I should wait to apply right?

That1Guy

Forum Probie
New EMT, I currently have my NREMT-B certification, however I'm waiting for my state license to come (already turned in the paperwork). It will probably be in a month or so. Should I wait to apply to ambulance companies until after I receive my state license? Or since it's just a matter of time, should I start the job hunt now and see if an employer will use my license as a tentative date of hire. I'm a little antsy because a lot of people graduate the EMT programs where I live at the same time so they all rush out into the job market. Don't want to be left out in the cold :unsure: Whatdya think?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ask the companies if you have to have the EMT Cert in hand in order to apply. If they say no then apply, if they say yes then don't apply.

In CA most places will want the cert in hand before you apply.

OP
OP
T

That1Guy

Forum Probie
hmm that's what i thought, but good idea. can't hurt to ask about it right? grazie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
hmm that's what i thought, but good idea. can't hurt to ask about it right? grazie

Plus, by talking to them now, you're starting to learn who the right people are to talk to. If they tell you that you'll have to wait to apply, once you get your cert you can call back and say, "Hey Angela, it's Brett. We talked about a week ago and you said to call back once I have my state cert. I just received it and I'm excited to start the application process. What do I need to do first?"

These types of conversations, if done right, will yield amazing results.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
I got my temporary CA state license with my EMT license number two days after I turned in all the paperwork. My status on the central registry site now says "Active," so I assume I can start applying for jobs once I get my ADL.

If you haven't already, you should get your temporary license soon, via email.

OP
OP
T

That1Guy

Forum Probie
Plus, by talking to them now, you're starting to learn who the right people are to talk to. If they tell you that you'll have to wait to apply, once you get your cert you can call back and say, "Hey Angela, it's Brett. We talked about a week ago and you said to call back once I have my state cert. I just received it and I'm excited to start the application process. What do I need to do first?"

These types of conversations, if done right, will yield amazing results.

Yeah I can see how that would be a definite advantage. Can't underestimate networking at any capacity.

OP
OP
T

That1Guy

Forum Probie
I got my temporary CA state license with my EMT license number two days after I turned in all the paperwork. My status on the central registry site now says "Active," so I assume I can start applying for jobs once I get my ADL.

If you haven't already, you should get your temporary license soon, via email.

Really? I wasn't aware that there were temp licenses. I just mailed my paperwork in on Monday and it should get to the agency Wednesday. I take my ADL test Wednesday too so if all goes well and I get the temp license I may be ready to go by the end of the week!? :D

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Really? I wasn't aware that there were temp licenses. I just mailed my paperwork in on Monday and it should get to the agency Wednesday. I take my ADL test Wednesday too so if all goes well and I get the temp license I may be ready to go by the end of the week!? :D

Yeah, the temp license was basically a PDF copy of a letter with my state license number (Exxxxxx). It says it's good for 45 days, while you're waiting for your official card to arrive. My status on the central registry showed up as "Active" 3 days or so after I received the email.

Good luck on the ADL!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't get these counties making people wait for their certs. I think LA county says it takes 30-60 days... I lived in Ventura county when I worked in LA county so I certified there. They hand you your card before you leave.

The ADL does take a while. But they should give you a temporary. Network if you can. Be aware that if you don't have all of your certs required, and apply, you may not be able to reapply for 6 months or a year as some places have minimum wait times.

MrJones

Iconoclast
Out of curiosity, are there states other than California in which one's ability to practice as an EMT, AEMT or Paramedic is dependent on the approval of a government body below the state level (city/county/etc)?