I cant find what this means?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Heh, most of our 'IV' starts during ED clinicals lately have been INTs

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I actually didn't know anyone didn't call them saline locks.

As did I.

Every nurse, doctor, and medic out here refers to them as saline locks or just "a lock in the R AC"

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In Australia, they call them "bungs".

It was comical the first ALS call I ran with my Aussie partner when I asked him to pass me the lock and he didn't know what I was asking for. He then said we do not have locks but we have bungs...then he proceeded to hand me a lock. :)

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I'm just wondering if the instructor didn't know what an INT was, or if she just didn't know what INT stood for. There are alot of people that use acronyms for equipment but don't know what the acronym stands for. As long as she knows the applications and proper usage of an INT cap (saline lock) then what does it matter if she knows what INT stands for? We've only ever used the term saline lock. Plus we have two variations. 7" tubed and simple lock(no tubing). The nurses in the ED prefer the ones with the tubing, so those are the ones I usually order. We usually add the lock to the IV tubing so the whole system is filled when we charge the line. Then, since the hospital uses a different gtts, it's easier for them to change.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
We call them "locks". Used to use heparin, now everything's just NS.

Thanks, I was wondering if it was the same thing as a lock, the verbal description made it sound way more complicated.:p