goes on my neck lol... also I keep a roll of tape on mine, comes in handy

JonTullos

Forum Captain

You're going to have to get along with your classmates, kid. My classmates were pretty uptight the first couple of days of class but it was mainly because we didn't know each other yet and it took us a little bit to figure each other out. Now we all get along great and I hope to work with at least a couple of them in the future. Also, I find it hard to believe that anyone told you that a scope around your next would strangle you. If that's the case then why does every EMT and medic I know keep their around their neck at any given time? As for the brand of scope, it doesn't really matter. As long as you can hear breath sounds and the heartbeat then that's all that matters. I also concur with what someone else said: Keep the thing in your cargo pocket when you're not using it. Seriously, it fits just right and looks a lot better than having another pouch on your belt.

But, hey, it's your money... although you could have just given it to me. ;)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I do have a friend who was choked when a psych pt grabbed his scope. Needless to say he just tosses it over his shoulder now. I keep mine in the truck, usually hanging on the crash netting. There is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever wear a "holster" to carry my 'scope. Holy smoke. The abuse that would rain down on that person from the crews here would be awe inspiring.

And BTW, a stethoscope is only as good as the person using it. Learn how to use yours. Ask plenty of questions. When you're doing your ED rotations and an pt with airway issues comes in, ask to listen to the lungs. When you hear something you don't understand, ask a nurse or a medic. Most will take the time to educate you. Learn what you're listening to and don't fall into the trap of calling anything other than normal breath sounds "junky". (One of my pet peeves.)

And since you spent your money on a good scope, treasure it and keep it through your career. From the sounds of it, you're either gonna be a paramedic by the time you're 20, or you'll spend so much money on 'scope holsters and whacker belts attachments that you'll be broke and won't be able to afford medic school! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ditchmedic

Forum Probie
starting your medic class

Congratulations, much of what was needed has been said. As an instructor I give you this advise: Listen, take notes, when practical time comes offer to go first if nobody steps forward. When you get to ride alongs and hospital rounds, make yourself useful. Obnoxious no-it-alls can be fixed by not passing the "affective" aspects of the class. You are currently below ground zero. Passing your class is a beginning, not the end. Good luck.

imurphy

Forum Captain
I'm glad your eager to start, and excited about 80% of the calls that you'll get will be Medical Emergencies, the other 20% will be Trauma"

Not to forget when you finish, check which company to work for. And where in the company you're going.

Not to be too blunt, but employers may look at "Teenager, new ticket, Inter-Facility Transport only. "

rmellish

Forum Captain
I hate to be critical but that is goign to be 1 tough bunch to work with. Hard headed, obnoxious, egotistical, the works. I stood there for a minute getting to know them and took a second to create a mental profile of each of their personalities.

Hate to break it to you, but it's not the cub scouts any more. It's a personality very common amongst EMS folks, not all though.

Plus I'm really wondering what you're basing all this on, you strike me as someone who really doesn't have a ton of life experience under your belt.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Hate to break it to you, but it's not the cub scouts any more. It's a personality very common amongst EMS folks, not all though.

Plus I'm really wondering what you're basing all this on, you strike me as someone who really doesn't have a ton of life experience under your belt.

Would you rather EMS folks to have personalities more like cub scouts?

Durchii

Forum Probie
Don't be discouraged when you mess something up. You will completely destroy the rest of your class experience, as well as your Clinicals, if you decide to let your emotions get in the way. You are new to true BLS, you are going to screw up a few times. Learn from it and move on.

Don't be discouraged either by people telling you to calm down, either. You're very excited about getting into EMS and it's terrific that you're interested in the curriculum thus far. Just focus on everything and be as excited as you want... but when it's appropriate. When you're in class, or in the field, be calm, speak slowly, clearly and distinctly and act professionally. Also, try and avoid making every conversation with your family and friends about the "wicked cool" TA you saw last night. It's amazing to you, dull and/or disturbing to them most of the time. I learned that lesson real quickly.

Read your Practical Worksheets and memorize them back and forth. When I first took my Basic Course, I found myself with all the information I needed to provide emergency care, but little sense of order with what they wanted during my Practicals. I literally had to cram the final night to fit it all in, and I still ended up taking my Trauma Assessment twice due to not saying 'Scene Safe? Good. BSI has been taken.). Even if you don't know how to perform proper spinal immobilization yet, know where it fits on the list.

Anatomy and Physiology is the main course of any medical profession. Have a good grasp on it, and you will be ahead of the curve.

Lastly, and most importantly, good luck. You'll do great!

P.S. I bought a new Stethoscope and BP Cuff my first week too (Mostly due to the fact that they did not issue us either of them for use outside of class). You're new to EMS, you're excited, I sympathize. Just don't buy an entire Jump Bag for your car ("Just in case!") before you even know how to use it. And, also, don't take your brand new Littmann with you during your Ambulance Clinicals. You will be chastised for it by your Medic and, in almost all likelihood, lose it.

:D