I hate my job...

reaper

Working Bum
Exactly what Rid stated. You can have compassion, without letting it eat you up!

Chelle

Forum Crew Member
You can also be an excellent EMT who is occasionally bothered for a time by what you've experienced.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I dont recall anyone saying it was "eating them up"... it effects you at the time and you cant help but reflect on it for a day or so. Then you move on.

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, you can be. I will not argue that. But, how long will you last? Those that take things hard and let it eat them up, normally do not last.

I have said before. Yes it is sad. Yes you can have compassion for that pt or family. But, remember that they are Pt's, not family. Do not let it eat you up.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I been a compassionate career & volunteer provider for the past 15 years... still going strong.

reaper

Working Bum
You are not one that lets it get to you! How many have come here an talked about a call they had 1-2 years ago, that still gets to them on scenes? Those are the ones that have to learn how to deal, or they will burn out mentally!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Would be nice if we could just let the doctor break the news. I do hate telling people nothing we can do. But I would rather do that than do a courtesy code to the hospital giving family and friends false hope.

If a person is to last in medicine they have to show compassion but at same time learn to distance themselves. A wise old doctor once told me that with education comes the understanding that the human body is a fine tuned machine. When it breaks we attempt to fix it. If unrepairable we inform the owner ( family ) that it is unrepairable. This allows you to focus on providing care w/o allowing emotions to overwhelm you.

I apologize for my blunt direct honest answers. But I also understand some people can not distance themselves enough and staying in this career will harm them in the long run, so for some leaving is advise for their benefit, not a way of calling them weak.

Medic, I really appreciate your last two responses. Thank you.

I completely understand the need to not wallow in sorrow over things that we ultimately have no control over.

Enough whining crying name calling fighting. Lets move on to a new discussion.

Chelle

Forum Crew Member
Is the definition of paragod someone who makes bold pronouncements of the thruth-according-to-themselves and then calls for all end of discussion when they are called on the carpet for it?

Just trying to understand here. I haven't whined, fought or cried. Only shared my honest thoughts and ideas. There is much to be gained from these exchanges. Iron sharpens iron.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Just trying to understand here. I haven't whined, fought or cried. Only shared my honest thoughts and ideas. There is much to be gained from these exchanges. Iron sharpens iron.

Did I say you had? No. I quoted your insightful response.

Who got called out and did not respond?

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
this is true... i tell my fiancee this, but she doesn't understand (as she is a nurse). More often than not, the "team" of doctors successfully recussitate someone... In EMS, thats not always the case... plus, 2 people Vs a team of doctors. lets look at it logically

1 doc 20 docs doesnt matter. To paraphrase Mother "nobody could have done any better back there with the limited resourses we have."

Chelle

Forum Crew Member
I thought when you quoted me you were talking to me about the whining, etc. My bad.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
Why does the age matter? Are you going to try harder to "save" a baby than baby's grandma? If yes you are admitting to deciding who needs to live or die. Death regardless of age is just part of life as we currently know it. If we allow ourselves to focus on it it consumes. All deaths that occur when I treating a person do cause pain but I do not dwell on what I have no control over. I review the case, so I can learn from it and go forward.

age does matter 1 month old is as close to innocent as we can get. Grandma had a chance at life and to effect it. The recent young one didnt have that chance. May sound cold but its true.

medic417

The Truth Provider
age does matter 1 month old is as close to innocent as we can get. Grandma had a chance at life and to effect it. The recent young one didnt have that chance. May sound cold but its true.

Well you could say that grandmother would be the one to mourn as you know more people knew and loved her and will suffer from losing her. The baby still is unknown so not many know and loved so less people suffer. But that is flawed as well.

Show respect and move on. Death is death.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
Well you could say that grandmother would be the one to mourn as you know more people knew and loved her and will suffer from losing her. The baby still is unknown so not many know and loved so less people suffer. But that is flawed as well.

Show respect and move on. Death is death.

We are all different in what moves ( doesnt move) us. and your right Death is death, just not always expected

EMTrainer

Forum Probie
Different viewpoint

Rid,

You and I apparently get something different out of the starfish story. Rather than unrealistic expectations, I view it as we do what we can for the ones that we can. The fact that we can't save them all is irrelevant. I've been in this business for more than 20 years and have also been a deputy coroner. Far from having unrealistic views, I am well aquainted with the fact that everyone dies and much of the time there is nothing we can do about it. At best all we do is delay it. At worst all we are is helpless spectators.

I came into this profession with eyes wide open and have no intention of leaving it. The two pieces I posted are both about accepting the parts of the job that suck and not letting them interfere with your ability to do the parts where you can make a difference.

I wish you well, but if you'll excuse me, I have some starfish to throw. :)

EMTrainer

Forum Probie
Different viewpoint

Rid,

You and I apparently get something different out of the starfish story. Rather than unrealistic expectations, I view it as we do what we can for the ones that we can. The fact that we can't save them all is irrelevant. Far from having unrealistic views, I've been in this business for more than 20 years and have also been a deputy coroner. I am well aquainted with the fact that everyone dies and much of the time there is nothing we can do about it. At best all we do is delay it. At worst all we are is helpless spectators.

I came into this profession with eyes wide open and have no intention of leaving it. The two pieces I posted are both about accepting the parts of the job that suck and not letting them interfere with your ability to do the parts where you can make a difference.

I wish you well, but if you'll excuse me, I have some starfish to throw. :)

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Honestly, I would want a provider to care for my kids who truly cares and immerses themselves in my child's care on a personal level. I dont care how smart you are or how many years of experience you have.... patients are not clinical objects. They require caring on a personal level.

I have a hypothetical situation for you to consider.

Your child needs brain surgery. There are two neurosurgeons at the hospital for you to choose from. One of them is widely considered one of the best in the entire world. The other is decent, but nothing special as far as neurosurgeons go.

The latter visits you, answers your questions with a tad bit of uncertainty leaking through in his voice, shakes your hand, pats your child's shoulder and tells them it will all be ok.

The former visits you and is very detached. However, he answers all your questions with complete confidence. And remember, he's ONE OF THE BEST IN THE WORLD.

Now which one would you pick? The doctor who will hold your child's hand while they die or the doctor who will not care about your child any more than his job requires him to while they get better?

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The point I was making with that statement is that I want a healthcare provider who truly values my childs life and see's them as a human being while at the same time being competent in providing their care. Compassion is sometimes the best medicine, unfortunately its not ever written into the protocols.

There are many other providers who are just as smart and on top of their game who can take the place of Rid and providers like him who are conceded and just do the "job" at hand without making any personal investment into their patients. I think being an educator may be the best place for you.

As a parent, I would have no problem putting my kids healthcare provider in check with their attitude and would not hesitate to ask for a new one. Arrogance and being conceded will only get you so far.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Arrogance and being conceded will only get you so far.

No one is saying we will not show compassion.

Glad to see you conceded the point.;) Think you were trying to insult Rid by calling him conceited.