I can't find a pair of pants!!!!

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi all,

I recently got a position with a vol fire department. Trouble is, I can't find navy blue cargo pants ANYWHERE! I've gotten my shirts, polo and duty shirt, no problem, but trying to find pants in the middle of the summer and nonetheless specifically dark blue cargo pants, is driving me crazy! Any ideas on what types of stores might carry them? i tried Macy's, Sears, JC Penneys's, Kohls. All of them had cargo pants but they were all in tan, white, and black only.

They said we can wear work pants, but I like to have someplace to put gloves, trauma shears, and such that isn't the same pocket as my cell phone, keys, wallet.

Thanks for any ideas you all got!
-Wu

SoCal

Forum Crew Member
I just ordered 2 more pairs of 5.11 EMS pants. They are awesome. They have the EMS pockets and such. Each pair was 50$ from 5.11's website, but the shipping was free.

Try those

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Unless you go to a specialty uniform store, you most likely will not find EMS pants anywhere but online, so your best bet is to order some.

In the mean time, Wal-mart carries black and blue ****ies work pants. They don't have a ton of pockets, but they are fairly durable, and should get you through until you can order some EMS pants.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi all,

I recently got a position with a vol fire department. Trouble is, I can't find navy blue cargo pants ANYWHERE! I've gotten my shirts, polo and duty shirt, no problem, but trying to find pants in the middle of the summer and nonetheless specifically dark blue cargo pants, is driving me crazy! Any ideas on what types of stores might carry them? i tried Macy's, Sears, JC Penneys's, Kohls. All of them had cargo pants but they were all in tan, white, and black only.

They said we can wear work pants, but I like to have someplace to put gloves, trauma shears, and such that isn't the same pocket as my cell phone, keys, wallet.

Thanks for any ideas you all got!
-Wu

1. Gloves can fit in any pocket, only really need 1 pair on you.
A. I had a small glove pouch for years I wore on my belt before I realized I really didn't even need that.
B. I now grab a pair when I am in the truck, no biggie.

2. Shears: Not really needed to be carried 24/7 but if you must consider this...I kept my shears in the small of my back tucked into my belt or shoved down in my boot.

3. Cell phone: Again not needed on every call, but I am a weirdo. I do not own a cell phone and I never carried one. There was a service phone available and it stayed in the ambulance. Maybe consider leaving yours in the console while on duty as to prevent damage or unnecessary interruptions?

4. Keys: Why are you carrying keys? Leave them in the console, leave them at the station or clip them on your belt a la janitor style.

5. Wallet: I have posted on this before and it varies by state laws. When on duty, I carry a color copy of my certs and license and carry a debit card. That is it. No wallet to worry about as you never know what circumstance you may end up in, so relieve yourself of that concern.

Basically, if you step back and reevaluate why you are carrying what you do and then think if you need to carry it all, you will find that a normal pair of work pants will work just fine.

Less is more...unless your reasons are more for conformity than anything else.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
akflightmedic:

Thanks! I think I might have posted this awhile ago, but I really don't carry that much stuff around.

Right pocket has wallet with certs, driver's license, but also credit cards and petty cash for food on the way back from a call or at the hospital cafeteria.

Back Pocket has gloves (2 pair)

Left pocket has keys (for my personal car, though I could probably leave these at station) and cell phone (personal phone so I can be reached in emergencies) if the phone is not on my belt. I usually kept my penlight and safety glasses in my right cargo pocket.

The thing is now the department I work on is on 2 different radio systems. When we get dispatched on one of them, we have to call on the other one that we are OOS, and then use the active radio for the rest of the call. The exception is for one of the city dispatchs that will allow response by computer and text messages (we have hundreds of units on this system so its preferred that we use the computer rather than blaring status reports over the radio 24/7). Anyway,I would prefer to keep the inactive equipment in a pocket rather than on my belt. I look goofy with a lot of crap on my belt. I don't even usually like having a steth around my neck. It sit in a box until i get a call where I will take it out and put it around my neck. After that, it goes right back into the box.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply or any other Farm supply store will probably carry both carhart and ****ies lines of work pants, both of them also make cargo pants. Like others said try galls or a local uniform shop if you want actual EMS pants.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I found some great Propper tac. pants at a local bargain center that specializes in hard to find clothing. Try asking around to the LEO's and other EMTs/medics in your area and see where they got the gear they had to buy.

OP
OP
W

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks guys for all of your help!

For reference, I found a good pair--at KMart! Cost be just under 20 bucks with tax included.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
5.11 pants for sure... i bought a pair and love them!

as for what you carry.

I usually carry my wallet and cell phone in the small velcro pocket by by ankle because they are the most secure of them all.

then in other various locations (depending on comfort and accessibility)
gloves: 2 pair just to be safe
EMT shears
A Pen and Pen light
a stethoscope (rarely)

note: what you want and where you want it is different for everybody.

cperschke

Forum Probie
Well, you've probably found what your looking for, but for anyone else that looks into this thread I highly recommend www.bdu.com They have a discount-clearance section called "the discount bdu" where they sell BDU's at about $10-$15.

8jimi8

CFRN
511tactical.com

love their gear. kneepads are a bit warm, but they sure are nice when you are grinding your patella into the blacktop!

Medic744

Forum Captain
Depending on what size you are and if you are male or female you could try Wal-Mart, they have ****ies work pants pretty cheap, or just visit the website directly.;)