I got Hierd!

Aaron schweizer

Forum Ride Along
So I'm a new EMT-B, and I got a job within 2 weeks of passing the NREMT. So if any fresh out of school EMTs have questions on how to get all your certs in order, let me know. Maybe it was just me, but I wasted so much time when I was getting all my certs in order (nremt cert, emt cert, med exam green card, ambulance driver cert). It was a long and gruling process and I would have loved to talk to someone who knew what I needed to do, and more importantly in what order I had to do them in, so I want to help those new EMTs to do that. If you have any questions let me know, don't make the same mistakes I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
first of all welcome to the Forums

second if your horrible at spelling then your gonna get chastised on these forums, so better fix up or use a spell check....

third, all of us EMT's in CA have gone though the process, so we all know hows its like...
how long did it take you to get all your certs? it took me about 2-3 weeks

mct601

RN/NRP
first of all welcome to the Forums

second if your horrible at spelling then your gonna get chastised on these forums, so better fix up or use a spell check....

third, all of us EMT's in CA have gone though the process, so we all know hows its like...
how long did it take you to get all your certs? it took me about 2-3 weeks

*you're

:p

And FYI not everyone has to go through the same process as you do, so the advice does not apply to everyone. I'm 100% positive my process here in MS is much more different than your process in the Democratic People's Republic of California ;) (or where ever you may be from) . Not burning you in anyway, just throwing this out there.

OP
OP
A

Aaron schweizer

Forum Ride Along
Took me about 3 to 4 weeks to get everything done. I was having problems with the order of things. Example, I went to get my ambulance cert at the DMV, and didn't know I had to go do a second live scan for the DMV. I know most people have been apart of the EMS for a while now, but just incase someone has not, I wanted to be of aid. And sorry for my spelling.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
*you're

:p

And FYI not everyone has to go through the same process as you do, so the advice does not apply to everyone. I'm 100% positive my process here in MS is much more different than your process in the Democratic People's Republic of California ;) (or where ever you may be from) . Not burning you in anyway, just throwing this out there.

haha fail for me :)

that is a true point for some reason i thought he was from CA i guess i need to learn to read :)

but anyways Aaron we appreciate all the help we can get for the newbies :)

yeah i thought i could do the Livescan at the DMV but turns out i had to go to the police station again, it really is a lot of running around!

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
First of all, congrats OP! I put in all my applications a couple of days ago (at six companies). I hope I get hired as quickly as you did.

I had all my certs together within a week. I found everything I needed to do online before I went anywhere, got both my Livescans done at the same time, and printed out and pre-filled as many forms as I could find on the Web. It definitely saved time.

The worst part of it was getting the ambulance certificate from DMV. I didn't pass the test the first time, had to buy their stupid booklet and study over lunch, then take it again--so I was at DMV for about 6 hours ;). I know it sounds like a rant, but I really believe some of the questions on that test were ridiculous. Most have nothing to do with emergency medicine, and are all about procedural BS that is between the ambulance service and the state (and which we were never taught in class because it would be a waste of time). For example, "How often does the CHP have to inspect ambulances?" OK, why do I need to know that as an EMT-B? I'm not running my own service here!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Most have nothing to do with emergency medicine, and are all about procedural BS that is between the ambulance service and the state (and which we were never taught in class because it would be a waste of time). For example, "How often does the CHP have to inspect ambulances?" OK, why do I need to know that as an EMT-B? I'm not running my own service here!

Actually, it has a lot to do with you. As one of the licensed crew members, you are accountable just as well as the ambulance company. Yes... you shouldn't be setting up the inspections, however if you're taking out an ambulance that you know isn't up to date or conforming to state law, you can be sanctioned as well as your company.

mct601

RN/NRP
Actually, it has a lot to do with you. As one of the licensed crew members, you are accountable just as well as the ambulance company. Yes... you shouldn't be setting up the inspections, however if you're taking out an ambulance that you know isn't up to date or conforming to state law, you can be sanctioned as well as your company.

He's complaining about get his cert from the DMV, no? Then yes, he should have to know the technical/operational aspect of the ambulance. The DMV has nothing to do with emergency medicine, pt care, or anything else.

Here in MS, we attend an EVOC class and either present or mail our results to an agency and get our 'EMS Driver' cert.

JPINFV

Gadfly
He's complaining about get his cert from the DMV, no? Then yes, he should have to know the technical/operational aspect of the ambulance. The DMV has nothing to do with emergency medicine, pt care, or anything else.

Considering that the California Vehicle Code is one of the entities (along with the county local EMS authority) that sets requirements requirements on what is required to be on ambulances and regulates how ambulances are operated and the DMV is the agency who conducts licensing to operate vehicles, including the ambulance driver certification AND that ambulances are a vital component to providing prehospital emergency care, I'd say that the DMV is very much deals with prehospital emergency care.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member

Here in MS, we attend an EVOC class and either present or mail our results to an agency and get our 'EMS Driver' cert.

That's what bugged me. DMV has to sink its little claws into everything, and demand fees for everything, and decide whether I can do my job or not. But what's new, right? There isn't even a class or any training, it's just a written test--does that prove I'm competent to drive an ambulance?

I figure that I can learn the technical/operational things on the job, since every ambulance is configured a little differently and every service does things a little differently. I do see the point about knowing whether your rig is even legal to go on the road, that is valid...I just don't feel like I should have to know all the the bureaucratic minutiae that goes on between state agencies and the service ("what form is used for this..."), and that's what a lot of the test questions felt like to me. They had nothing to do with patient care.

Anyway, sorry to threadjack. I shouldn't :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: anyway, I got the cert so who cares? Again, congrats OP!

mct601

RN/NRP
Considering that the California Vehicle Code is one of the entities (along with the county local EMS authority) that sets requirements requirements on what is required to be on ambulances and regulates how ambulances are operated and the DMV is the agency who conducts licensing to operate vehicles, including the ambulance driver certification AND that ambulances are a vital component to providing prehospital emergency care, I'd say that the DMV is very much deals with prehospital emergency care.

I think I worded my response terribly wrong. That's close to what I meant though- when I made the remark about it not dealing with care, I meant along the lines of it doesn't seem like it'd be responsible for quizzing you on specifics of medical care i.e. the stuff you learn in EMT class. but maybe it does, I'm not from CA and I realize this now haha.