I no longer speak EMT

JPINFV

Gadfly
Vene, just remember, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." If EMS is worth fighting for, than fight for it. As long as the people who think EMS is worth fighting for refuse to fight, no change can occur.

RockDoc

Forum Probie
EMS is pretty simple to me. It never will be at the level I would like it to be, because perfection is hard to achieve.

At the end of every run, whether it be a sick call or a code, I used to ask myself "Did I make a difference for the better?" Anytime I could answer that question yes I felt that I had accomplished my goal. There are different levels of "better" and I always strived to reach the highest level, though not always succeeding.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Here's a thought Vene...

Maybe what you're doing is buying mobility with your time, focus and money.

If EMS is your first love, there's probably someone somewhere out there that can make real good use of you.

Mybe you're banging into trees and have lost sight of the forest. Besides, whose voice do you want to listen to anyways, them or yours?

8jimi8

CFRN
Maybe the best thing you can do is get double boarded and then start your own ambulance company.

harryb714

Forum Crew Member
If I'm looking up a quote in a medical/health care text book, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation for the language to be used to be medical in nature. I would expect "fracture" to be used instead of "broken bone." Similarly, I expect books directed to, say, paralegals to use the term "tort" instead of "lawsuit."

Good point. I think I misinterpreted the original post as "I am to smart for EMT talk".

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Maybe its the book he was looking at. If it weren't for this thread I wouldn't have noticed my EMT-B book constantly using the term hemorrhage instead of bleeding. Here I thought learning the clinical terms was part of the job. Haven't looked in the index though, maybe that will still say see bleeding when I look up hemorrhage.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Maybe the best thing you can do is get double boarded and then start your own ambulance company.

I am already working towards double boarded, and EM is certainly not part or getting added to it.

8jimi8

CFRN
I am already working towards double boarded, and EM is certainly not part or getting added to it.

I don't blame you. I also don't have to worry about you forgetting about us when you get there. At least you understood the point and didn't aim for the minimum standard on your way.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
When they get to 3000 posts?:)

As the person with the second most posts on this forum (after excluding the person who has obviously futzed with their post count), there is no magical post limit.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I would like to think a majority of my posts are quality over quantity.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I am frequently told that, but right now the dilemma is what can I offer to EMS?

Because I am not sure, and it is not like I can go to the superiors who are always bashing it and ask them. Like I said, I don't want to quit, but I don't know how to move forward.

Right now? You can finish your education, and keep persuading people in EMS to be better providers. Whether that's by forums like this, being an instructor, or whatever is fine.

Down the road? You can start up that blog you've thought about and make it into a useful resource for those of us who actually want to self-study or think about these issues. If you like, it can stop there. If you want to do more, you could become a researcher, a medical director, or all kinds of things. You certainly have something to contribute, and you're not too far away from a point where you'll have the credentials for people to take you seriously.

EMS people, that is... many of them aren't really willing to listen to doctors who haven't been field providers. It'll be many years before the medical establishment really takes notice, I think, and a lot will need to change before that happens.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

This probably depends on the state, but it isn't always a requirement that a Medical Director be boarded in EM. One of my last MDs was a GP.

No, it was not an optimal situation, but it worked.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
This probably depends on the state, but it isn't always a requirement that a Medical Director be boarded in EM. One of my last MDs was a GP.

No, it was not an optimal situation, but it worked.

Many of the older emergency docs are actually IMs. Because they finished residency before EM even existed.

It is dependant on the location, but there is a definite march towards making it an exclusively EM position. I have worked under GPs and even a psychiatrist.

I mentioned in another thread that if that is what it takes to move EMS forward and restore proper authority to the medical director, then it is most certainly a good idea.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
EMS people, that is... many of them aren't really willing to listen to doctors who haven't been field providers.

As an aside, this still confounds me. I took a card class refresher yesterday. The difference was this one was physician led, and darnint if I didn't actually LEARN quite a bit instead of the norm at these things. I thoroughly enjoyed a card class for once. Yet there were a couple of other field providers there who's eyes started to glaze over and looks of confusion reigned 15 minutes into the first class. I overheard "we don't need to know this stuff" and "the docs just don't understand" being muttered in the hall after talking about some simple acid-base concepts.

I just don't get it sometimes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Many of the older emergency docs are actually IMs. Because they finished residency before EM even existed.

...however those same docs had the option of receiving board certification via a practice route.