I need to learn...

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
So last night I'm telling medic03 how I haven't flown anyone in a while.

Of course, this morning, horse accident - the pt flipped over the front of a horse into the gate she was trying to jump.

Guess what, called the bird.

Only cool thing is that we landed them at the Coast Guard Station, and all the Coasties were taking pics - hopefully they got a good one of me, lol, I don't have many "action shots". :) I was running with the stretcher holding up the IV bag and having her squeeze the hell out of my hand because of the pain she was in and the fact that my FD does not carry narcs. (The Corps does, oh how I missed them.)

But man I gotta learn to keep my mouth shut.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You really should be saying, "I hope no one takes a picture of me while I'm doing this <enter real cool action here>." Then again, say something like that and you'll probably have every media outlet on scene of every call for about a month.

LOL

Be sure to share pictures if you get them.

:D

Luno

OG
Premium Member
That's a lot of ice cream to buy :eek:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
ICE CREAM?!?! Did I hear ICE CREAM?!?! Count me in!!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I got to ride my first trauma transport as a "crew chief" with my one squad on saterday night. Serves me right. I finally am in charge, and between 2a and 6a did:

The drunk psychotic guy who wants to cut himself open from head to toe with a razor blade

The 18 y/o 100lb female who passed out after having 4 or 5 beers, but "I know my limits, and that's below my limits"

the 19 y/o who ran his car off the road on a bad corner, took out a telephone pole, almost took out another, and wound up in a church parking lot. With just a LITTLE ALSOB

The 15 y/o diabetic, sugar of 35 that we wrestled with for almost half an hour for the medic to get a line...

Jon

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Great stories everyone!

Tomorrow is my first day back in the rig, and I'm working a new unit that does X calls then gets off for the day. It could be a good thing or bad thing, we'll see. I can only hope I get calls like yours :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 8 2005, 01:48 PM
and having her squeeze the hell out of my hand because of the pain she was in and the fact that my FD does not carry narcs.
You don't need Narcs.... Oxygen Therapy is very good at relieving pain. If that fails, try Modified Oxygen Therapy. That will at least shut up the screaming. :D :rolleyes:

Erika: What is your usual ETA to a Trauma Center by ground?

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 27 2005, 08:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 27 2005, 08:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@May 8 2005, 01:48 PM
and having her squeeze the hell out of my hand because of the pain she was in and the fact that my FD does not carry narcs.
You don't need Narcs.... Oxygen Therapy is very good at relieving pain. If that fails, try Modified Oxygen Therapy. That will at least shut up the screaming. :D :rolleyes:

Erika: What is your usual ETA to a Trauma Center by ground? [/b][/quote]
She had O2 therapy but the flail chest and punctured lung, paired with the femur fracture and pelvic fracture hurt more than the O2 could possibly relieve... and there were too many witnesses for modified O2 therapy...

At the firehouse in Eaton's Neck, it takes 20 - 30 minutes by ground, full lights and sirens. The fastest I've ever gotten there was 17 minutes, but it was 3am and no one was on the road. It would have taken longer with this patient because each bump was agonizing, and it was Sunday morning so we would have had to go much slower than usual to help her pain and because of traffic.

In Commack, we have 4 hospitals in relatively close proximity - three are trauma centers and it takes 10 -15 minutes or so to the closest trauma center from wherever we are in district. We also have a 4th hospital just outside district but they're not trauma.

ECC

Forum Captain
There is no way you made it to USB in 17 minutes.

HH mebbe...na huh for USB! ;)

PS my Company made it to Fire Engineering this month in an article by Denver D/C Dave McGrail about weapon selection.

Those in the picture owe the whole department Ice Cream! ;) ...No, I was not one of them...to was B shift, I am on C

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ECC@Jun 3 2005, 03:00 PM
There is no way you made it to USB in 17 minutes.

HH mebbe...na huh for USB! ;)

PS my Company made it to Fire Engineering this month in an article by Denver D/C Dave McGrail about weapon selection.

Those in the picture owe the whole department Ice Cream! ;) ...No, I was not one of them...to was B shift, I am on C
No, it's Huntington in 17 minutes. HH is a Level 2, and where 99% of our pts from Eaton's Neck go, while UHSB is a Level 1. UHSB is only that fast by bird.

ECC

Forum Captain
I would not take a cat to HH... ;)

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by ECC@Jun 3 2005, 04:30 PM
Funny that's the only thing I havn't transfered out from HH, but stranger things have happened.... :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC@Jun 3 2005, 03:00 PM

That is cool. I'll have to check it out.

OP
OP
rescuecpt

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ECC@Jun 3 2005, 04:30 PM
It's there, the VA for Vets, or St Catherines (formerly the prestigious St John's...)

:(