Hybrid Program

Jalbritt

Forum Ride Along
(I posted this question in the educ/training section but have not received much feedback). Any thoughts on hybrid AEMT programs - positives/negatives? I took a hybrid EMT-b course, and was 1 of 3 to pass the class. I was good during clinicals and skills sessions, but I also realize that EMTb is BLS. AEMT is getting into ALS. Any feedback good or bad is much appreciated. The course I'm thinking of taking is through Lenior Communitiy College in NC.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not personally a fan, but i still remember when people learned things without PowerPoint. I cant honestly say whether there is a significant benefit to being in the same room with someone clicking through slides and reading them to me over a web based remote course.

If I had a choice between being in the same room as a vibrant engaging instructor v. learning remotely, I'd take the classroom. If your instructor is going to be a slide reading robot with nothing to add, perhaps you'll do equally well at home in your pj's.

I still wont be a fan of remote education or death by PowerPoint, but perhaps it has value in today's educational environment that i just don't see.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I still wont be a fan of remote education or death by PowerPoint, but perhaps it has value in today's educational environment that i just don't see.
As a full time dad, work horse, and husband who unfortunately dragged his feet through the mud going back to school, and who has finally began to reap the rewards of online coursework I can see the value.

Obviously it's circumstantial, and you get what you pay for I would imagine. Reputation, even with educational institutions, goes a long ways. And yes, no one likes DBPP.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
In the EMS realm no, not a fan of hybrid EMS classes. I mean take a step back and think about it. You have a group of individuals who know next to nothing about this field and you take away a great part of the classroom portion and make it online. When I was a skills instructor there was a distinct difference between the hybrid class and the traditional class. To put it simply, the traditional class far exceeded expiations in understanding not only the how, but the why and when. The hybrid class could only really give the how and when. The why is a big part of this job that people need to understand, while yes EMT is a entry level job understanding the why gets you up for success in paramedic school. Why do you give IV fluids, why needle cric, why needle d? You see where I'm going with this.

As far as general ed classes, yeah I'm a fan of hybrid. While I've never taken a hybrid class or an online class, my dad finished up his Bachelors degree while working full time. So theres something to be said about regular classes. In the EMS setting, I'm more for traditional in the classroom learning rather than staring at a computer screen and moving to the next slide.

OP
OP
J

Jalbritt

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I certainly agree that a traditional class setting is better. Unfortunately, a hybrid class is my only choice to move up to AEMT due to my work schedule, life demands, etc. As you mention CALEMT, I'm trying to figure out how to better understand the "why" part in such a setting. One thing to note is that I do have access to several EMT/Medic friends, which I think could be important in this type of scenario. Again, any more feedback is much appreciated.

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
Way back when I did my EMT as a hybrid. The online portion was through JB Learning, and was a combination of slides with narration, videos, and on line quizzes and end of chapter timed tests. This was followed by a week long hand on 'Boot Camp' where we did skills every day, eight hours a day for five straight days. This was then followed up by the State test (PA did not require NREMT at the time). Rocked every skill station and scored 98% on the written.

Went and took the NREMT a few months later because I wanted to get reciprocity in a neighboring state that required NREMT. Passed first time at around 74 questions. Later on I went on to become a Paramedic via the traditional class room method. I guess it is all about what you put into it and the hybrid course you choose.

OP
OP
J

Jalbritt

Forum Ride Along
Way back when I did my EMT as a hybrid. The online portion was through JB Learning, and was a combination of slides with narration, videos, and on line quizzes and end of chapter timed tests. This was followed by a week long hand on 'Boot Camp' where we did skills every day, eight hours a day for five straight days. This was then followed up by the State test (PA did not require NREMT at the time). Rocked every skill station and scored 98% on the written.

Went and took the NREMT a few months later because I wanted to get reciprocity in a neighboring state that required NREMT. Passed first time at around 74 questions. Later on I went on to become a Paramedic via the traditional class room method. I guess it is all about what you put into it and the hybrid course you choose.

Thanks for the reply and the feedback. Good to know others out there have succeeded in this format. It sounds like we had very similar experiences with the EMT hybrid. I poured myself into it and went on also to the NREMT and did great on every skills station - felt very confident - and passed the written the first time around. I guess that's why I have confidence moving forward with the AEMT in the same format.