I passed the MA Emt-B test!

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
I passed the MA EMT-B test! :D Now I Just have to apply to jobs..OI! Cape Cod and Plymouth area. I have been told by people in the field to apply to cape cod ambulance and TRY the local town fire depts, but also go to Plymouth area and look there. Any one have any other suggestions?

I am also considerng taking the national test. Good idea? Worth it?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
NREMT gives you options. Most states require it at initial certification, I'll let you decide the answer for yourself.

SHFD

Forum Ride Along
I'm actually dual certified in NH which is NREMT, and MA. It' necessity for me because I work on the Northshore, and Somerville area, but I'm a volly FF in NH as well. Living in the cape, being NREMT won't matter unless you decide to look into moving to another state for work, or just farther inland where you could commute to a NREMT state. But since your new, that shouldn't really be a concern, just find a service in the cape and practice there for a while.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
thank you SHFD. Its always a possibilty that i move back to RI (who is national) but I doubt it for now. I will be looking for cape cod & counties nearby that for jobs for now. thanks!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Take your NREMT now! Why wait and then have to spend the time studying all over again? That way if it turns out you need it down the line, you'll have it.

As for companies on the cape/southcoast...

There is Cape Cod Ambulance, AMR Cape Cod Division, AMR in Plymouth, STAT in the Dartmouthish area, and Brewster in Middleboro. I think Eascare has a base somewhere down that way too. The problem is that there are so few hospitals on the cape that there just isn't a giant need for IFT companies.

Some towns have paid on call/volunteer fire departments that might be looking for EMS people. Brewster, Truro, Wellfleet, Ptown, maybe some others too idk.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Woohooo good job!

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

jona2125

Forum Probie
Congrats on passing. I also would recommend taking the NREMT test just because it's fresh in your mind and it's nothing but a benefit to you now and later.

OP
OP
cynikalkat

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
thanks guys. I will look into the national test. I think its a good idea anyway. Thank you Tigger for the info on CC and area. I sent out some feelers yesterday and will be redoin resume & stopping in places later this week when I'm off work. I'm hoping that if I can't find a job right away, I can at least volunteer w/ Brewster or somewhere. I live in Dennis and I know places liked Barnstable accept volunteer but you have to live really close. I'll find out more info this week.

thanks again! :) kate

SHFD

Forum Ride Along
If you can find a decent area to volunteer that would be my first choice if you can afford to. Privates are frustrating because IFT's only offer experience to a point, and you begin to adopt bad habits in that kind of sleazy environment. When there's no profits involved, it becomes about having fun, learning, and even helping people. Definitely do your research and try to ask around.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you can find a decent area to volunteer that would be my first choice if you can afford to. Privates are frustrating because IFT's only offer experience to a point, and you begin to adopt bad habits in that kind of sleazy environment. When there's no profits involved, it becomes about having fun, learning, and even helping people. Definitely do your research and try to ask around.

That last line pretty much sounds like what we do at my private company. Are there people with bad habits there? You bet. Does that mean that you have to fall into them? Absolutely not. You can get a lot of valuable experience very quickly if you can figure out a way to get hired, as you can bet on a steady call volume. Plus, working for IFTs at many MA companies doesn't mean doing transfers all day if you can find the right company.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
That last line pretty much sounds like what we do at my private company. Are there people with bad habits there? You bet. Does that mean that you have to fall into them? Absolutely not. You can get a lot of valuable experience very quickly if you can figure out a way to get hired, as you can bet on a steady call volume. Plus, working for IFTs at many MA companies doesn't mean doing transfers all day if you can find the right company.

I think Tigger's pretty much got it right. While volunteer services certainly do more often than not attract members who are passionate about EMS and helping others (they are, after all, volunteering), this isn't exclusive to volunteer services, and definitely does not exclude IFT services.

As far as avoiding bad habits, the best way to do that is to not start with them in the first place. As the new guy or girl it can be difficult not to, especially if the slacking off is done by more experienced members. Just trust your instincts and realize that you know right from wrong and go from there.

And, while your mileage may vary, I agree that IFT can be a great place to start out an EMS career. As stated earlier you will have a fairly steady call volume, you'll you'll be able to practice things like driving, writing reports, assessing patients, and communicating with other providers in what is somewhat of a more controlled environment than is often found in 911. Plus, it's not all dialysis and discharges...while that is certainly a piece of it, true emergency calls do occur with more frequency than many realize.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief