I have a few questions

Sandiistaken123

Forum Probie
I am a fifteen year old student who turns 16 in late summer, and I want to work enough jobs to afford EMT training and my own jump bag. So for now, I'm browsing amazon for options.

What are the contents in this jump bag, specifically the colored pouches and kit accessories? Also if you can figure out what the medicines in the mesh compartments are, that would be helpful.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a fifteen year old student who turns 16 in late summer, and I want to work enough jobs to afford EMT training and my own jump bag. So for now, I'm browsing amazon for options.

What are the contents in this jump bag, specifically the colored pouches and kit accessories? Also if you can figure out what the medicines in the mesh compartments are, that would be helpful.

I suggest you get some EMS training before you start buying EMS equipment. You'll learn a lot about how things work and what is expected of you. And you won't necessarily need your own bag.

ffemtrb

Forum Probie
I would look at the requirements your state has for EMS training and the minimum ages you need to be to take an Emergency Medical Technician(EMT) or a Certified First Responder(CFR)/Emergency Medical Responder(EMR) course. I would not purchase any expensive jump bag until you have training and know what equipment you need. For most courses you do not need an expensive bag. You start with a stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, penlight, notepad and a watch with a second hand. You might want to start by reaching out to organizations in your area, talking with them about becoming a member, asking about training available. You also might ask about doing a ride along, if they allow it, to find out how things really are in the field on calls. While a colorful jump bag looks impressive, you knowledge, skills and abilities are more important. I hope EMS is for you and I wish you well on the start of your journey. We need more EMS responders on a nationwide level.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I know you have not started training yet, and its a great goal. Focus on the learning and education stuff, worry about equipment and bags later....cause whether you choose to believe me or not, here is what you need:

1. Gloves
2. Cell phone (charged)
3. Tourniquet
4. Know the number for 911. :)

That is it.

OP
OP
S

Sandiistaken123

Forum Probie
I know you have not started training yet, and its a great goal. Focus on the learning and education stuff, worry about equipment and bags later....cause whether you choose to believe me or not, here is what you need:

1. Gloves
2. Cell phone (charged)
3. Tourniquet

That is it.
Alright, thank you for telling me :D

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I wouldn’t get that bag at all. Like the others have said, get trained first. Then get some experience. After you have a little experience you’ll realize that the bag you are looking at is full of stuff you’d never need. In my personal truck I just carry a stop the bleed kit which has a chest seal, TQ, and a thing of gauze, plus a pair of gloves. That will handle most of what I’d need if I came across something while driving.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout

1. Gloves
2. Cell phone (charged)
3. Tourniquet

I would make tourniquet plural and add knowing how to use them before they are needed. But that's me in a rural environment where farm accidents and MVCs far from assistance are not uncommon.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You should get the Army assault M5 bag you can from Galls or LAGear and fill it with identical, standardized first-aid kits and gauze rolls from Amazon. Then buy two Chinese handheld radios and program them to your county emergency dispatch and your school. Then gut a riggers belt and a radio strap x2, crosswise over your chest so you’re an x-man. Then a pair of Raptor scissors, two lights and a helmet. Get the IR beacon for on top of the helmet so you can guide in helos (not the red light, that makes you look like an dork) and the little head lamp for hands free vision.

Now, because preparing is key, you need to have them always around you. All the time. Your friends will love it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey @Sandiistaken123, I was not unlike you, many years ago. I wanted the coolest jump bag and best first aid kit I could have.

Now? Not so much. I've got narcan in my glove box, and a handful of nitrile gloves in my car door. There's a reflective vest in the trunk, and that's about it. I do have a jump bag that comes out when I get asked to do first aid for a Scout event or something else - but otherwise work provides the gear I need to be successful.

Go through the class, start working, and then look at what everyone else is doing before you start buying stuff. Good luck!