I hate those ASPCA comercials

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Well THAT sure got folks talking!

Did anyone here make a donation after reading the thread?

If so, it worked. If not, time for a new ad agency.

Life is simple

nope.
I don't fall for the crocodile tears type of ads.
Even though I would help out a animal if I see one needs help.

Many of those Vets you speak of are Vietnam era vets. Something many do not realize is that these vets were not welcomed home with open arms as today's soldiers are. They were shunned, shamed and forgotten.
This was do to the political climate of the times, but now we have many suffering and forgotten soldiers of a war most people wish to forget.

These guys have long enduring scars of the soul that we may never be able to comprehend, the least we can do is show them some tolerance.

I do volunteer work with the Homeless, expect anything. They are unpredictable, volatile, and quite simply a mental quandary. One can never perceive how a homeless person will react to help being offered. All I can figure is that after years of being homeless, the homeless go into some sort of self preservation mode as perverse as it might be.

So true. It is sad how the vets that survived that war are pushed into the shadows most of the time. Many judge and get frustrated with them for their chronic drinking problems, but don't realize the often root cause of the drinking. Drowning out the memories. Many did not have or could afford a shrink to talk to after coming home from battle.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Medic... while I agree people should come first I think it's wrong to judge people about what cause they feel most passionately about. I'm sure many could also argue that environmental issues are more important than the homeless problem, because an environmental disaster has the potential to harm or kill everyone on this planet.

There are a few causes I am passionate about mostly because of some kind of personal experience or connection with them... and made me more aware of the larger problem. Pet overpopulation because I adopted two puppies from an abandoned litter and the rest of their healthy, friendly littermates had to be put down when the shelter ran out of room. Reproductive rights because I've worked in OB-GYN and seen firsthand what my patients experienced. Adoption/foster care issues because I'm an adoptee.

I think the homelessness problem is a totally worthy cause, but I can only devote so much time, energy and money to such things. And for personal reasons, I choose to invest elsewhere in stuff that really gets me fired up. I wouldn't be surprised if one day some kind of experience puts me more in touch with that issue, but in the mean while I'm just glad that people like you are involved in it because I do recognize it's important.

Isn't it great that so many people want to affect positive change in the world around them? I prefer to take that angle rather than "this is more important than that."

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
Many of those Vets you speak of are Vietnam era vets. Something many do not realize is that these vets were not welcomed home with open arms as today's soldiers are. They were shunned, shamed and forgotten.
This was do to the political climate of the times, but now we have many suffering and forgotten soldiers of a war most people wish to forget.

These guys have long enduring scars of the soul that we may never be able to comprehend, the least we can do is show them some tolerance.

I do volunteer work with the Homeless, expect anything. They are unpredictable, volatile, and quite simply a mental quandary. One can never perceive how a homeless person will react to help being offered. All I can figure is that after years of being homeless, the homeless go into some sort of self preservation mode as perverse as it might be.

I have the most respect for veterans, my brother, grandfather, an aunt and uncle have all or are serving. My point was that is 50/50 some can't help being there and some can.

Are you one of the people that applauds and writes comments of approval when a hunter gets shot and killed by an animal rights activist? If my fellow humans are not of more value than an animal I have to say my priorities are screwed up. I value animal life but would not put them above human life, except on cases where it is a human that acts worse on purpose than any animal ever could, those kind of humans need the death penalty.

Heck no! I'm not a part of PETA, thanks. That was my point, that some ppl just act like all animals are here for is out pleasure. I'm not saying that if it came down to my cat or my mom, that I'd pick my cat, cause I'd pick my mom! I wanted to be an animal cop for a part of my life. IDK how to explain my point well I guess, everyone has a charity that they favor, mine would be cancer research, animal shelters, or a wounded soldier foundation.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Heck no! I'm not a part of PETA, thanks. That was my point, that some ppl just act like all animals are here for is out pleasure. I'm not saying that if it came down to my cat or my mom, that I'd pick my cat, cause I'd pick my mom! I wanted to be an animal cop for a part of my life. IDK how to explain my point well I guess, everyone has a charity that they favor, mine would be cancer research, animal shelters, or a wounded soldier foundation.

Sorry for coming across rude. I have just met to many people that would have chosen the cat over mom.

I'm a member of PETA People Eating Tasty Animals.

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
So true. It is sad how the vets that survived that war are pushed into the shadows most of the time. Many judge and get frustrated with them for their chronic drinking problems, but don't realize the often root cause of the drinking. Drowning out the memories. Many did not have or could afford a shrink to talk to after coming home from battle.

My dad has owned a bar for all of my life and some before so. He and I share a great pride for this country and her veterans, tho of late not some of it's leaders, but he and I always listen to veteran's stories. He at his bar and me at any occasion, such as at work (O'Reilly Auto Parts, lots come in wearing veteran hats and such), or at a veteran's day parade I participated in, in high school. I wish that my grandfather (WWII veteran) would talk about his experiences, I know he has his reasons for not, but I think getting it off of his chest would help.

Medic... while I agree people should come first I think it's wrong to judge people about what cause they feel most passionately about. I'm sure many could also argue that environmental issues are more important than the homeless problem, because an environmental disaster has the potential to harm or kill everyone on this planet.

There are a few causes I am passionate about mostly because of some kind of personal experience or connection with them... and made me more aware of the larger problem. Pet overpopulation because I adopted two puppies from an abandoned litter and the rest of their healthy, friendly littermates had to be put down when the shelter ran out of room. Reproductive rights because I've worked in OB-GYN and seen firsthand what my patients experienced. Adoption/foster care issues because I'm an adoptee.

I think the homelessness problem is a totally worthy cause, but I can only devote so much time, energy and money to such things. And for personal reasons, I choose to invest elsewhere in stuff that really gets me fired up. I wouldn't be surprised if one day some kind of experience puts me more in touch with that issue, but in the mean while I'm just glad that people like you are involved in it because I do recognize it's important.

Isn't it great that so many people want to affect positive change in the world around them? I prefer to take that angle rather than "this is more important than that."

I agree, there are organizations and charities for good reason, I just feel some more important than others.

AtalantaAsh

Forum Probie
Sorry for coming across rude. I have just met to many people that would have chosen the cat over mom.

I'm a member of PETA People Eating Tasty Animals.

No not rude, I'm not good at explaining myself well enough. No my cat is like a child to me, tho not, but I'd choose my mom!

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
This is about the Human Animal

We've not lost the War gene. ALL the Advocates of this or that are engaged in a war for attention and resources. The causes come and go, but the War goes on, and we are the ones being bombarded.

i5adam8

Forum Crew Member
Are you one of the people that applauds and writes comments of approval when a hunter gets shot and killed by an animal rights activist? If my fellow humans are not of more value than an animal I have to say my priorities are screwed up. I value animal life but would not put them above human life, except on cases where it is a human that acts worse on purpose than any animal ever could, those kind of humans need the death penalty.

No one ever said anything about harming another person just because they hunt. I think the point is that certain people feel more sorrow for an animal because they are completely defenseless. It doesn't mean that they are a bad person just because they feel this way. I eat meat,I have no problem with hunting. But their is something that pains my soul about seeing an animal suffer that is different from the way I feel when I see human suffering....Does this mean I care less about human beings? of course not. I think you missed the point.